2009 FORD ESCAPE DELIVERS BEST-IN-CLASS FUEL ECONOMY AMONG 4-CYLINDER COMPACT SUVS

igor

Goes to show how ridiculous the term "crossover" really is. It's either a station wagon or an SUV. I really haven't come across any "crossover" that doesn't naturally fall into one of those categories in my opinion.

The Escape is an SUV.

The Flex is a station wagon.

The CRV is an SUV.

The Taurus X is a station wagon.

The Edge is an SUV.

The Subaru Outback is a station wagon.

To avoid future confusion in marketing, I'd be happy to re-classify the rest of these "crossovers" for the world's automakers if they'd like.

The CRV is a station wagon, isn't it? It's based on the civic platform.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure about the EPA ratings for the I4 fusion. Just came back from a trip of over 400 miles, and got 32mpg in my I4 fusion 5 spd auto. Drove between 65-70 with AC. I would expect to get 34-35 with the new 2010 model under same driving conditions.

I had a similar experiece with my I4/auto Fusion last month while on vacation. I had a high of 33mpg on one tank. Overall, I averaged 30mpg for the entire trip which included 6 days of driving around at our destination. I'm very pleased.

Yeah, I think Ford has to get at least 30mpg highway out of new I4 Fusion and hopefully at least 32mpg. IMO, the new 3.0 has to be close to 30mpg highway also. 29mpg like it did in 2005 would be nice. These numbers are going to be important in this environment. Whatever it takes....electric steering, aluminum hood, wheel spoilers, special tires, regearing. Ford has to eke every mile per gallon out of these new vehicles. It's health depends upon it.

I'm curious, I've heard the term used before in an Escape review and now in your post read it again, but what are wheel spoilers?

I'm curious, I've heard the term used before in an Escape review and now in your post read it again, but what are wheel spoilers?

I believe they are just the little flaps that hang in the front of the wheel wells to help divert a little more air around the wheel instead of into it. Think of it as kind of a reverse mudflap.

I believe they are just the little flaps that hang in the front of the wheel wells to help divert a little more air around the wheel instead of into it. Think of it as kind of a reverse mudflap.

I thought that may've been what it was, but just wanted to make sure.

Yeah, I think Ford has to get at least 30mpg highway out of new I4 Fusion and hopefully at least 32mpg. IMO, the new 3.0 has to be close to 30mpg highway also. 29mpg like it did in 2005 would be nice. These numbers are going to be important in this environment. Whatever it takes....electric steering, aluminum hood, wheel spoilers, special tires, regearing. Ford has to eke every mile per gallon out of these new vehicles. It's health depends upon it.

It is sad that the current Fusion V6 numbers are below that of the Taurus.

I think it's actually the Aisin's gearing and shifting programming that creates Fusion rather lacking numbers. The JV 6-speed is tuned to deliver better ecomony than the Aisin units Ford has been using in the Fusion. Just changing the transmission would probably get the Fusion to 18/28. An upgrade of the 3.0 will probably get it to 19/29 without much issue (it better, anyhow).

The key for the Fusion, though, is the 4-cyl. I'm not impressed at all with the Escape's numbers. 20/28 is good, but just 21/28 would have been more meaningful; 24 combined instead of 23. Definitively better than the Rav4 as opposed to just when you consider hwy mileage. I think the best we can expect out of the Fusion is 21/31 or so in 4-cyl/6-auto form, which is not class leading at this point.

I think it's actually the Aisin's gearing and shifting programming that creates Fusion rather lacking numbers. The JV 6-speed is tuned to deliver better ecomony than the Aisin units Ford has been using in the Fusion. Just changing the transmission would probably get the Fusion to 18/28. An upgrade of the 3.0 will probably get it to 19/29 without much issue (it better, anyhow).

The key for the Fusion, though, is the 4-cyl. I'm not impressed at all with the Escape's numbers. 20/28 is good, but just 21/28 would have been more meaningful; 24 combined instead of 23. Definitively better than the Rav4 as opposed to just when you consider hwy mileage. I think the best we can expect out of the Fusion is 21/31 or so in 4-cyl/6-auto form, which is not class leading at this point.

I think it'd be awesome if Ford were somehow able to get the Fusion to have class-leading fuel economy. I wonder if they've tried to implement any weight-saving measures?

Gotta say l prefer the Escape to the Kuga any day. Have Ford fixed the problems easy fuel theft from the capless filling on the Escape just interested?

Last year, Ford introduced a new capless direct filling system on the Explorer and has since started spreading it to other models including the new Lincoln MKS, the Ford Flex and the Escape. The system has a number of advantages including the convenience of not having to mess around with the cap. The most important function of the capless system is a reduction in evaporative emissions during fueling. Unfortunately with gas prices on the rise, so are thefts of fuel. More and more drivers are coming out to their vehicles in the morning to that some thieving punk has siphoned the gas out of the tank. As a result sales of locking caps are on the rise at parts stores around the country. Too bad these items won't work for the Ford capless system.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/07/06/fo...as-fuel-thefts/

Gotta say l prefer the Escape to the Kuga any day. Have Ford fixed the problems easy fuel theft from the capless filling on the Escape just interested?

Last year, Ford introduced a new capless direct filling system on the Explorer and has since started spreading it to other models including the new Lincoln MKS, the Ford Flex and the Escape. The system has a number of advantages including the convenience of not having to mess around with the cap. The most important function of the capless system is a reduction in evaporative emissions during fueling. Unfortunately with gas prices on the rise, so are thefts of fuel. More and more drivers are coming out to their vehicles in the morning to that some thieving punk has siphoned the gas out of the tank. As a result sales of locking caps are on the rise at parts stores around the country. Too bad these items won't work for the Ford capless system.

That's all fine and dandy, but if someone really wants to steal something they will find a way to do so. Locking cap or not. I wonder how easy it is to pick the lock on a locking gas cap?

I highly agree. It is either a testament to the 3.5's economy or it's showing how badly the 3.0 is economy-wise, or maybe both.

it has nothing to do with the engines - it is just a testament of just how misguided Mazda/Aisin were in in deciding the gearing for their transmissions. the Fusion uses the transmissions with gears decided for Mazda6 and they are utterly too short for "sporty feel" - and subpar fuel economy.

Igor

locking gas caps provide a false sense of security - but all cars now are required to have anti syphoning device inside ... so even without a cap - the gas cannot be stolen - did you notice how the report said nothing about the increase of gasoline theft through the filler pipe? - just that of locking cap sales.

if you have a big tank, people will just drill a hole in it and drain it that way.

OH and BTW - I think you will find out about the gas theft anf Ford's Easy Fuel - it is on the refreshed Focus in EU.

Igor

Edited by igor

This reminds me of awards given for advances made in turntable technology just as CD's were first brought to market. Within 5 years, you couldn't give a turntable away at a garage sale.

With the Electric Car soon to become available, even the best gas and oil technology will soon become redundant. Check back in 5 years.

This reminds me of awards given for advances made in turntable technology just as CD's were first brought to market. Within 5 years, you couldn't give a turntable away at a garage sale.

With the Electric Car soon to become available, even the best gas and oil technology will soon become redundant. Check back in 5 years.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

not true, the hybrid can tow 1000lbs but it is strongly discouraged.

Why is the towing numbes so bad? The electic motors can easily be designed for any load. The battery does not add that much weight. I would say it is because of the Japanese hybrid transmission. When will Ford get a better transmission? Since generation 2.0 is designed for a greater variety of cars, will it be able to handle better towing? We might have to wait for generation 3 in the Edge.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

In 5 years, PHEVs will be offered by almost every company. Straight ICEs will have to compete on a gallons per 100 mile basis, and the number of buyers of straight ICEs will decline as PHEVs become cheaper and BEVs come into the market.

Ford had a multiple year head start on everyone else except Honda and Toyota with their own hybrid, yet will not be one of the first offering a PHEV.

Go figure.

In 5 years, PHEVs will be offered by almost every company. Straight ICEs will have to compete on a gallons per 100 mile basis, and the number of buyers of straight ICEs will decline as PHEVs become cheaper and BEVs come into the market.

Ford had a multiple year head start on everyone else except Honda and Toyota with their own hybrid, yet will not be one of the first offering a PHEV.

Go figure.

1) 5 years is LIFETIME in the car industry - a whole model cycle

2) PLEASE look into your crystal ball and tell me WHO will be the first to build PHEV

3) besides the $60k Tesla mid-size and $40 Volt compact - what other magical - perfectly positioned cars will meet your requirements in the coming years? What cards will make oil and gasoline burningcars obsolete the way CD's outmoded LP's?

PLEASE TELL ME - I DO NOT KNOW!!!

Igor

1) 5 years is LIFETIME in the car industry - a whole model cycle

2) PLEASE look into your crystal ball and tell me WHO will be the first to build PHEV

3) besides the $60k Tesla mid-size and $40 Volt compact - what other magical - perfectly positioned cars will meet your requirements in the coming years? What cards will make oil and gasoline burningcars obsolete the way CD's outmoded LP's?

PLEASE TELL ME - I DO NOT KNOW!!!

Igor

The answer will likely be Honda or Toyota.

The question should be, "Who will be the first to build PHEV in high volume at a profit".

Hmmm.............. but I thought, according to ml, that all cars needed to be diesel. Is he flip-flopping??? Or, is he more like a politician................. and will argue for any point that seems to be popular at a given moment.

He still has not explained how the grid will handle millions of electric cars. I also do not expect him to. Why bother with messy, realistic details when it is more fun to play with fantasy.

I sometimes imagine what it would be like to win the lottery............. yet, I do not sit down and work out my budget based on this fantasy.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. The first manufacturer that comes out with a car that runs on air, will corner the market. FMC is run by idiots, because they are not using all of their resources to beat everyone to market............. with their air powered car. Thus, they deserve to go out of business. :rolleyes:

What makes my fantasy any different than his???