EARLY SALES STRONG FOR NEW 2009 LINCOLN MKS

range

Nice to see the good news.Our dealership has already delivered five of them and at least three other inbound units are already sold. My only problem with the vehicle is that I REALLY want one, and the MKZ still has 14 months to go. Oh well, all good things come to those who wait. Seriously though,I think the car is absolutely awesome, and the price point puts it way ahead of its competitors. It should be a slam dunk for Lincoln.

Wow... you mean to say when dealers are trained properly on the vehicle, and there is effective marketing, sales will be strong? Shocking.

The only criticism I've really heard on the MKS is that since it's based on the Taurus, it isn't a credible luxury car, and that it isn't fast enough.

I suppose because the Taurus is based on a Volvo, it's not a credible family sedan...

That complaint is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I read one of the reviews............... and the reviewer loved the car. Loved the way it looked, loved the way it drove, loved the features and the interior, and loved the value. Then they turn around and say it isn't truly a luxury car, because it is based on the Taurus.

Huh??

I like this car; I'm still waiting to see one on the street...

But is it really fair to compare it to the RL, M35, and STS since all three of those are nearing (or needing) upgrades or restyles?

Lets hope the sales keep building.

All three just got updated and restyled this year, and all three are on the streets.

That complaint is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I read one of the reviews............... and the reviewer loved the car. Loved the way it looked, loved the way it drove, loved the features and the interior, and loved the value. Then they turn around and say it isn't truly a luxury car, because it is based on the Taurus.

Huh??

Agreed. When I worked (for a very, very short time)at a Toyota dealer, we had a Lexus dealer right next door. From a distance it's hard to tell the difference between a Camry and a Lexus ES. Same underpinnings, by the way. Same goes for Infiniti/Nissan and Acura/Honda. Platform sharing is nothing new,its the way cars are built nowadays. I would find it ridiculous if anyone could not tell the diffence between a Taurus and an MKS.

As for the "not fast enough" crowd, what short memories we all have of the super fast Chrysler 300, which they can't give away now. Luxury car buyers, the true ones not the BMW type wannabees, are less interested in speed than you may think. Listen folks, we don't have the Autobahn here so why the hell do we need to go 150 miles an hour????? Sit back, enjoy the ride, and fill up on regular gas in the MKS.

I attended one of those preview events at the dealerships and I'm certain this is a key reason for the MKS success so far. All of the people in attendance were potential costumers, they targeted the loyalty consumer very well.

I'm not sure I will be stepping in with an MKS just yet, I love the car but I'm not sure the car has the right image for me. It is very much a traditional Lincoln and it scares me a little, I keep thinking of the Continental and Town Car, I don't want that type of car.

I attended one of those preview events at the dealerships and I'm certain this is a key reason for the MKS success so far. All of the people in attendance were potential costumers, they targeted the loyalty consumer very well.

I'm not sure I will be stepping in with an MKS just yet, I love the car but I'm not sure the car has the right image for me. It is very much a traditional Lincoln and it scares me a little, I keep thinking of the Continental and Town Car, I don't want that type of car.

Just wait for the MKZ... I think it will combine the excellent looks and feel of the MKS with a smaller and sportier vehicle.

That early buzz resulted in close to 10,000 pre-orders for the MKS, says Hsu, many of them from conquest customers.

"The Lexus ES-350 is among the top 10 vehicles being traded in for the MKS," she said.

I'm thinking the MKS would do well on the international market,

you may even get 200-300/month out of Australia alone.

Edited by jpd80

Nice to see the good news.Our dealership has already delivered five of them and at least three other inbound units are already sold. My only problem with the vehicle is that I REALLY want one, and the MKZ still has 14 months to go. Oh well, all good things come to those who wait. Seriously though,I think the car is absolutely awesome, and the price point puts it way ahead of its competitors. It should be a slam dunk for Lincoln.

Probably a good thing, in 14 months the EcoBoost version will already be on lots.

Welcome to the luxury market, friend.

I'm almost 30 years old, buying Lincolns is aberrant behavior for someone my age;). I'm not ruling out the MKS, but it's a lot of car that doesn't look particularly fun to toss around. I'm in love with the MKX, it's the perfect car for me at this time. I will probably stay loyal to that product, fits my needs and lifestyle perfectly.

The MKZ needs to improve a lot before I buy another, not happy with it.

I'm pretty sure you're the first person to imply that the MKX was fun to toss around.

Wrong! Go drive one! It's not a sports car mind you, but a sports car can't hanlde rough roads either and there are plenty of those in Michigan.

It's a shame we are not seeing the same run on the Flex.

Edited by BORG

I'm almost 30 years old, buying Lincolns is aberrant behavior for someone my age;). I'm not ruling out the MKS, but it's a lot of car that doesn't look particularly fun to toss around. I'm in love with the MKX, it's the perfect car for me at this time. I will probably stay loyal to that product, fits my needs and lifestyle perfectly.

The MKZ needs to improve a lot before I buy another, not happy with it.

Im 17 and I would love to have a MKS.

Wrong! Go drive one! It's not a sports car mind you, but a sports car can't hanlde rough roads either and there are plenty of those in Michigan.

I've drove a Edge and a MKX around the block (Edge was a lender for the Parents Explorer at the time and the MKX was a friends) and both handled pretty nicely for what they where had good get up and go. I wouldn't mind either one for myself...though both of them could use improved interiors design wise and in the Edge could use better materials

All three just got updated and restyled this year, and all three are on the streets.

I was mistaken, nonetheless, the 2009 RL (I thought it was a '10) is a monstrosity of automotive styling. The STS has received the new DI 3.6 and a minor facelift (fender vents...), I am not sure how the M35 has been updated but it may well have been.

My point is that there are many months to go, and while it is great that the MKS is selling so well versus these established names, in a few months it might not hold up as a luxury car next to BMW/MB/Infinity...

Don't get me wrong, I love this car (as I said before) and I hope it succeeds for the sake of Ford (and my money). It has all the credentials except for RWD or a rear biased full time AWD system (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I say good thing, just don't get too excited yet.