2010 Camaro: RS $22,995 / SS $30,995

eddiehaskell

I've heard some discussion that these prices may be a brief "introductory" special and may go up from there. Also, what do you get for the "base" price - also discussed that they don't expect to really sell any quantity at the minimum price. I suppose I could look at GM site, but that is a lot of work.

the 09 G8 GT is more than the 08 and has almost nothing new(i got an 09 because of the color and i got it cheaper)

i would not be surprised to see it jump up

Edited by Ford-150

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$3500.

The Camaro has 122 more HP. If the engineers are correct, the SS will only be about 0.2 second slower to 60 mph than a GT500. The Camaro also includes a more sophisticated suspension setup, brembo brakes, 6 speed trans, etc.

ok, lets split the difference. the GT starts at $26,775 so its about a $4,220 difference.

As far as the performance, yeah the SS has more hp, but its gonna be heavier, we dont know by how much yet but 200-300lbs seems very very likely, and if the GTO is any indication, they arent known for being able to put the power to the ground with that IRS. Heres hoping they figured it out by now. It should be a better handler in the twisties though.

ok, lets split the difference. the GT starts at $26,775 so its about a $4,220 difference.

That doesn't include destination which is $800. So $3420 price difference. Yeah, the SS is heavier, but it also has an extra 122hp, IRS, better weight balance, 20" wheels, Brembo brakes and a stronger 6-speed trans. The SS is more comparable to the GT500 than than the GT. Luckily it's a lot cheaper.

I believe the Camaro will be much more than 200-300lbs more than a Mustang, I believe they are hitting over 4000lbs+, so yes the 300HP of the V6 will defiinitely be needed to compensate. If Ford corrected the throttle lag issue with the Mustang V6, and programmed the transmission to do a better job, it could easily match the Camaro v6. Of course, the penalty will be worse fuel economy, which the 4.0L has a hard case achieving.

I've grown tired of "hearing" about the Camaro because it's been overly played that it's reaching Camry like, boredom.

As usual, competition makes good cars, better. This will force Ford to slap on the 3.5L or 3.7L with at least 300HP, and possibly the 5.0L V8 to bring it up to a level playing field with the Camaro. I can only hope Ford will be at least able to match performance, but they are a bit too conservative when freshening up vehicles, so something tells me we'll be alooking at a 250HP 3.5L and we should be lucky...

Edited by ANTAUS

Sounds like a lot, but not surprising when you consider the Camaro is a new car with performance comparable to the GT500 (3900lbs). IRS also adds weight over a stick axle.

Yes, but aren't GM's pushrod much lighter than Ford's modular engines? I couldn't find how much the GT weighs, why the hell did Ford take that out of their site? Anyway, I think it was 3400 pounds, that's a 500 pound difference, it CAN'T be just the IRS.

The V6 Camaro is about 200lbs heavier than the GT with the same HP.

...oh, you forgot one little thing, the V6 Camaro will have a lot less torque. And by the way, you say that it will have the same HP as the GT (2010). I have a feeling the 2010 GT will get a bump in HP, even if it's a slight one, probably up to around 320hp/345tq.

Yes, but aren't GM's pushrod much lighter than Ford's modular engines? I couldn't find how much the GT weighs, why the hell did Ford take that out of their site? Anyway, I think it was 3400 pounds, that's a 500 pound difference, it CAN'T be just the IRS.

Fords Iron modulars are pigs (weight). IIRC they are somewhere around 600lbs for the SOHC versions, and the DOHC ones are around 575. I dont know what an aluminum 3v weighs, but figure around 550 or so which is about the same as a 351C which was all iron and not exactly svelte itself.

EDIT - An LS1 weighs about 460 lbs. Which is what an all iron 302 weighed back in the day.

Edited by Sixt9coug

It would be nice if Ford went back and un-sandbagged the 4.0L v6 for its last year on the market. At the release of the current Mustang many years ago, there was an article in one of the auto rags discussing the V6 mustang. They had one of the project engineers there for an interview and he revelaed that the 4.0L v6 has more performance on the table. They had deliberately detuned it a bit for efficiency and market placement reasons.

Looking at the stats on the 4.0L v6 and comparing them to stats that it has produced in the past, its obvious. Even the current Explorer manages 210 hp and 254 lbs of torque from it, whereas the Mustang only gets 240 lbs of torque and the same 210 hp. That extra 15 lbs of torque and a possible extra 5-10 horsepower combined with a more astute shifting program and better throttle response would definitely make the V6 mustang a notably better performer and better competition to the Base Camaro.

If you took your money saved on the purchase and purchased a Chip, a new exhaust and an air intake, you'd likely get as good as or better performance in a straight line than the Camaro. (estimates are that the combo should give about 250 horsepower and 285+ lbs of torque starting from the 210/255 number). With that torque advantage coupled to the couple hundred pound weight advantage that the Mustang will have over the base camaro, the Mustang should beat it to 60, and likely will hold its own through the quarter.

Sounds like a lot, but not surprising when you consider the Camaro is a new car with performance comparable to the GT500 (3900lbs). IRS also adds weight over a stick axle.

There is no way that a 3900lb, 422hp, IRS equipped Camaro, will be as fast as a 3900lb, 500hp, solid axle equipped Mustang.

No way, no how.

An IRS always eats more horsepower than a solid axle.

Also, if the GTO was any indication (haven't read much on G8's being raced), there will be axle hop issues, with the IRS. Even the Vette has this problem, and it is not unheard of, for a Vette to blow a rear with slicks.

Fords Iron modulars are pigs (weight). IIRC they are somewhere around 600lbs for the SOHC versions, and the DOHC ones are around 575. I dont know what an aluminum 3v weighs, but figure around 550 or so which is about the same as a 351C which was all iron and not exactly svelte itself.

EDIT - An LS1 weighs about 460 lbs. Which is what an all iron 302 weighed back in the day.

Exactly, that's another point against GM. Light engine, porky chassis.

Eddie,

You really are smoking some good shit. No way your are going to convince anyone that your SS is comparable to a GT500

but Eddie loves his Hot Wheels look-a- like...........gimme the 2010 Mustang please.....has something this Camaro lacks.....restrained elegance...seriously I HATE this Camaro, looks like a damn cartoon...now Challenger on the other hand.....

good lord!

go research that "pig" of a GT500 before you make ridiculous comments like that

the only point you can give to the Camaro SS over the GT500 is the ride comfort and it costs less....the GT500 will destroy it

im so extremely pissed at Ford for not having the 5.0L out next year so i don't have to see this Camaro worship bullshit!

IRS is over rated in RWD(its good but not godly)....i have it on my G8 GT and it will still get rough when taking a turn(which i don't mind because im not a old man)

that said the SS will still perform great....as i have a slightly heavier and less powerful G8 GT and it is great

but god damn it did GM totally fuck up the way it looks....honestly if i see someone over 30 driving that thing....

i hope they make a new GTO not based on the Camaro

There is no way that a 3900lb, 422hp, IRS equipped Camaro, will be as fast as a 3900lb, 500hp, solid axle equipped Mustang.

No way, no how.

An IRS always eats more horsepower than a solid axle.

Also, if the GTO was any indication (haven't read much on G8's being raced), there will be axle hop issues, with the IRS. Even the Vette has this problem, and it is not unheard of, for a Vette to blow a rear with slicks.

i have dragged my G8 GT but have not run into any wheel hop problems

although i am stock

good lord!

go research that "pig" of a GT500 before you make ridiculous comments like that

the only point you can give to the Camaro SS over the GT500 is the ride comfort and it costs less....the GT500 will destroy it

im so extremely pissed at Ford for not having the 5.0L out next year so i don't have to see this Camaro worship bullshit!

IRS is over rated in RWD(its good but not godly)....i have it on my G8 GT and it will still get rough when taking a turn(which i don't mind because im not a old man)

that said the SS will still perform great....as i have a slightly heavier and less powerful G8 GT and it is great

but god damn it did GM totally fuck up the way it looks....honestly if i see someone over 30 driving that thing....

i hope they make a new GTO not based on the Camaro

get ready for a 3.5 or 3.7 ecoboost SVO giant killer ( shhhhh, hopefully ......)

BOOM!

gto_new.jpg

g8-2.jpg

g8-1.jpg

call it the GTO, G7, G8 coupe, you could even call it the Firebird. just make it

this would sell better IMO if it was advertised as well as the Camaro

i say this because it would get a lot of Mercedes/BMW/Audi coupe lovers that really don't want to pay that much for those cars and they do not want a childish looking Camaro

OMG GM why would you pass this up

BOOM!

gto_new.jpg

g8-2.jpg

g8-1.jpg

call it the GTO, G7, G8 coupe, you could even call it the Firebird. just make it

i say this because it would get a lot of Mercedes/BMW/Audi coupe lovers that really don't want to pay that much for those cars and they do not want a childish looking Camaro

I just popped a BONner

BOOM!

gto_new.jpg

g8-2.jpg

g8-1.jpg

That thing looks nasty... In a GREAT way. Very AMGish, especially on the ass end/wheelwell lines.