How long does it take to retool a plant?

MTPwife

So how much down time do you think we're looking at if MTP does get the Kuga & CMax? Our local news is saying that MTP will be getting these 2 Euro models. For that matter, how long in general to retool a plant?

Could take several months to make tooling, if it has already been designed, or longer and several months to install. It will be a long layoff. Very complex job.

Could take several months to make tooling, if it has already been designed, or longer and several months to install. It will be a long layoff. Very complex job.

I wonder where the equipment OEMs will get the people to make the equipment fast. China? I know most of the American suppliers have cut way back on people.

Toyota, GM and Ford will have massive retooling campaigns all at the same time, hmmmm maybe ABB shares are a good buy.....

Look for a year at least.

Minimum, especially when going from a large body on frame to a small unibody.

What a lot of folks aren't saying is how long will it take to make all of those EU model meet US crash and emissions, especially with less US engineers who understand these standards and what modifications are needed to meet them.

In the case of MTP, I would bet they could get production running at the new plant within a year, but it would take 12 to 24 additional months to change over completed.

Then when they finally get the retooling done, the price of gas comes down to what it use to be and everybody wants big SUV's and trucks again. Has this ever happened before? Like back in the 70's?

OPEC loves what the price of oil is nowadays. They will do everything possible to keep it high.

OPEC loves what the price of oil is nowadays. They will do everything possible to keep it high.
Not just OPEC. Even the non OPEC members love the current price of oil. A lot of the non OPEC members, Mexico and Russia included, have actually seen their output of oil drop in the last eight years, but with the price of oil being so high, their income is substantially higher. Oil was $23 a barrel in 2001, and today it's five times that much. So you see, even if they export less, they still get to make more. A lot more. So not just OPEC will help keep the price high.

So how much down time do you think we're looking at if MTP does get the Kuga & CMax? Our local news is saying that MTP will be getting these 2 Euro models. For that matter, how long in general to retool a plant?

From the ground floor up I would say 2-3 years.I do not know if the tooling is going to be moved or needs to be built or what is involved when they say 'retooled'.Hopefully the 'blueprints' are already drawn if not 2-3 years.

From the ground floor up I would say 2-3 years.I do not know if the tooling is going to be moved or needs to be built or what is involved when they say 'retooled'.Hopefully the 'blueprints' are already drawn if not 2-3 years.

I hear you will be building the focus just like next door. I also heard that the time line for production is more like April of next year.

I will just be happy to get a product and have my husband keep his job so he can retire...whatever it takes is what we all have to do ...keep a positive outlook

Hopefully they fully utilize the abundance of tradespersons out there and it will be more like 6-8 months. Good luck!!

Look at how long it took our trades to remodel medical over a year.! I'm sure it will be contracted out.

Slide 41 states that dec 2008 is when MTP shuts down and goes to C platform in 2010. Looks like 18 months it might take to fully change the plant. Now I could be wrong but this is what they put on the slides.

whas 11 news in louisville reported today that LAP could be down 6-9 months for retooling for thier new vehicle. i guess it could vary depending on what needs done

whas 11 news in louisville reported today that LAP could be down 6-9 months for retooling for thier new vehicle. i guess it could vary depending on what needs done

This sounds very short especially if they are going to full flexible manufacturing like they have done at almost every other site.

Hopefully they fully utilize the abundance of tradespersons out there and it will be more like 6-8 months. Good luck!!

Word. The real trick is navigating the Ford Purchasing Bureaucracy, case in point medical departments in Ford Facilities....Jorge

When we consolidated production of the Econoline it took a little over 4 months. The Escape/Mariner system went down on 8/12 and the first Econoline rolled off the line on 1/3. That was a compete tear out of the full production for the Escape and the installation of all the final chassis area from Lorain. The best way to make a guesstimate is how much is Ford willing to spend to get it done. This is one case where money will really setermine the rate of work.