Mullaly Upbeat About 2009

Certain companies will increase market share during this recession: WalMart (which I detest), Costco, and Ford among them. If there's enough product moving to keep the lights on, they should come out the other side stronger than they have been in decades.

Ford and Costco rock! I won't even set foot in a Walmart!

"We're going to use every medium we can. It's all about getting the message out," he said. "It's going to help people know that they've got great choices with Ford -- that we're well on our way, that we're financially viable, that we've got great products, a great production system and that we're making tremendous progress."

Mulally is eager to enlist employees, dealers and suppliers in that effort. But Wall Street says he also must hit them up for the same kind of concessions that GM and Chrysler will have to negotiate under the terms of the federal loans if it is to remain competitive.

Ford is confident that the UAW, at least, will give the automaker any deal the union gives the other two Detroit automakers.

That confidence is well-founded, said UAW member Brian Pannebecker, a worker at Ford's axle plant in Sterling Heights.

"There is a special relationship between Ford and the UAW, and that's largely due to the (Ford) family," he said. "There's a lot of loyalty there. A lot of workers put their 401(k) money into Ford stock. They want to see the company succeed."

encouraging...

Ford's biggest challenge in 2009 may be resisting going "toe-to-toe" with GM on discount financing and leases now that GMAC has $6B in fresh money from the Treasury !

If there is any kind of improvement in the economy in the second half of 2009, I would not be surprised if Ford made a profit in either the 3rd or 4th quarters or both !

Edited by theoldwizard

We don't have a Costco here as opposed to three super Walmarts within a 20 mile radius. We've begun shopping at a smaller grocery chain for food and only going to Walmart when we must.

Ford and Costco sell quality products at great prices and practice responsible corporate governance. Walmart....no comment!

Ford and Costco sell quality products at great prices and practice responsible corporate governance. Walmart....no comment!

Walmart basically killed every other competitor in our area except Target and they don't carry as much as Walmart. There are times when we don't have any other choice. I usually shower after I get home from shopping there though.

Walmart basically killed every other competitor in our area except Target and they don't carry as much as Walmart. There are times when we don't have any other choice. I usually shower after I get home from shopping there though.

I grew up with Meijers and Target, Walmart is relatively new to my area and much less pervasive. However, they did open one in Rochester. Meijers is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better store, although the clientele is about the same ;)

I grew up with Meijers and Target, Walmart is relatively new to my area and much less pervasive. However, they did open one in Rochester. Meijers is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better store, although the clientele is about the same ;)

The super Walmarts are open 24 hours and after 10:00PM it's a freak show. They're not the kind of people I care to run into in a dark parking lot.

I'm luckily blessed with a great 24hr Walmart...considering what I had to endure in Miami, anything outside of that is paradise. Everything is kept up pretty well, people are very friendly...as for the clientele, I'm surprised how decent the majority of the people are. It's not uncommon I'll go past midnight to get my shopping done and it's pretty safe. We have strict commercial code enforcement which is why it's kept up well. When they were building it, they came before us in the commission and we asked for a large amount of trees in the parking lot area, and to shade from main road rather well. And we have "sign standards" so the sign is minimal and low to the ground (we call them monument signs). We also asked for an upgraded facade. Walmart complied, and was nice enough to contribute about $150K into our city's tree fund for good measure. I can't really complain about them.

My only issue is seeing the obese customers that use those motorized scooter/shopping thingies...and you KNOW they can walk perfectly fine but take the lazy route and wonder why they are fat. And the aisles are a bit tight to allow them in another shopping cart by comfortably. But I'm ok with it.

We also have a Walmart "Neighborhood Market" and thats another quality project... ithe clientel is clean and decent... and Walmart jumped thru all of the hurdles again to bring a quality product/project as well.

Again, it's all what you make it. If you got a standard box, low community standards, low code enforcement (or lack thereof) and the people are freaky, then it's not really Walmarts fault, it's where your at and what your city planning dept/cityl standards, are.

The super Walmarts are open 24 hours and after 10:00PM it's a freak show. They're not the kind of people I care to run into in a dark parking lot.

That's funny! Our nearest Walmart was very near a large honky-tonk. Before the bar finally went out of business, its patrons used Walmart as a day (night?) care center. After 10:00 PM there were kids everywhere, riding bikes, playing tag, aimlessly wandering the aisles and who knows what else. And, of course, "drunk shopping" seemed to be the game the whole family could play, too. Freak show is an apt description!

We have a super Walmart here also. Our community is small, so there is not alot of choice for shopping. However, for groceries, I go to Bashas, which is an AZ grocery chain.

I go to Walmart when I have no other choice.

I often prefer to go to Walmart late at night. Less rude people. We do not have alot of "undesirables" in our town, so it is pretty much the same at night vs day. Except that it is far less crowded.

That said, I am also optimistic about Ford for 2009. While GM has been flopping around, waiting for a bailout, and Chrysler has been doing pretty much nothing................ Ford has been quietly plugging along, with their plan. The payoff is coming, with all the new models coming out.

About the only thing that needs to be worked on, is the stupid media grouping Ford in with the other two............... in every bashing article. If that can be circumvented, then the public perception of Ford will continue to get better and better.

:redcard::redcard: I dont understand all of the wal-mart hatred.

They sell the same products as any other store, only, they are usually cheaper. I consider myself a regular person, and don't notice any worse shoppers at wal-mart from any other store.

I suppose those of you complaining about the shoppers probably would not want me around either.

:redcard::redcard: I dont understand all of the wal-mart hatred.

They sell the same products as any other store, only, they are usually cheaper. I consider myself a regular person, and don't notice any worse shoppers at wal-mart from any other store.

I suppose those of you complaining about the shoppers probably would not want me around either.

Not about the cheap products, you can't even support yourself let alone a family on the pay that they give you. They are hated for the most part because of all the businesses that they destroyed that couldn't compete and they are one of the reasons why pay for individuals has gone cheaper bringing the standard of living down.

What I don't like about Walmart is how their strong-arm tactics have affected the quality of many goods sold. Groceries especially.

Dagnabbit! I remember when you could actually drink Folgers! Not anymore. And you know when it stopped being drinkable?

When Walmart insisted on getting ALL their blends, not just the Walmart special blend (they used to sell a blend of Folgers at Walmart and Walmart alone.)

Now it's terrible.

They've also driven a lot of manufacturers into the habit of downmarking their product--reducing the size while keeping the price the same.

You can cut costs, sure, but when you get past a certain point, you ain't cutting fat anymore, and that's a lesson that's slow to dawn on your typical Walmart exec.

Not about the cheap products, you can't even support yourself let alone a family on the pay that they give you. They are hated for the most part because of all the businesses that they destroyed that couldn't compete and they are one of the reasons why pay for individuals has gone cheaper bringing the standard of living down.

That's why we buy our groceries from one of the regional chains. They pay better plus the dollars stay here. They also have far better customer service than Walmart.