New World Fiesta killing it...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT what is being said abooooooove. :headscratch:

car is WAY too far along in the development process to be delayed another year...thats just illogical....I speculate September...theres been more shots and info on this car than the fusion hybrid, i'm actually surprized it didn't come BEFORE the fusion....so my money is on September....

We all know your disdain for anything built with an American name on it. But to further bash them because they never hired you and your wanting to place the blame on the union is a little to much to fathom.

How's that job working out for you blogging for the transplants?

:reading:

So wrong. :shades:

I agree that it should be out now. If it's ready to sell everywhere else in the world then what's not right for it to be on sale here.

Ford.com site say it will be out early 2010 as a 2011 model. No word on the .ca site

I knew 2 people that were ready to buy a new car between now and september next year and really liked how the Focus ST 5 door looks. But with it being so far away to even be announced they went back to honda last week, got out of their lease early and no charge, and both bought Civic Si's for 25,000 CND.

Who knows when the C-max will be out, so this means I need to keep my 2000 ZX3 running for what another 3-4 years before I can consider another Ford. Which is OK for me because my 2007 ZX5 isn't paid off for another 2. Then the wife gets it and it's either a ST Focus 5 door or a C-max with the 2.5T, otherwise.... It's hard to not buy a Ford when you get employee pricing, but....

DRyanC

Interesting thought process going on there. When I bought my Mustang I cross-shopped it with two other vehicles: The Camaro and the Trans Am. When I bought the Mazda6, well, I didn't really cross-shop anything...I saw it and liked it right off the bat. Only other car I test drove was a Mazda3, which I found to be too underpowered and too small. :shrug:

<GASP!!!> A Camaro!?!?

This isn't a matter of "fast or right" anymore. If this gets pushed into the 2010 calendar year, I just simply see no excuse for it. Why is it going to be ready for EVERY other global market far sooner? It CAN'T be taking them that long to ready the assembly plant, and are emissions/crash test ratings that different between Europe and the US that it takes 2 years to make the necessary changes? Specifically, WHAT is the hold up? Whatever it is needs to be identified and eliminated or corrected.

I was thoroughly expecting this vehicle to be ready in the second half of the 2009 calendar year, with the Focus following a year after. This sort of thing is a perfect example of congress's complaints that Detroit is "slow to react".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ford bragging about the Ford GT going from idea to producion in two years?.... A Ford GT!!! The car went over 200 mph! And now we need another two years to change the bumpers on a shoebox so we can bring it to the market that needs it most... Dead last. WTF!?

BTW, the award for consistently most offensive, but funniest avatar at any given time goes to....

(name here)_____________

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ford bragging about the Ford GT going from idea to producion in two years?.... A Ford GT!!! The car went over 200 mph! And now we need another two years to change the bumpers on a shoebox so we can bring it to the market that needs it most... Dead last. WTF!?

Isn't it also because when a car is launched, a certain amount of corporate resources are dedicated to ensuring that the rollout is successful?

I rather it be right than rushed. The 2000 U.S. Focus came out fairly quickly after it was launched in Europe. The first year was full of recalls and the quality of materials was significantly lower than it's European counterpart.

Edited by MarkFive

um its not to develope the car. its taking a year because they are retooling the mexican plant to build it. you dont exactly get that done in 3 months. oh and here, i'll beat you to it----"well why don t they import the european version untill the plant is ready blah blah blah blah"

Isn't it also because when a car is launched, a certain amount of corporate resources are dedicated to ensuring that the rollout is successful?

I rather it be right than rushed.

Me too, but a skunkworks team of a handful of gearheads were able to create a world beating supercar from scratch in two years, and judging from the reviews, the Fiesta is done right. In Europe. Soon in China. Years away from us getting it. This should be right at the top of Ford's to do list, after the Fusion refresh. Screw the Taurus, get this car on the roads. Not just for the additional sales of that one car, but because it's a PR goldmine. Rarely does the economy car have a chance to be the halo car. If it were available now, it would be.

Look at the sales in Europe...

I don't remember the fiesta being characterized as anything other than 2010 Cy on these boards. Apparently there are substantial modifications between the two (per old posts on here) and I know that Ford NA waited until the last minute to decide that they wanted it.

Edited by V8 Ford

Me too, but a skunkworks team of a handful of gearheads were able to create a world beating supercar from scratch in two years, and judging from the reviews, the Fiesta is done right. In Europe. Soon in China. Years away from us getting it. This should be right at the top of Ford's to do list, after the Fusion refresh. Screw the Taurus, get this car on the roads. Not just for the additional sales of that one car, but because it's a PR goldmine. Rarely does the economy car have a chance to be the halo car. If it were available now, it would be.

Look at the sales in Europe...

Wasn't the GT basically hand-built?

The quantity of Fiesta's rolling down the line in 2 hours is greater than the entire run of the GT.

I too would like a more firm date on the US Fiesta release. There've been several quotes from Farley placing the launch in in the Feb-Mar. 2010 time frame. Also, Automotive News quoted a guy who oversees Ford's Mexican factories saying production would start "on schedule" in second quarter 2010. All of Ford's official press statements have said only 'Early 2010'. I doubt anybody knows exactly when it comes out at this point. I also doubt there's much they can do to speed it up now, even if they were willing to sacrifice quality.

The reason why the 2000 Focus failed its Euro-to-US transition was beacuse they didn't give some training course to the Wayne employees before starting production. It wouldn't have delayed things much, they just figured things went so well in Europe that the US wouldn't need it. One can only imagine how much better things would be for Ford now if the 2000 Focus had reliability to match its looks an performance.

The reason why the 2000 Focus failed its Euro-to-US transition was beacuse they didn't give some training course to the Wayne employees before starting production. It wouldn't have delayed things much, they just figured things went so well in Europe that the US wouldn't need it. One can only imagine how much better things would be for Ford now if the 2000 Focus had reliability to match its looks an performance.

AND-what about all the other Focus' that were built in Mexico? your statement is absurd. was there quality glitches? yes. did the 2000 Focus fail? not even close

AND-what about all the other Focus' that were built in Mexico? your statement is absurd. was there quality glitches? yes. did the 2000 Focus fail? not even close

In 2000 it was mostly hatchbacks being built in Mexico, I think the majority of sedans and wagons that year came from Wayne. When I say failed, I mean that it failed to match the world-class quality it achieved in Europe. In the US it was one of the most recalled models in recent memory. Still, it sold well due to the overall merit of the design, and quality issues were certainly resolved by 2003.

I think the majority of sedans and wagons that year came from Wayne. Europe. In the US it was one of the most recalled models in recent memory.

i never graduated college, but I'm pretty sure "i think the majority" and "most in recent memory" are not considered reliable statistics. your talking out of your ass, sir. :slap:

i never graduated college, but I'm pretty sure "i think the majority" and "most in recent memory" are not considered reliable statistics. your talking out of your ass, sir. :slap:

He isn't talking out of his @#^&. Just from his memory....and it's correct. You can disagree, but be nice! ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_(North_America)

Manufacturing

Presently, Ford uses the Wayne Stamping & Assembly facility for the manufacturing of the Focus. It is located in Wayne, Michigan. The other former facility is located in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. The plant in Wayne currently builds all varieties of the car. The Mexican plant used to build the ZX3/ZX5/FocusSVT hatchbacks prior to consolidation of production in Michigan in 2006. That cleared the way to assemble the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ in Hermosillo.

[edit] Reliability

In the US spec models, despite a series of major recalls early in the car's life[21], reliability has steadily been improving.[22] The Focus received a Consumers Digest Best Buy Rating for 2005,[23] an award that takes numerous factors into consideration, including reliability and recall history, although Lemon-Aid still described it as "glitch ridden" up until at least 2004.

<GASP!!!> A Camaro!?!?

Yeah well, gotta admit, compared to most Mustangs of the time, the Camaro was far more fun to drive. I didn't want to leave the Ford fold, which is why I splurged on the Cobra instead of a GT.

um its not to develope the car. its taking a year because they are retooling the mexican plant to build it. you dont exactly get that done in 3 months. oh and here, i'll beat you to it----"well why don t they import the european version untill the plant is ready blah blah blah blah"

How long DOES it take to retool then? By the time this thing goes into production it will have been over 2 years. They could damn near build an entirely new assembly plant in that amount of time.

How long DOES it take to retool then? By the time this thing goes into production it will have been over 2 years. They could damn near build an entirely new assembly plant in that amount of time.

When you decide to change something, it means you need new tools. Those are not already sitting on a shelf somewhere. Bids and contracts have to be let, then the tool/machine builder must build. That doesn't even occur within one year.

When you decide to change something, it means you need new tools. Those are not already sitting on a shelf somewhere. Bids and contracts have to be let, then the tool/machine builder must build. That doesn't even occur within one year.

Are they not going to be using the same tooling they use overseas? It's not like the tooling needs to be re-invented from scratch here. The decision to build in Cuatitlan was made about a year ago, let's call it the beginning of 2008. This thing isn't going to go on sale until 2Q 2010? 2 1/2 years from decision to production? Tectonic plates move faster than that. :banghead:

I can remember when Airbus first got into making aircraft, it took them months to install the A300 wing jigs, only to leave all jig pins in when they lifted the first completed wing and the jig & concrete foundations out with it, gotta say Airbus didnot think it was funny at the time but it stopped production for nearly 5 months. These things take time Nick.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I can remember when Airbus first got into making aircraft, it took them months to install the A300 wing jigs, only to leave all jig pins in when they lifted the first completed wing and the jig & concrete foundations out with it, gotta say Airbus didnot thing it was funny at the time but it stopped production for nearly 5 months. These things take time Nick.

I'm sorry, but your comparison is ludicrous. Automobiles are not aircraft. And well, Ford HAS built cars before. Heck, they have already built THIS car before.

The US Fiesta is going to need a reskin before it even launches. This is turning into Ford's Camaro.

The US Fiesta is going to need a reskin before it even launches. This is turning into Ford's Camaro.

Gotta say l agree with you Ford could have launched the Fiesta in the States at the same time as we got ours in Europe, it was only $147 oil that twisted Fords arm a bit, the Arabs are about to switch the oil tap off again at the moment because they are not making any money, so l suppose it's better late than never as gasoline prices start to take off again sometime in the near future.

Gotta say l agree with you Ford could have launched the Fiesta in the States at the same time as we got ours in Europe, it was only $147 oil that twisted Fords arm a bit, the Arabs are about to switch the oil tap off again at the moment because they are not making any money, so l suppose it's better late than never as gasoline prices start to take off again sometime in the near future.

I agree that late is better than never, but the way things are headed, there may not be a "late" for Ford.

Nick: I've NO IDEA what the inside of that plant is like. But, Just the line that the vehicles will need to run down, has to be retooled. It's a total change. You are correct that the majority of parts seem to be ready, but bringing it all together takes time. Not only is it the plant, but it's also the vehicle itself. Safety and Environment considerations are involved in it. I 'think' Europe was a little lax-er on that front than the US. Trimming Salary Engr's doesn't seem to help at this time either.

If your willing to wait but have to have something quick, there might be a nice Pinto out there to tide you over. Word of Caution; try to avoid the Fire-Engine Red coloured ones.