Mullaly Upbeat About 2009

:redcard::redcard: I dont understand all of the wal-mart hatred.

They sell the same products as any other store, only, they are usually cheaper. I consider myself a regular person, and don't notice any worse shoppers at wal-mart from any other store.

I suppose those of you complaining about the shoppers probably would not want me around either.

Watch and learn.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

I personally dislike going to Publix. Everything is so overpriced that I find cheaper elsewhere. granted, I'll go when I need specific things that Walmart/Neighborhood market doesn't carry, but I cringe having to go in there. I dont mind paying a bit more for a better ambiance, but the atmosphere feels the same. I do like shopping their baked goods area since I know they don't post a profit in that dept., and I avoid their produce which is their highest grossing dept. I'll do a farmer's market for that...Anyhow, mainly the cleaning supplies/toiletries are what I get at Walmart. I hardly buy food, I eat out daily. I hate cooking...its cheaper to eat out as it is anyways.

Although I've always used Walmart as a gauge on our economy...if Walmart is doing good, then there's more poverty. I'm seeing more people having to go there, because Target is sort of pushing their wallets limits...

I personally dislike going to Publix. Everything is so overpriced that I find cheaper elsewhere. granted, I'll go when I need specific things that Walmart/Neighborhood market doesn't carry, but I cringe having to go in there. I dont mind paying a bit more for a better ambiance, but the atmosphere feels the same. I do like shopping their baked goods area since I know they don't post a profit in that dept., and I avoid their produce which is their highest grossing dept. I'll do a farmer's market for that...Anyhow, mainly the cleaning supplies/toiletries are what I get at Walmart. I hardly buy food, I eat out daily. I hate cooking...its cheaper to eat out as it is anyways.

Although I've always used Walmart as a gauge on our economy...if Walmart is doing good, then there's more poverty. I'm seeing more people having to go there, because Target is sort of pushing their wallets limits...

Well, for us, the choice is either Publix or Winn-Dixie, and Publix is nicer/better than WD, IMO. Pluss you can't beat Publix's bakery - they make really good stuff.

...its cheaper to eat out as it is anyways.

Say what? You are kidding, right?

I can feed my family of 4.9 (5 in a couple weeks when child #3 is born) for < $100 a week in groceries, and those don't come from Wal-Mart mind you, but the local grocery store. It costs $15 for us just to eat at McD's once!

I always make sure that I couple many of mu business meetings, as "business dinners" and because thats part of my business, I deduct that as a business expense. So really, maybe 2 of my dinners a week are 100% on my own and thats maybe $15-20 a pop.

Now, there are times I have a party at my house and on average if I cook just one major dish, it's not uncommon I'll spend $40-50 (2 trays of lasagna for example). I did a "Paella" (seafood and yellow rice dish) for New Years, that was $80 for 2 trays), Oven Roast, $70 by the time I was done...simple salad, 2 trays, about $30.

I did that whole thing of eating at home for a week, and I was spending about $300 in groceries...and I'm single!! And it wasn't because my house technician was buying expensive stuff, she was just following some simple recipes from a cookbook I gave her--- it didn't include anything else except, strict food. No cleaning items, or toiletries, just food.

I loathe cooking actually. Production takes 30-45mins, Eat it in 10, clean 15-20min, and then I'm at it a few hours later once again, urrrr...

I always make sure that I couple many of mu business meetings, as "business dinners" and because thats part of my business, I deduct that as a business expense. So really, maybe 2 of my dinners a week are 100% on my own and thats maybe $15-20 a pop.

Now, there are times I have a party at my house and on average if I cook just one major dish, it's not uncommon I'll spend $40-50 (2 trays of lasagna for example). I did a "Paella" (seafood and yellow rice dish) for New Years, that was $80 for 2 trays), Oven Roast, $70 by the time I was done...simple salad, 2 trays, about $30.

I did that whole thing of eating at home for a week, and I was spending about $300 in groceries...and I'm single!! And it wasn't because my house technician was buying expensive stuff, she was just following some simple recipes from a cookbook I gave her--- it didn't include anything else except, strict food. No cleaning items, or toiletries, just food.

I loathe cooking actually. Production takes 30-45mins, Eat it in 10, clean 15-20min, and then I'm at it a few hours later once again, urrrr...

Gotcha...with 2 small children, our meals are pretty plain. :hysterical:

I find Mr. Mulally to be inspirational. He uses the term "laser focus". I am personnaly trying to employ this concept into my daily endeavours for my New Year resolution.

In 1941 our country was attacked by another country. Peace within our land was shattered.( I am not Japan bashing, just using history as an example.) The American people focused on the job at hand, the keep the American flag flying overhead. The American Pilots of the Grumman Hellcats laser focused on the Japanese Zeros as they engaged them in dogfights in the Pacific. The G.I. in the Battle of the Bulge laser focused him aim on his adversary. They knew their actions were a matter of life and death.

Now our country stands at a crossroad in our History. We can, as I have done too much, sit around and complain and blame others for the problems our country now faces. Fact is we are all in this together as Americans regardless of whom is to blame. Individually we should commit to become focused in this year 2009, as our fellow countrymen and women did in the turmoilous years of WWII. We should "laser focus" on working hard and in harmony with our fellow countrymen so through our actions we will keep the United States of America the great country we love. We must do this to insure what the "Greatest Generation" has done for us was not in vain.

I find Mr. Mulally to be inspirational. He uses the term "laser focus". I am personnaly trying to employ this concept into my daily endeavours for my New Year resolution.

In 1941 our country was attacked by another country. Peace within our land was shattered.( I am not Japan bashing, just using history as an example.) The American people focused on the job at hand, the keep the American flag flying overhead. The American Pilots of the Grumman Hellcats laser focused on the Japanese Zeros as they engaged them in dogfights in the Pacific. The G.I. in the Battle of the Bulge laser focused him aim on his adversary. They knew their actions were a matter of life and death.

Now our country stands at a crossroad in our History. We can, as I have done too much, sit around and complain and blame others for the problems our country now faces. Fact is we are all in this together as Americans regardless of whom is to blame. Individually we should commit to become focused in this year 2009, as our fellow countrymen and women did in the turmoilous years of WWII. We should "laser focus" on working hard and in harmony with our fellow countrymen so through our actions we will keep the United States of America the great country we love. We must do this to insure what the "Greatest Generation" has done for us was not in vain.

Perfectly said.

As for Walmart, not me. Just like Toyota, Honda, Kia, etc... Hell, I don't even eat their food. They soak their feet in it, you know...

Good statement bondo007. I agree, Hope we can pull together and have an honest and open dialogue toward solutions for our time.

Well said... :roses: :yup:

What I don't like about Walmart is how their strong-arm tactics have affected the quality of many goods sold. Groceries especially.

Dagnabbit! I remember when you could actually drink Folgers! Not anymore. And you know when it stopped being drinkable?

When Walmart insisted on getting ALL their blends, not just the Walmart special blend (they used to sell a blend of Folgers at Walmart and Walmart alone.)

Now it's terrible.

They've also driven a lot of manufacturers into the habit of downmarking their product--reducing the size while keeping the price the same.

You can cut costs, sure, but when you get past a certain point, you ain't cutting fat anymore, and that's a lesson that's slow to dawn on your typical Walmart exec.

Sounds similar to how Ford N.A. was doing business

What's interesting is that Chevy is the one taking the Walmart approach - particularly with their smallest cars - while Ford is aiming higher.

GM is relying on the Koreans for the Aveo and new Cruze. Ford is relying on Ford of Europe for the Fiesta and Focus.

Anyone who doubts that there is a difference between the two approaches needs to read the Brit mags, which love the European Fords and aren't too keen on the Korean-based, Chevy-badged products sold in Europe.

I remember watching an episode of Top Gear in 2006. The mere mention of the name "Chevrolet Lacetti" by Jeremy Clarkson was enough to get the audience laughing.