Ford Fusion Hybrid: 43.1 mpg in road test

wescoent

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive, can anybody post comparison stats?

Average reported fuel economy on fueleconomy.gov (2008 hybrid models):

Prius: 46.5 mpg

Civic: 46.0 mpg

Fusion: 44.1 mpg

Camry: 36.4 mpg

Altima: 35.1 mpg

Malibu: 33.0 mpg

Escape FWD: 30.7 mpg

Escape 4WD: 29.3 mpg

Highlander: 23.5 mpg

I averaged the 4 results stated in the article by the different testers to come up with 44.05 for the Fusion. Wow. The Highlander Hybrid sucks, doesn't it?

Edited by NickF1011

I averaged the 4 results stated in the article by the different testers to come up with 44.05 for the Fusion. Wow. The Highlander Hybrid sucks, doesn't it?

Will Ford make any money on these? I heard somewhere that they lose money on the Hybrids, but it helps corporate image and CAFE standards.

Will Ford make any money on these? I heard somewhere that they lose money on the Hybrids, but it helps corporate image and CAFE standards.

Ford stated some time ago that the '10 Fusion program would bring them to "break even" on hybrids. Any profit they do bring in will be minimal at best. As you said though, it helps CAFE and corporate image, both of which are somewhat impossible to place a dollar amount upon.

:redcard::redcard::redcard: wheres the TDI......sincerely Mhlm5 ( hacked into Deans computer ) side note, Why do people stop at a traffic light 30 yards from the white line?

You can not compare this unscientific test to the EPA rating. But EPA does report "MPG estimate by drivers like you". I think this is a fairer comparison.

Here is the ratings.

Pruis 38.7

Civic 44.4

Camry 36.1

Fusion 44.1

Looks like Toyotas lead in hybrid technology is only a myth. The real winner is Ford in the real world.

Make Honda a winner too since they get better results at a much cheaper cost.

Edited by battyr

You can not compare this unscientific test to the EPA rating. But EPA does report "MPG estimate by drivers like you". I think this is a fairer comparison.

Here is the ratings.

Pruis 38.7

Civic 44.4

Camry 36.1

Fusion 44.1

Looks like Toyotas lead in hybrid technology is only a myth. The real winner is Ford in the real world.

Well, the Camry and Civic numbers are actually pretty close to those on fueleconomy.gov. I think averaging both of those together would probably give you a pretty spot-on number.

Can't STAND that. :rant:

Back on topic, I think that if this doesn't show that Ford is up on its game, nothing will.

sorry, just dipped my pinkie in the derailment pool, as it seems the mere mention of MHLM5 usually equates to thread termination....funny though, is the Senate familiar with this "non competitive" domestic product...cough cough! forget about the fact ford happens to be class leading in more than one vehicular segment.....someone need to pull a Cheney and SHOOT the damn import blinders off the Cataracs....( LOL! no, its a Rincon, not a Catarac.....)

If they can do that with a Fusion, what could they manage with a 2.0L engine in place of the 2.5L in the powerpack and having the whole thing in a Focus instead? I would think that such a thing would be possible and the outcome would be a vehicle that EPAs in the 40s and realistically could achieve 50.

Imagine a 1.0L-1.5L Hybrid Fiesta....... :drop:

Edited by twintornados

Here is the ratings.

Pruis 38.7

Civic 44.4

Camry 36.1

Fusion 44.1

Oranged to oranges, wouldn't the Fusion EPA be more like 40 MPGs?

Those are indeed very impressive numbers. And I think the car looks fantastic all the way around.

So how much is this baby going to cost? I would estimate $26,700 nicely loaded. Placing it a notch or so below the Escape.

How does that stack up to the competition?

Gonna cost more than that I would reckon.

Those are indeed very impressive numbers. And I think the car looks fantastic all the way around.

So how much is this baby going to cost? I would estimate $26,700 nicely loaded. Placing it a notch or so below the Escape.

How does that stack up to the competition?

Check out the dash

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28140688/

awesome!

Edited by kpc655

TDI...YES. Only BON users would bash Diesel.

You can't simply take MPG numbers from a Hybrid and say "who needs TDI". What about horsepower? Torque? How do those numbers play into it?

I'd take a diesel any day of the week and twice on Sunday over ANY hybrid. Especially in a mid sized sedan like a Fusion. It would certinaly be a more fun car to drive! The gasoline engines in the Fusion are underpowered, making the vehicle sluggish compared to what i can be. Wonder what the Hybrid is gonna bring.

The Autoblog article was mute on driving impressions..and we all know Hybrids don't offer anything in the world of satisfying driving impressions. Oh wait this is BON....if I want a satisfying driving I should buy an underpowered Mustang then huh? :rolleyes:

TDI...YES. Only BON users would bash Diesel.

You can't simply take MPG numbers from a Hybrid and say "who needs TDI". What about horsepower? Torque? How do those numbers play into it?

I'd take a diesel any day of the week and twice on Sunday over ANY hybrid. Especially in a mid sized sedan like a Fusion. It would certinaly be a more fun car to drive! The gasoline engines in the Fusion are underpowered, making the vehicle sluggish compared to what i can be. Wonder what the Hybrid is gonna bring.

The Autoblog article was mute on driving impressions..and we all know Hybrids don't offer anything in the world of satisfying driving impressions. Oh wait this is BON....if I want a satisfying driving I should buy an underpowered Mustang then huh? :rolleyes:

Umm, you do know that the Fusion has received/is receiving all new engines right? The 2.5 I4 is more than competitive in its segment in power and better than most (all, for 2010) in fuel economy. The hybrid should offer better performance than the 4 cylinder variant, so power will not be an issue.

As long as diesel costs so much more than gasoline, it's never going to be widely adopted here, especially if hybrids like this can show such dramatic results. When diesel gets more in line with price next to gasoline, I'll be right there to praise its economy. And well, by then, so will Ford.