More on Ford high mileage engines.

seriously I don't see a 1 litre EB......in the Focus....Fiesta maybe, Focus maybe a 1.5, Fusion a 2.0...could be wrong, but 1.0 in a C car just sounds a little extreme in the diminuative dept.....

In the US 1 L would work better in a Fiesta.

1 L for sure in Europe for Focus.

I think 1 L would work in the focus with Dual clutch transmission and a few other improvements. Again a 1.5 L would be better.

Meanwhile...

"Volkswagen hired third party tester AMCI to find out and their numbers came out 24 percent better than EPA at 38mpg city and 44mpg highway.

Volkswagen dealerships are reporting strong demand for the brand-new 2009 Jetta and Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Some dealers have even sold out before their first TDI even showed up on the lot, despite the fact that customers won't actually be getting their cars for at least another month or so. The two-thousand dollar premium buyers are asked to pay along with diesel prices, which are hovering in the $4.70 to $5.00 range, have not hampered buyers' hankering for a new fifty-state diesel passenger car. It probably doesn't hurt that VeeDub oil-burners have a reputation for über-reliability, with a number of sales coming from past TDI owners."

Meanwhile...

"Volkswagen hired third party tester AMCI to find out and their numbers came out 24 percent better than EPA at 38mpg city and 44mpg highway.

Volkswagen dealerships are reporting strong demand for the brand-new 2009 Jetta and Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Some dealers have even sold out before their first TDI even showed up on the lot, despite the fact that customers won't actually be getting their cars for at least another month or so. The two-thousand dollar premium buyers are asked to pay along with diesel prices, which are hovering in the $4.70 to $5.00 range, have not hampered buyers' hankering for a new fifty-state diesel passenger car. It probably doesn't hurt that VeeDub oil-burners have a reputation for über-reliability, with a number of sales coming from past TDI owners."

In all seriousness, why even advertise that you had to get a third-party (who may or may not be impartial) to get better results then the EPA? Sounds like AMCI was using the old EPA standards to get their numbers..then again its not very hard to get better numbers then the avg that EPA gives out to cars (IE I can get 22MPG out of my Mustang if I baby it all the time going to and from work, but If I wind it out every gear it goes down to 19.7)

In all seriousness, why even advertise that you had to get a third-party (who may or may not be impartial) to get better results then the EPA? Sounds like AMCI was using the old EPA standards to get their numbers..then again its not very hard to get better numbers then the avg that EPA gives out to cars (IE I can get 22MPG out of my Mustang if I baby it all the time going to and from work, but If I wind it out every gear it goes down to 19.7)

The EPA has stated publicly that they underestimate the mileage on a diesel. I have posted the link on several occasions.

These numbers are not surprising. Wait until the car magazines get production models and compare there mpg v EPA numbers.

On the highway at the speed limit, the Jetta TDI should do close to 50 mpg.

The EPA has stated publicly that they underestimate the mileage on a diesel. I have posted the link on several occasions.

These numbers are not surprising. Wait until the car magazines get production models and compare there mpg v EPA numbers.

On the highway at the speed limit, the Jetta TDI should do close to 50 mpg.

I never realized that. I for one love the idea of the vehicle. It is obviously off to a tremondous start even without advertising or the unofficial mileage ratings.

And yes I realize that diesel is more money-right NOW. Does not mean that it will not shift the other way.

The EPA has stated publicly that they underestimate the mileage on a diesel.

No they haven't. Your link says nothing of the sort. Your link says that a statistically useless assortment of self-reports (not controlled for driving habits, driving patterns, accurate estimates of consumption, etc.) have gotten better gas mileage than the EPA estimates.

Edited by RichardJensen

The Focus acutally suffers from the same problem as the Jetta TDI. Everyone is getting far better than their EPA figure would suggest. But, no, the EPA doesn't say the under report for diesels. I also guarantee that one-off tests of the Jetta will yield fairly average results unless their goal is to test the mileage they can get. Car mags often push cars fairly hard during tests. In a long term test though, maybe.

Could some of the mileage disparity have to do with burn off of particulate matter?

Guestimate...how much would an EB 1.0L pump out ?

With a wild stab in the dark, going conservative and using these numbers:

2.0L EB - 280hp - 140hp/L

3.5L EB - 340hp - ~100hp/L

...a 1.0L EB 4cyl should produce roughly 100-140hp. That's plenty for an entry-level more special "high-mileage" Focus.

Scott

I would suggest that for mass market cars (not performance versions or special editions) that turboed direct injected gasoline/flexfuel engines be estimated at 100 to 120 hp per liter. This is taking into consideration that for the mass market the tuning will be biased to improve fuel economy.

The article also mentioned the Focus will be recieving a 6-speed tranny for next year, I wonder how much of an effect that will have on the Focus' mileage (in a good way obviously)?

Nice, but I want the Dual Clutch coming in 2011.

Well, in the explorer, the 6AT was reported by ford as giving them about 1mpg or so. Using the ratios for the Explorer V8 from its old 4.6L 2V to the 4.6L 3V minus that 1mpg to control for the engine changeover, that would result in approximately 2 mpg or so for the focus resulting in an epa rating of ~26/35 for the auto (comparing to 24/35 for the stick). I feel that the numbers don't work so well for the city number, so, maybe 25 city would be more likely. Its very likely that the 6AT will match or better the standard transmission numbers for the highway. (the 4AT already matches the city numbers)

This also works if you use the Escape as the basis for the change, however, there's a lot going on there and the emphasis is different from the explorer. Regardless, I feel that +1 city and +2 hwy is more than reasonable. Not to mention that it will provide even better acceleration than before.

Well, in the explorer, the 6AT was reported by ford as giving them about 1mpg or so. Using the ratios for the Explorer V8 from its old 4.6L 2V to the 4.6L 3V minus that 1mpg to control for the engine changeover, that would result in approximately 2 mpg or so for the focus resulting in an epa rating of ~26/35 for the auto (comparing to 24/35 for the stick). I feel that the numbers don't work so well for the city number, so, maybe 25 city would be more likely. Its very likely that the 6AT will match or better the standard transmission numbers for the highway. (the 4AT already matches the city numbers)

This also works if you use the Escape as the basis for the change, however, there's a lot going on there and the emphasis is different from the explorer. Regardless, I feel that +1 city and +2 hwy is more than reasonable. Not to mention that it will provide even better acceleration than before.

With a large engine a 4 speed can be geared for either fuel efficiency, or acceleration. A 6 speed can be geared for both.

With a small engine, you don't have the power to gear for either efficiency for acceleration with the 4 speed. You need a 6 speed makes it easier to try to get both.

The 1.0l is an INLINE THREE CYLNDER, FLEX FUEL engine. it is to make 100hp and replace .15-1.6l engines.

It has been rumored since a while back - I wrote about it about a year ago.

Igor

sounds like a MARVELOUS recipe for vibration...........

Meanwhile...

refreshing diesel was NOT routinely brought up YET again by Milf, now someone else is derailing.....

sounds like a MARVELOUS recipe for vibration...........

Such small engines tend not to vibrate much since the parts are smaller, lighter and don't move as far. This is especially the case when put into a larger, heavier vehicle. Of course a 3 cylinder would be different from a 4 cylinder.

Such small engines tend not to vibrate much since the parts are smaller, lighter and don't move as far. This is especially the case when put into a larger, heavier vehicle. Of course a 3 cylinder would be different from a 4 cylinder.

odds on a balance shaft for sure...which ADDS more weight....potentially cancelling any advantage a 3 cyl has over a 4cyl....