Visiting Michigan this week

Off to Michigan tomorrow morning for a week. Got some business meetings and new product testing to do in Plymouth and I am staying a day and a half to do some other stuff out there. Well, planning to see the Henry Ford Museum, maybe do the Rouge plant tour, and anything else out there? Maybe take a stroll down 8 Mile lol. Hey, i live like 6 miles from Comptom and my dad was born in Watts. Im not scared of bad neighborhoods.

Anything else to do out there i should take note of? Im there from Mon- Sunday basically. some nights might be free, im planning on doing the touristy things on Saturday and just open to what else is going on out there.

Yeah this might be the wrong place for this topic, but hey, im interested in any other Ford things of interest out there, and i might be heading to the Auborn Hills museum as well for the Mopar fun.

Edited by Sixt9coug

Off to Michigan tomorrow morning for a week. Got some business meetings and new product testing to do in Plymouth and I am staying a day and a half to do some other stuff out there. Well, planning to see the Henry Ford Museum, maybe do the Rouge plant tour, and anything else out there? Maybe take a stroll down 8 Mile lol. Hey, i live like 6 miles from Comptom and my dad was born in Watts. Im not scared of bad neighborhoods.

Anything else to do out there i should take note of? Im there from Mon- Sunday basically. some nights might be free, im planning on doing the touristy things on Saturday and just open to what else is going on out there.

Yeah this might be the wrong place for this topic, but hey, im interested in any other Ford things of interest out there, and i might be heading to the Auborn Hills museum as well for the Mopar fun.

Being from Florida, I don't know Michigan very well, but I have been there once, and went on the Rouge plant tour and to the Henry Ford Museum while there. I really enjoyed the tour and the museum, and would recommend both. I was up there for NAIAS, but obviously that's not going on right now.

cool. had both of those on the list of things to do.

Ill be in Orlando for a big meeting in Feb though. Whats there besides Disney? I work in Anaheim so all the out of towners seem to come HERE for Disney. I guess its just not that big a deal for me lol

I was actually in that area this past weekend at a friend's lakehouse. Theme park-wise, there's Universal Studios and/or Islands of Adventure, which are more "adult friendly" (the rides -from what I remember of Disney- are more exciting), although it's been a long time since I've been to Disney, so it may be different now. Disney doesn have the many different parks you can go to, though. There's several water parks there as well. Other than theme parks, I can't really think of what you would do there. Maybe ANTAUS could give you some ideas, as I think he's from there (or lives there at least)....I'm from South Florida, so really, like I said, outside of the theme parks, I don't know much.

If you're ever down in this area, I'll be glad to try to point you to some attractions.

I was actually in that area this past weekend at a friend's lakehouse. Theme park-wise, there's Universal Studios and/or Islands of Adventure, which are more "adult friendly" (the rides -from what I remember of Disney- are more exciting), although it's been a long time since I've been to Disney, so it may be different now. Disney doesn have the many different parks you can go to, though. There's several water parks there as well. Other than theme parks, I can't really think of what you would do there. Maybe ANTAUS could give you some ideas, as I think he's from there (or lives there at least)....I'm from South Florida, so really, like I said, outside of the theme parks, I don't know much.

If you're ever down in this area, I'll be glad to try to point you to some attractions.

lol if he comes down to miami he can go to south beach....i was there yesterday, boy was that a cultural experience

but in orlando they have some "club" type stuff in and around disney and universal, there is also halloween horror nights but he will miss that

besides that....not much just a lot of theme parks

lol if he comes down to miami he can go to south beach....i was there yesterday, boy was that a cultural experience

but in orlando they have some "club" type stuff in and around disney and universal, there is also halloween horror nights but he will miss that

besides that....not much just a lot of theme parks

Yeah, there's actually quite a bit one could do in Miami or even Fort Lauderdale.

Halloween Horror Nights is fun, I've been 2 times in the past.

As a resident (although I'm out here in the 'burbs), I should know more than I do. Downtown Detroit has Greektown which is always my favorite place to go during Auto Show season. I love the Greek restaurants, bakeries, and general shopping/sight-seeing down there. Come out to Auburn Hills and you can visit the Walter P. Chrysler Museum near Chrysler Headquarters on Featherstone Rd (an impressive facility for such an unimpressive automaker). While you're up here, you can also visit Downtown Rochester and eat at the Rochester Chop House or Rochester Brewery (great places!). Head out to Troy for the Somerset Collection, my favorite place around here to shop and Eat.

heres a few things that you might want to check off your list

the heidelberg project, basically a city block with recycled art covering most of the houses

hamtramck at on time the most bars per capita in the city, and polich food! a very walkable city witha very diverse populace

the detroit historical museum is pretty cool and its only a block away from the

detroit institute of arts that has a mural by diego riveria of the rouge plant

belle isle is nice and laid out by the same guy that did central park, but it has fallen a bit from its glory days

i could go on longer if you so desire but i would definelty suggest the detroit instituie of arts unless you busy during their hours at wwhich point holbrook and connant would be a great starting place to wander in hamramck

The Automotive Hall of fame is across the street from The Henry Ford. Also note that the proving grounds are right next door to the henry ford as well.

Actually, its in the same parking lot! I've been there (I live less than 2 miles away), and personally, I wasn't impressed. Dearborn is a neat place - pretty much everything is named after Ford is some way, and all the street signs say "Home Town of Henry Ford" on them, as do the manhole covers and everything the city owns.

Actually, its in the same parking lot! I've been there (I live less than 2 miles away), and personally, I wasn't impressed. Dearborn is a neat place - pretty much everything is named after Ford is some way, and all the street signs say "Home Town of Henry Ford" on them, as do the manhole covers and everything the city owns.

Wow. I could of sworn it was across Village Rd. I have not been down there in a while though.

cool. had both of those on the list of things to do.

Ill be in Orlando for a big meeting in Feb though. Whats there besides Disney? I work in Anaheim so all the out of towners seem to come HERE for Disney. I guess its just not that big a deal for me lol

I'd really recommend the Trainer for a Day at Discovery Cove. Expensive, but a lot a fun. A once in a lifetime experience.

p_dcpackages_group5.jpg

sweet. lots of good ideas. i just arrived about 2 hours ago at my hotel. Im staying in Farmington Hills, and i am already blown away by the lack of import cars in this town. Every vehicle is ford, ford, ford, chevy, chevy, ford, dodge, dodge, chevy, bmw... etc etc. Hell, i only saw 1 Accord on my 25 mile trip to here from the airport. Weird for this SoCal boy.

I also noticed any truck more than 15 years old is a rusty POS and there just arent many vehicles older than that on the road in general.

Already saw 1 Flex and a 2009 F150 on the way here. If it wasnt for the snow, the local economy and rust id love it enough to move.

If you go to the Dearborn or Detroit historical museum they have a lot of old photos and papers. The Detroit Public library has a great automotive section.

Detroit really is a great city but you have to know where your at, it can get scary really fast, just like L.A. The symbolism that 8 mile represented has migrated north to about 696 at this point.

If your in Detroit and want something non auto related you could head over to greektown, Pegasus is a great place to eat and be sure to get some Saganaki, Eastern Market is something to be seen on a Saturday.

I don't know your age but if your staying in Farmington Hills I would say head over to Royal Oak one night -- lots of cool bars, restaurants and night life and it is pretty close -- maybe 10min.

If you like history of Ford and the Model T, check out the old Highland Park plant on Woodward near 6 mile rd., the earlier Model T plant in Milwaukee Junction area of Detroit on Piquette Street. I believe its open for viewing on Saturday. Worth seeing. Also take nice cruise down Hines Park Drive that goes from Dearborn to Northville. First check out the Henry Ford Estate off of Rouge River near U of M Dearborn as they have visiting hours. The Rouge River meanders along side Hines Drive which is park for about 20 miles and check out the old Phoenix Factory in Northville that used women labor to build Model T parts. It's now used by Wayne County Road Commission. Then check out Northville and right downtown is another famous Model T factory that ran using flow of Rouge River and water wheel still operates. In fact, Hines Park is an historic park and when on road you feel like you are back in the 20's and 30's with the old bridges and rec stations along route. And don't forget to look for camo Ford test mules while driving Hines Drive as they are out there about everyday using Hines Drive.

Spend some time driving the blocks around the Henry Ford Museum. Never know what you might see, and you'll know where about half the Ford spy photos come from. Ground Zero for Prototypes entering and leaving the secure area is right down the street from an old Hotel (the Dearborn Inn, I think). Also head out to Livonia (10 minute drive) Ford's transmission development center is out there and so is another lot full of mules. The best legitimate attraction that no one has mentioned here yet is the Benson Ford research center on the Henry Ford Museum grounds. They have every car related publication you can think of and its all free.

If you go for the Rouge tour, when leaving the Henry Ford on the bus, sit so you can see out the right side. You can see a chunk of the proving grounds at times from your seat. When I was there two years ago, somebody had a Ford GT out on the outer loop. That sucker was quick!

sweet. lots of good ideas. i just arrived about 2 hours ago at my hotel. Im staying in Farmington Hills, and i am already blown away by the lack of import cars in this town. Every vehicle is ford, ford, ford, chevy, chevy, ford, dodge, dodge, chevy, bmw... etc etc. Hell, i only saw 1 Accord on my 25 mile trip to here from the airport. Weird for this SoCal boy.

I also noticed any truck more than 15 years old is a rusty POS and there just arent many vehicles older than that on the road in general.

Already saw 1 Flex and a 2009 F150 on the way here. If it wasnt for the snow, the local economy and rust id love it enough to move.

Its really good on Outer Drive at 4:45 when I'm coming home from school. Everybody from Ford is going the opposite way and I wouldn't hesitate to say 95% of the cars on the road in Dearborn at 4:45pm are American, and about 70% Ford. Its funny, considering when I'm was in DC, its was the opposite.

And the snow isn't bad, just throw some sandbags into the bed and you're set! (we don't really get enough for AWD to be needed, really)

Long time reader, first time poster.

I just visited the Dearborn area after a while away (I live in Florida on the beach now -- only return to visit, not to stay).

Things to do in D'born and surrounding area: (a) Michigan Ave. and Outer Drive - Eat at La Pita, get the lamb kabobs. (B) Grab a beer at Miller's, on Michigan Ave. just north of Telegraph. It's "on your honor" and the burgers rule. c ) Check out Bailey's on Michigan Ave. north of Outer Dr. to check out the local talent. (d) The Henry Ford is cool, the Rouge is neat. I worked at the ROB for a few years, and enjoyed heading over to DTP on lunch to see the assembly line. The whole bit with the frame being matched to the powertrain is pretty cool, even after you seen a few times. (e) Go to Ann Arbor while you are in town and see where the LL5s live. Lots to do downtown, and you'll still see a bunch of Fords, and Saabs. (f) Check out Depot Town in Ypsilanti. Go to Aubree's, get a Frog Island brew (once a Huron, always a Huron). (g) Have a Vernor's, a Faygo, and enjoy some Sander's hot fudge. (h) Listen to 107.1. (i) I think that St. John's in Plymouth has a good course if you golf. Enjoy.

Good luck! Hit me off list if you need more detail.