no 3.0 in ranger 2009 model

Deanh

The other thing too is that it looks like the 10 Mustang will still have the 4L V6 in it....I could have swore they quit making the 4L this past Spring...

As I stated in another thread, carryover powerplants for the '10 Mustang. After I stated that fact, I had several people jumping on it like they knew otherwise. We shall see...

seriously....the 3.0 Duratec would make Ranger an awesome lil truck....maybe in the redesign...... :shrug:

I suppose if it were retuned for truck duty, but the applications in the Fusion/Escape (IMO) would not be that great of an idea.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the auto 4.0 and 3.0 had the same fuel economy rating

Why sure, Jelly, just push the automatic "US EMissions Regs" compliance button — "poof"! Instant fix. Stupid Ford, why didn't they just do that months ago? Like, duh.

FORD NO CAN DO

Mahindra & Mahindra, "plans to introduce a diesel-hybrid pickup truck for sale in the U.S. by 2010,"

Mahindra and Mahindra is taking advantage of two things: India's low-cost labor, and it's ever-increasing supply of brilliant engineers. In fact, "the Senior VP of Product Development at Mahindra is Dr. Arun Jaura, former head of vehicle engineering for Ford's Escape Hybrid platform." So not only will this truck potentially eat into the sales of American trucks, the company has also "taken back" some of the Big Three's best engineers to do so. The result is an extremely efficient, clean, diesel pickup that will sell in the $25,00-$30,000 range.

A non-hybrid version of the truck will be available in '09, with an expected fuel economy of 30-35 miles per gallon, and the hybrid model (with an estimated cost premium of $5,000) will be unveiled in 2010, with an impressive fuel economy of 40+ MPG. So while GM and others continue to complain that they can't meet the new CAFE standards, foreign competition is going to show them how it's done, and they will do it for less money, too.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/dieselhybrid_pi.php

Another market Ford will give up on, police cars, taxi, fleet/rentals and sports cars in Europe will pick-ups be the next market to FORD NO CAN DO

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Mahindra & Mahindra, "plans to introduce a diesel-hybrid pickup truck for sale in the U.S. by 2010,"

Great! If there's a successful market, there's no reason that Ford couldn't set up a diesel plant in India with Ford of India. Ship the engines to Thailand or South Africa for the truck plant. Then again, they could do a diesel plant in South Africa, too. The battery/electrical part of the hybrid should be no significant challenge.

So, let's see how Mahindra does. :)

specing out some Ford Rangers for a municipality and my eyebrows shot to the ceiling...only two option as far as engines go...the 2.3 and the guzzler 4.0...do not understand the logic here....all municipalities are thinking green and FFV ( ie 3.0 ) is the only alternative to full hybrid drivetrain which we know only comes in the Escape....is this a Ranger death knoll?..........strange logic here.

Perhaps left coast dealers have different order guides; in the great midwest, we have not been able to order a flex-fuel (E85) 3.0L (option code 99V) since the 2003 model year in the Ranger. The standard 3.0L (option code 99U) is not flex-fuel capable. The following confirms my understanding of Ford's flex-fuel offerings: http://www.e85fuel.com/information/ford_ffvs2009.pdf

Again, CA dealers may have had the option to order the 99V 3.0L for a longer period of time. I am surrounded by ethanol plants and get drilled about this daily.

I fail to see the discontinuation of the Vulcan-equipped Ranger as a loss.

The 4.0L has provided similar if not identical fuel economy numbers while providing more power. I don't order them, obviously, like you Dean, so maybe there was a lot of demand for them, but the 4.0L is a step up in the Ranger, in my estimation.

Of course, that said, it'd be nice if the Cologne V6 was dropped altogether and replaced by a Duratec derivative. We'll see when that happens...

Scott

easy-button.jpg

FORD NO CAN DO SMALL DIESEL PICK-UPS ITS TO HARD FOR THE DAFT BASTARDS

In the 1960's this was easy, come 2015 when peak oil starts to roller coaster downwards and gasoline hit $10 a gallon like we have in Europe it will be just amazing to see how legislation will change and diesels will become a WE CAN DO, gotta say l have just watched what $4 a gallon gasoline can do to Pick-up truck and SUV sales Stateside, so no doubt you wont have much of a problem doing diesel cars or pick-ups when fuel hit $10. Gotta say l will laugh at you hypocrits in US when gasoline hits $10 and you rush in diesel approving WE CAN DO legislation, still it will be nice to see the huge US trade balance in oil with the Arabs drop by a third when you embrace a more fuel effiecient fuel. The rest of the world will be enjoying cheap new bio diesel fuels with much more fuel efficient cars whilst you spend all your money on gasoline which will wreck the US economy like its doing at the moment.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/08/so...els-3-years.php

CAN DO - THE EASY STUFF

Apollo11_Launch.jpg

come 2015 when peak oil starts to roller coaster downwards and gasoline hit $10 a gallon

Not going to happen, because bio alternatives can be sold profitably at $5 a gallon. As well, the Canadian tar sands reserves are still not fully explored, but should last for another 40-50 years, maybe longer. Then there's the arctic, where the US, Canada, Russia and Denmark are setting out claims for the giant reserves "north of 60°". :)

Not going to happen, because bio alternatives can be sold profitably at $5 a gallon. As well, the Canadian tar sands reserves are still not fully explored, but should last for another 40-50 years, maybe longer. Then there's the arctic, where the US, Canada, Russia and Denmark are setting out claims for the giant reserves "north of 60°". :)

Don't look like you have a lot of Natural Gas left soon in Canada to process the tar sands in the future Ed, even if you did you would need a engine that will burn the shit that is 30% more efficient to make it pay?

Meantime the rest of the world be using much cheaper bio diesel US will be paying a fortune for gasoline from the Arabs as they NO CAN DO diesel.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/08/so...els-3-years.php

Still you might be right Ed with Microsoft doing gasoline/algae US might become self sufficient gotta say l hope it all works out for Bill Gates and the US dumps Arab oil.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/bi...hire-energy.php

It's a shame the US is one of the few places in the world that NO CAN DO diesel cars as the Toyota's and Honda's of this world would be shitting bricks because if GM and Ford were ever permitted to use super fuel efficent/much better reliabilty European diesel cars they would kick the Jap gas guzzling gasoline car sales out of the game in the US, the Japs don't get much of a look in Europe and what little sales they do have here are sinking faster than any other car maker at the moment.

You can keep the 3.0L. It's time was long past due.

What always confused my about the newer Rangers was that you couldn't get a decently optioned Ranger with the 2.3 4V 4-banger. Once you added options you were forced to take on the 3.0L, which IMO was a boat anchor that got horrible mileage.

My '01 S'Crew with the 4.6 gets near the real world mileage a 3.0L Ranger auto does.

FORD NO CAN DO

yeah, IF M&M can make the truck to US crash specs, include all legislated safety gear AND make the diesel 50 state compliant and still bring it in at this deeply discounted price, by '10, I'll be impressed.

• 4 weeks later...