no 3.0 in ranger 2009 model

Deanh

specing out some Ford Rangers for a municipality and my eyebrows shot to the ceiling...only two option as far as engines go...the 2.3 and the guzzler 4.0...do not understand the logic here....all municipalities are thinking green and FFV ( ie 3.0 ) is the only alternative to full hybrid drivetrain which we know only comes in the Escape....is this a Ranger death knoll?..........strange logic here.

As the 3.0 l Vulcan is no longer in production, it does not surprise me that there is no 3.0 l engine in the Ranger. Just think of the current Ranger as a placeholder until a replacement is ready. The 2.3 l four is suitable for most uses a Ranger will see anyway.

As the 3.0 l Vulcan is no longer in production, it does not surprise me that there is no 3.0 l engine in the Ranger. Just think of the current Ranger as a placeholder until a replacement is ready. The 2.3 l four is suitable for most uses a Ranger will see anyway.

may hurt sales quite a bit...........

It would have being nice to see a D25 and PIP D30 to replace the entire powertrain line. However, it's most likely because there isin't enough of the new ones to put in the Ranger and they need to get rid of all the old ones so production will eventually stop.

The Vulcan had a good reputation and it's sad to see it go but it's archaic these days.

Just be lazy and stick the diesel engine in US ranger that the rest of the world has already been using for donkey years and watch its fuel efficiency become record breaking "Unsurpassed in Fuel Economy" without having to do or design next to nothing.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRG!...will everyone for christs sake stop the damn diesel ramblings...morons like Chucky2 and Mhlm to nma e but two, are lurking dammit! I lost enough grey cells yesterday with that idiot.

Just be lazy and stick the diesel engine in US ranger that the rest of the world has already been using for donkey years and watch its fuel efficiency become record breaking "Unsurpassed in Fuel Economy" without having to do or design next to nothing.

And then have a vehicle that cannot be sold in the US due to non-compliance. Must make sense to someone!

Could be that the 2.5 was design and tested for only FWD applications so far?

Could be that at 60-70k sales/year, the Ranger does not warrant much investment unless there is significant upside?

I can think of any number of reasons of why Ford would drop the 3.0 and not upgrade the 2.3 or 4.0.

Why sure, Jelly, just push the automatic "US EMissions Regs" compliance button — "poof"! Instant fix. Stupid Ford, why didn't they just do that months ago? Like, duh.

Edited by Edstock

Could be that at 60-70k sales/year, the Ranger does not warrant much investment unless there is significant upside?

I can think of any number of reasons of why Ford would drop the 3.0 and not upgrade the 2.3 or 4.0.

you may be correct...and judging by hands on the 2.5 is a VAST improvemnet over the Escapes 2.3...sweet little 4 cyl....

I agree, the 2.5L should have been in the lineup, not sure why it isn't. Maybe there is a surplus of 2.3 engine parts that they need to get rid of :-P

You brought up a excellent question. How many years of parts are there usually? How many surplus engines/parts etc. are made after production ceases? I mean if a new car has a 3 yr warrenty on the powertrain, you don't stop making the part on the last year of the vehicle in case of a rare but real failure which would require a replacement. I understand modification and upgrades (D20 to D23 to D25) may use common parts.

Seems short-sighted but not unreasonable. Seriously, in a bureaucratic headspace, do all the project managers talk to each other regarding possible sharing? Before we blame bean-counters (this is not a blame game BTW), I just had a one cubicle over experience and it blows my mind how when communication breaks down, a bloody storm ensues for no reason.

My point is it's not far-fetched that when the D25 came online, perhaps no one considered Ranger because people were looking at F100 or something else. A looking at trees not the forest cliche.

the guzzler 4.0L?

I forgot that the 3.0 sipped on fuel..

definitely superior to the 4.0...and for what it is worth i got the same mileage out of 2 Ford pickups I owned...both 4x4's....only one was a 5.4, and the other was a 4.0....to say i was dissapointed may give a small hint at which of the two was bought after the other......

The other thing too is that it looks like the 10 Mustang will still have the 4L V6 in it....I could have swore they quit making the 4L this past Spring...

hope not...time for the 4.0 to be put to pasture....runs forever just a little dated compared to the competition....one can "probably" get away with the lump in the ranger...Mustang 2010 won't cut it.....that car NEEDS smooth