Ford F-150 ranked as the most-American vehicle

V8-X

Exactly. Take small cars for example. If I were in the market for a new small car, here is the models I would look at:

Cobalt

Civic

Corolla

Accent

Sentra

Focus

Now, If I have 15-20K to spend, why would I limit my choices to two cars? It makes no sense. I like to have the satasification of knowing that I did all I could to get the most for my hard earned money.

Eh, depends where you want to draw the line I suppose. Some would put the Mazda3 in the sort-of-American camp....

Like I said above, some segments are still being addressed by the domestics. C-cars may still be one of them...then again, people seem to be eating up the Focus....for some reason???

Personally, none of those C cars appeals to me in the least....except MAYBE a Mazda3 5-door. If I needed a C-car, I'd bite the bullet on a C30.

Eh, depends where you want to draw the line I suppose. Some would put the Mazda3 in the sort-of-American camp....

Like I said above, some segments are still being addressed by the domestics. C-cars may still be one of them...then again, people seem to be eating up the Focus....for some reason???

Personally, none of those C cars appeals to me in the least....except MAYBE a Mazda3 5-door. If I needed a C-car, I'd bite the bullet on a C30.

I was just using C-cars as an example.

As for Mazda...sure, we know that they share a good bit with Ford, but I'm not so sure the average pro-American nut would be too willing to have one in his driveway.

Quick retort: America still produces more products than any country in the world.

What really matters is whether those products you talk about can be delivered to a world market, rather than a local market. All products are a service, however when that service is a manufacturing service, it lends itself to exchange and trade.

Since we are importing massive amounts of product from the global market, we have to provide the global market with value commensurate with the products we import, otherwise you end up where we are now with a $60 billion a month trade deficit, which causes us to borrow to the tune of $2 billion per day, 7 days a week.

The global market is not going to trade any of their goods for a McDonalds hamburger cooked in Hoboken New Jersey.

Edited by mlhm5

Well, perception is key. But I perceive the Silverado as far more "American" (whatever that means) than the F-150. When I hear the word Silverado, I think of cowboys on a ranch, riding horses and making dust, rocks, and of course Bob Seger. When I hear F-150, I see a truck supposedly being swung by it's tow hooks and supposedly stopping an air plane.

But I still don't understand this whole "more American" thing. I, for one, think it is completely arrogant considering Canada and Mexico are part of America as well.

of course P!

you hate the F-150....as a matter of fact you dislike most Ford products

i think of spanglish when i hear the word "Sliverado"

i think the Super Duty is more "American" than the F-150 though

What really matters is whether those products you talk about can be delivered to a world market, rather than a local market. All products are a service, however when that service is a manufacturing service, it lends itself to exchange and trade.

Since we are importing massive amounts of product from the global market, we have to provide the global market with value commensurate with the products we import, otherwise you end up where we are now with a $60 billion a month trade deficit, which causes us to borrow to the tune of $2 billion per day, 7 days a week.

The global market is not going to trade any of their goods for a McDonalds hamburger cooked in Hoboken New Jersey.

We still EXPORT goods to the tune of well over a TRILLION dollars a year. That's not exactly small potatoes.

Ford means different things to different people around the world.

In Australia, the Falcon is the most Australian produced car - it has the highest local content!!!

By comparison, Holden uses a lot of Chinese sourced parts in those Commodores and Pontiac G8s.

Ford means different things to different people around the world.

In Australia, the Falcon is the most Australian produced car - it has the highest local content!!!

By comparison, Holden uses a lot of Chinese sourced parts in those Commodores and Pontiac G8s.

Going by the drop off in Falcon sales, would it be safe to assume that there has been a drop off in Australian "patriotism" lately as well?

Seems like so many people in developed, democratic countries lately are becoming quite the self-hating lot. It's almost like most Americans feel guilty about being so great. Just curious if it seems to be headed that way there as well?

Edited by NickF1011

We still EXPORT goods to the tune of well over a TRILLION dollars a year. That's not exactly small potatoes.

The US's #1 export is middle class jobs, and the #1 engine of job growth in the U.S. today is the federal government purchases and federal government subsidized services.

The US's #1 export is middle class jobs, and the #1 engine of job growth in the U.S. today is the federal government purchases and federal government subsidized services.

As often as you post things that you seem to beleive are fact without proof, perhaps you should begin each of your posts with ........... It's my opinion.

40 mpg by 2012 or no sales eh? The Mayans predict the end of the world is December 21rst 2012......It's my opinion that their prediction is as accurate as yours are. :stirpot:

Edited by Ron W.

As often as you post things that you seem to beleive are fact without proof, perhaps you should begin each of your posts with ........... It's my opinion.

40 mpg by 2012 or no sales eh? The Mayans predict the end of the world is December 21rst 2012......It's my opinion that their prediction is as accurate as yours are. :stirpot:

I don't even try to fathom some of the posts Ron......but I do listen to My Aunts predictions......LOL

Oh and I only hope that there's a bunch of people that believe that, and do some mass suicide pact. Heaven's Gate all over again. I'm all for mass suicide...They are the weakest link, so Buh-bye, be done with it and make room for real people :)

Quick answer: America has offshored most its manufacturing base except for a few industries and they are on the endangered list.

Just in case you did not get the memo, Today the US has more manufacturing output that at anytime in history. We produce more, but we do just do it with fewer people. 100 years ago damn near everyone was involved in farming, now it only takes 2% of our population to grow our crops. Manufacturing is heading down he same road.

Just in case you did not get the memo, Today the US has more manufacturing output that at anytime in history. We produce more, but we do just do it with fewer people. 100 years ago damn near everyone was involved in farming, now it only takes 2% of our population to grow our crops. Manufacturing is heading down he same road.

Good point. Don't expect mlhm5 to get it though.