Transit Connect, Underwhelming Fuel Economy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like the Transit Connect from the beginning but got plenty of grief around here for my opinion...maybe some people are starting to see it for what it is.

The intended customers are small business that are currently not buying small trucks like they used to because when you look at the facts a properly optioned full size truck gets nearly the same mileage with a lot more capability.

No defense of the Transit connect. I have always said it needed an American sized engine.

But consider. It still gets 12% better city mileage than the Flex. Ford is still underestimating on early press releases. Mileage would be better with a 6 speed automatic. Even better with a DCT. But would also be more expensive. The 6 speeds are coming. The TC is not designed for comsumer use, but for a delivery vehicle. It is small enough to park, but can still carry bigger things than a Flex can carry.

When it get the C2 upgrades, expect an improvement in fuel efficiency.

I suspect those European fuel tests require certain gearing to achieve optimum fuel economy.

The US testing regime is completely different and US car makers spend years getting the gearing right.

Who's to say a different gearing wouldn't improve the US fuel economy?

I suspect those European fuel tests require certain gearing to achieve optimum fuel economy.

The US testing regime is completely different and US car makers spend years getting the gearing right.

Who's to say a different gearing wouldn't improve the US fuel economy?

Partially correct.

Final drive ratio is fairly high in order to accommodate the load carrying capacity with such a small engine. These small vans are built for "in city" operation, so freeway driving at 60+ mph is not a big issue.

Beside, the vast majority of Transit Connects sold in Europe are diesels and I suspect they have a manual transmission.

Partially correct.

Final drive ratio is fairly high in order to accommodate the load carrying capacity with such a small engine. These small vans are built for "in city" operation, so freeway driving at 60+ mph is not a big issue.

Beside, the vast majority of Transit Connects sold in Europe are diesels and I suspect they have a manual transmission.

Any one with any sense in the rest of the world buys vans and pick ups with diesels,

they're just brilliant at low speed torque and fuel economy.

I do not see this fuel economy on the Transit Connect as poor. This is a commercial vehicle, compare it to the E 150. And high power numbers are not needed for its intended market, hey, this is the market that used to buy many E150s and E250s with the 300 six, another engine not known as a powerhouse. Service fleets and delivery fleets that do bot use or need the full capacity of the E series can save considerable fuel with these numbers. (as a point of reference, our E series vans with the 5.4 average a whopping 9 mpg over their life, and the transit comnnect could replace most of them.) It the Transit Connect could average 15 mpg, that is a huge difference.

I do not see this fuel economy on the Transit Connect as poor. This is a commercial vehicle, compare it to the E 150...

This the Transit Connect, not the Transit ! It holds a fraction of what a E150 holds.

22 highway with a 2.0L 4 banger and the Flex get the same with a 3.5L V6. This thing is similar in size to a Honda Element which gets 20/25 with a more powerful 2.4L engine. No conquests sales from that market.

Kind of missed the "class leading" mark on this one !

This the Transit Connect, not the Transit ! It holds a fraction of what a E150 holds.

EXACTLY! Right now if you need a light duty delivery or warehouse vehicle your choices are pretty limited, and a half ton van is the default choice. A good example is one application I have - Cargo that usually does not exceed 500 lb, and a driver. In the past, a cargo version of a Dodge minivan, or a compact/midsize wagon would do. (Hey, I knew one outfit that had a fleet of Chevette 4 door hatchbacks with the rear seats removed that were in use up until 7 or 8 years ago.) The transit Connect will replace the piggish (based on my experience) half ton vans that are overkill for the application. Get the Transit Connect on the market now, and offer more economical engines as they are "federalized" over the next few years. Right now, the competition is the Chevy HHR panel, and the Transit Connect is better suited to commercial applications

I just don't see a whole lot of sales of this thing with this kind of economy. A far more attractive alterative as a delivery vehicle is a Chevy HHR Panel that delivers up to 32 mpg highway and 22 city, trumping the Transit Connect significantly on both counts. The Transit Connect is a non-starter here with those fuel economy numbers.

The Transit Connect has more than double the cargo room of the HHR, but only slightly more than the Element - however the door access is much better on the TC than on the Element.

The Element is not easily converted for delivery work. The TC was designed as such a vehicle - Honda doesn't have a panel van version.

19/24 is a bit underwhelming, but in context, it's actually pretty decent. But, I do agree that a six-speed and a 2.5 would probably get us something better. Or even that 2.0DI that is on the horizon.

Cargo-wise, the U.S.-spec Transit Connect can consume 143 cubic feet of stuff, and can handle items up to 6.5 feet long and 4.7 feet wide. A sliding door on each side as well as 180-degree-opening rear doors allow access to the cargo hold, which has a completely flat load floor and flat sides.

The HHR Panel has cargo-carrying capacity 62.7 cubic feet.

The Transit Connect is a truck, not a modified automobile that wants to look like a truck. It's designed for commercial purposes first and foremost.

Edited by MKII

I just don't see a whole lot of sales of this thing with this kind of economy. A far more attractive alterative as a delivery vehicle is a Chevy HHR Panel that delivers up to 32 mpg highway and 22 city, trumping the Transit Connect significantly on both counts. The Transit Connect is a non-starter here with those fuel economy numbers.

I agree that the TC should have delivered better MPG and that sales are going to be limited.

But how many large boxes are you going to move in an HHR. Maybe 5. TC mayby 13. It is not a weight issue, but the shape of the space. A few inches of wideth and a few inches of hight makes the differents between an extra row and an extra layer of boxes. There is value in a flat floor and square sides in a van.

the exact OPPOSITE reaction is being generated by the people this vehicle is aimed at...Flower delivery, caterors, DHL...hmm, common trend.....round town and stop and go delivery....( still needs a 6 speed tranny though )......

"19 mpg city and 24 mpg highway"

TRANSIT CONNECT WINNER: TEN MILE CREEK KAYAK

Hmmm.... maybe Europe is not smarter than Dearborn !

We can't buy the 2.0 gutless US gasoline powered Transit Connect you are getting old man in the UK, you can only buy diesel Transit Connects from Ford UK.

Gotta say l can't wait to see the reaction to Euro gasoline powered Fiesta & Focus's MPG when they arrive Stateside :hysterical:

the exact OPPOSITE reaction is being generated by the people this vehicle is aimed at...Flower delivery, caterors, DHL...hmm, common trend.....round town and stop and go delivery....( still needs a 6 speed tranny though )......

I think this is the point. Import it for the people who want it. If it sells well, then add a bigger engine, 6 speed and make a version that is perfect for the US market.