Lincoln MKT Pricing

ANTAUS

We were told in Ford classes that a Moonroof is a power sliding mechanism and a sunroof is the old manual pop up glass.

in which case there is no such thing as a sunroof from the factory anymore....LOL! ALL the factory ordering guides refer to them as Moonroofs,,,so seems the Ford classes were actually WRONG! how hilarious is that?

Edited by Deanh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They used to call those canvas tops on Bugs and assorted other European cars 'moonroofs', hence the idea that a moonroof is an openable panel, where a sunroof is a glass panel.

So, an opening glass panel is both a sunroof and a moonroof.

----

Similar fights can be had in the upper midwest by asking someone what a 'flickertail' is. Some will say gophers, some will say squirrels, some will say ground squirrels, and then you'll have a secondary argument over whether a ground squirrel is a gopher or a squirrel.

in which case there is no such thing as a sunroof from the factory anymore....LOL! ALL the factory ordering guides refer to them as Moonroofs,,,so seems the Ford classes were actually WRONG! how hilarious is that?

How are they wrong? Ford doesn't offer any manual roofs anymore. Like the old 92-94 explorers. Everything now is power and called moonroof or vista roof correct?

They used to call those canvas tops on Bugs and assorted other European cars 'moonroofs', hence the idea that a moonroof is an openable panel, where a sunroof is a glass panel.

So, an opening glass panel is both a sunroof and a moonroof.

----

Similar fights can be had in the upper midwest by asking someone what a 'flickertail' is. Some will say gophers, some will say squirrels, some will say ground squirrels, and then you'll have a secondary argument over whether a ground squirrel is a gopher or a squirrel.

so what the hell is a groundhog?......sorry wrong thread... :hysterical:

so what the hell is a groundhog?......sorry wrong thread... :hysterical:

Oh, there's many an argument that can be had over the difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck too.

--

But I remember clear as day the argument that erupted in a linguistics class over what a flickertail was.

And then the argument got even more ridiculous when two people who agreed that a 'flickertail' was a 'ground squirrel' discovered that they didn't agree on what a 'ground squirrel' was.

My professor's frequently reiterated point, during that semester was "words mean things", and this discussion was to illustrate that the meaning of words changes over time and from place to place.

Edited by RichardJensen

How are they wrong? Ford doesn't offer any manual roofs anymore. Like the old 92-94 explorers. Everything now is power and called moonroof or vista roof correct?

they haven't for years so no more sunroofs....yet they imply thru such packages as "Sun and Sound".....is it 1/2 past 1 or 1.30?....

actually not sure that is accurate , sunroof is metal to keep the sun out, moonroof is glass so one can see the moon at night...at least that is how we were told to interpret when booking a vehicle out...kinda funny really....

As far as I'm concerned, a moonroof/sunroof is a piece of glass in the roof of the car......it's a sunroof during the day, and a moonroof at night.

What?

Well, moon roof lets in moonlight, sunroof lets in sunlight, what lets in a hurricane?

Rainroof?

BTW, did you know that sunroofs and moonroofs have rain gutters and downspouts in them? I know a guy that does aftermarket installs, and they've got gutters that you install as part of the package and a hose that runs down to one of the chassis drain holes in the frame.

Well, moon roof lets in moonlight, sunroof lets in sunlight, what lets in a hurricane?

Rainroof?

BTW, did you know that sunroofs and moonroofs have rain gutters and downspouts in them? I know a guy that does aftermarket installs, and they've got gutters that you install as part of the package and a hose that runs down to one of the chassis drain holes in the frame.

(someone has become familiar with my warped sense of humour)......wonder what they do with all the cut-outs?.....

Rainroof?

I close my sunroof and put the car in the garage (well I do those normally) during a hurricane, so I guess then it's a garageroof.

Rainroof?

Im sure you would have figured I do know that. So remember, check the track for leaves and junk at least once a year to keep the drains from clogging and wetting you one day when you turn a corner.

Agree. MKT sales will follow that of the Flex (Project 80-100k, Sell 30k).

I doubt they would project that many for MKT. Also the Flex predictions were made before the economy tanked, so it's not exactly the best environment to sell 80-100K of any new model.

Sorry to keep this off-topic going, but I just discovered it.

Sunroof is just a glass panel. If it opens fully it's a moonroof. You'd know that if you grew up during a period when there was a difference.

Well, as someone who almost reluctantly admits to being slightly past 'growing up' when these things started getting popular (i.e. early/mid '70s) - and as was pointed out earlier - sunroofs (back then) were metal, moonroofs were glass. And also as pointed out before, Lincoln was the first with a Moonroof (capitalized, as that's the name that Lincoln gave the option) back in the early '70s. They also pointed it out in their ads and commercials by showing the moon through it (likely composited images). I'm don't remember, for sure, but I don't think those early Moonroofs opened.

Of course, Ford messed up the naming some 15-or-so years earlier with the Sunliner. :)

Rainroof?

Yup. Found out when one of the friggin' tubes plugged up during a rainstorm. After the storm ended, I got into a wet SVO driver's seat.

BTW, the SVO's factory installed glass sun/moonroof is called 'ROOF - FLIP-UP/OPEN AIR' on the window sticker. I guess it's neither a sunroof nor a moonroof. :)

EDIT - I hit submit too soon. I planned to add:

It would be nice if the MKT offered dual (triple?) opening moonroofs, not that I'm in the target market. It would be great for the car to be in Girls Gone Wild-style videos. :D

Edited by syrtran

It would be nice if the MKT offered dual (triple?) opening moonroofs, not that I'm in the target market.

First, it'd only be dual - the MKT is set up like MKX/Edge - has one large front panel and a smaller rear one. Third row occupants do not have a sun/moonroof likely due to the shape/slope of the rear.

It would be cool though if Ford could develop a system that would allow all 4 of Flex's sun/moonroofs to open.

The first Skyliner ('53-'54) was a fixed glass panel with a snap or zip in liner. This carried over to the '55-'56 Crown Victoria. The first opening sunroof was offered on the '60 Thunderbird which had a steel panel. Ford marketed a sliding canvas sunroof for the '65-'66 Mustang Hardtop and 2+2 that was similar to the Volkswagen sunroofs of the time. The term Moonroof was coined by Ford for the Lincoln Mark IV and Thunderbird in 1973.