C&D reviews the Lincoln MKS AWD

White99GT

I never expected to read a positive writeup from Car and Driver about a FWD Lincoln, but I just did.

Shocker, shocker...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li...s_awd_road_test

A few highlights:

Consider the driver’s office. BMW and Benz, not to mention Honda and Acura designers—and Jaguar, too, now that we think of it—could learn much from a few hours in this Lincoln.

...In the category of ergonomics, the MKS earns maximum points.

And those of us with long memories love the lavish chrome cabin detailing, the jewelry, a reminder of The American Way half a century back when our glittering Detroiters were the envy of the world. It was never done then with the high level of quality evident here.

We see it as a “reach” car, holding the price of a well-equipped sample cleanly below 40 large but reaching for shoppers in the class above. How high can it reach? We’ve been measuring our sample against some tall yardsticks.

The textures and sheens of the dash top, windowsills, and door panels look Gucci rich. The Scottish leather of the seats has the essential drape and suppleness that lets it deform around your shape with no pressure spots...

...We scrutinized knobs and handles, particularly the interior door-release levers, for traces of mold-parting lines. Detroit has been failing this test for years, leaving sharp lines that your fingers feel and your mind interprets as Kmart quality. We found none. The MKS is tomorrow’s Lincoln, not yesterday’s.

The pilotes remain unmoved, but the moderately affluent Mr. and Mrs. Everybody else will find an intuitive sort of comfort and convenience here that they can enjoy without taking a college course on the owner’s manual. The MKS feels very much like the dawn of a new American way.

Looks like the "MKTaurus" might be better than some thought. :)

• Like 1

The MKS isn't really Lincoln's flagship though, if anything it is the spiritual sucessor to the Continental.

The flagship should be RWD, and not a Town Car. All IMO of course...

then what is or what will be the flagship?

the MKR?

i have not heard any news on the GRWD since i heard it was getting second thoughts....

Yeah, Lincoln's flagship should be a glorified taxi based on 20 year old tech! :P

The MKS IS most definitely Lincoln's flagship. It is a technological showcase for Ford NA. Everything starts with MKS and works its way down.

The MKZ has given me fits, I just had MORE warranty work done to replace the torque diff assy (the part that makes it AWD). The bearings went bad and were making noise. I've never had a car with such major mechanical issues, although it never had any other bugs which I'm accustomed to on most of my Lincolns (until my MKX which is perfection on four wheels).

I like my MKZ (now that the latest problems are fixed), especially after spending so much time in the MKX which is big and tipsy compared to the relatively agile and fun MKZ. It's a love-hate relationship, it's definitely not up to the standards I'm use to with my other Lincolns, but AWD and fuel economy better than 15MPG on regular without sacrificing sport is quite a novelty for me in a Lincoln :) I may not be done with the MKZ line yet, we'll see. I just hope they get more serious about the car, and the 2010 update does not look serious enough.

The MKS is still a very traditional Lincoln which turns me off in some regards, one of my least favorite Lincolns was my 1996 Continental which was a technological playground, but I had a major personality issue with the car after spending 2 years with it. I was very young, which was part of the problem. To tell you the truth, I like the exterior design of the MKX and MKZ better because they are smaller and cleaner reletive to the large and bulging MKS. The MKS is not a great design, but I still love the car. I do have to say that the front end is a beautiful piece of sculpture from the a-pillar forward. I took some great shots of my car in Tuxedo black with the right light and I just love the compound creases and folds.

Yeah, Lincoln's flagship should be a glorified taxi based on 20 year old tech! :P

The MKS IS most definitely Lincoln's flagship. It is a technological showcase for Ford NA. Everything starts with MKS and works its way down.

The MKZ has given me fits, I just had MORE warranty work done to replace the torque diff assy (the part that makes it AWD). The bearings went bad and were making noise. I've never had a car with such major mechanical issues, although it never had any other bugs which I'm accustomed to on most of my Lincolns (until my MKX which is perfection on four wheels).

I like my MKZ (now that the latest problems are fixed), especially after spending so much time in the MKX which is big and tipsy compared to the relatively agile and fun MKZ. It's a love-hate relationship, it's definitely not up to the standards I'm use to with my other Lincolns, but AWD and fuel economy better than 15MPG on regular without sacrificing sport is quite a novelty for me in a Lincoln :) I may not be done with the MKZ line yet, we'll see. I just hope they get more serious about the car, and the 2010 update does not look serious enough.

The MKS is still a very traditional Lincoln which turns me off in some regards, one of my least favorite Lincolns was my 1996 Continental which was a technological playground, but I had a major personality issue with the car after spending 2 years with it. I was very young, which was part of the problem. To tell you the truth, I like the exterior design of the MKX and MKZ better because they are smaller and cleaner reletive to the large and bulging MKS. The MKS is not a great design, but I still love the car. I do have to say that the front end is a beautiful piece of sculpture from the a-pillar forward. I took some great shots of my car in Tuxedo black with the right light and I just love the compound creases and folds.

Good god man.....get a room :hysterical:

This is all well and good - but I swear this review was posted by someone else a few weeks ago?

This is the second or third writeup C&D has done on the MKS. But this is the first real evaluation they have done on the car, the others were previews and short takes.

I think this review is only a few days old.

This is the second or third writeup C&D has done on the MKS. But this is the first real evaluation they have done on the car, the others were previews and short takes.

I think this review is only a few days old.

It was posted somewhere allready; I just can't remember where and by whome! I know because I remember someone not being too happy about the word pilotes being used over, and over again.

It was posted somewhere allready; I just can't remember where and by whome! I know because I remember someone not being too happy about the word pilotes being used over, and over again.

Hmm, I wonder who that was ? :shades: *shifty eyes* :P

Edited by SVT_MAN