My Detroit Autoshow Review

Alrighty, another Autoshow has passed so I thought I'd share my thoughts. I took 1,300 photos, but I'm too lazy to share them this year ;).

Ford had the best display and 'show' around. They had the most exciting product and displays, highlighted by well coordinated shows and spokespersons. I was trapped there for an hour filming the entire show. GM and Chrysler were depressing, it looks like the DADA put it together it was so half-hearted. They had only a fraction of the crowd that Ford did. In fact, Ford had the only crowded display. Everybody else did their usual displays, VW must have designed their display after the Apple Store ;). The real discovery was downstairs where they put together a Hybrid test track that simulated a landscaped suburb, complete with ponds, fountains, live trees, shrubs and flowers. I was absolutely blown away, the coolest thing I have ever seen at the show! Essentially, it was an amusement park ride; you could wait in line to ride in a variety of big 3 hybrid or fuel cell vehicles (including the new Fusion Hybrid). I didn't bother to wait, but I would have if I could be guaranteed a ride in a Fusion hybrid.

The Great:

Of the cars I saw at the show, the Taurus, MKZ, MKS-Ecoboost, GT-500, and SRX were my favorites.

The MKC was the best concept, hands down, it is high design VERY well crafted and executed, I couldn't stop photographing the details. You could take every piece of that car and put in an art gallery, it's so beautifuly sculpted and realized!

The Audi R8 is a masterpiece, my favorite car at the show!

The Taurus is gorgeous, I love the lines and the interior is ergonomic perfection! Look at the door trim, that is how interiors should be designed!

The SRX is quite nice, especially the interior, although the rear-end is quite a mess.

The Shelby GT-500 is sex on wheels, the Camaro and Challenger look like amateurs by comparison.

The MKZ actually looks great, especially the Sport in Tuxedo Black. The fascia looks quite conventional, unlike the MKT which is much more extreme. I really like the slimmer proportions on the MKZ, much edgier now that they've cinched up the back-end and squinted the headlights. The tail-lights have a single row of LED lights, I'm not sure I like that.

The MKS Ecoboost looks great, largely for its interior. The exterior is nothing remarkably different and could have been done a bit better. The new red color is amazing, but I really want to see this car in black!

I am in love with the new Acura TL, I think it's the best looking large sedan out there. Besides Ford/Lincoln, I like Honda/Acura and this design speaks to me!

The Good:

The Mazda 6 looks great outside, bad inside. The 3 looked great throughout!

The Volvo XC60 is a beautiful car, but my MKX kicks the interior's but big time!

The Toyota Venza is officially the first Toyota I would actually consider buying, I think it's a nice vehicle, although the interior leaves something to be desired. Nice quality, but the design is hideous.

The MKT looks a bit better in person, but it actually looks much more like a station wagon than I had expected. It's fairly low and long, I don't think consumers want to touch anything that has this sort of design character so I think the MKT is going to have a very rough go of it. The rear-end looks much better in person, as does the fascia.

The Equinox is quite nice, looks a lot like a bunch of other cars so it's sort of unimaginative, but it's a nice package to chase the Edge with.

The LaCrosse is handsome, but is still looks like a boring Buick. The interior has some interesting switchgear, but the overall design is too extreme and trendy with some goofy design indulgences without care to comfort (look at those dinky armrests on the doors!).

The Fusion and Milan are okay, but I'm not sure I'd call them improvements over their outgoing design...with the exception of the interior. I did not like the Milan in person, I don't think this one will do well. The Fusion Sport does look very sharp!

The Cruze is boring, but handsome

The Poor:

I did not like the Caddy concept. It was pretty lifeless and predictable, the craftsmanship is really poor and I just couldn't get excited by a design I've seen hundreds of times before.

The Chinese! Oh my God! I didn't realized a new car could smell so bad! :)

The Cobalt was the worst car at the show, parts were actually falling off the dashboard.

Chrysler 200C is the most boring design Chrysler could have imagined! It's hard to believe this is a glimpse at their future.

Most Annoying Moment of the Visit: Some guy sitting in the MKS looked at the wood and said "Bad choice, this is not Cadillac quality Wood". I got quite angry and simply stepped out of the car quickly before I opened my mouth, I was ready to tear his head off.

ANYway! A great show if you like Ford! Outside of Ford, I've never seen a show look so depressing.

Looks like the DADA put it together?

You mean to say they had a bike wheel sticking out of a stool and a urinal turned on its side and called a fountain?

That DADA reference had to be for me, Borg, you might as well admit it. Who else would know? Well, retro-man probably, I guess.

IMO, the art world needs another Marcel Duchamp. There is no 'fun' in art anymore.

The avant garde today is like going to a lecture delivered by the world's most boring Frenchman and all you speak is Japanese.

Edited by RichardJensen

I am in love with the new Acura TL, I think it's the best looking large sedan out there. Besides Ford/Lincoln, I like Honda/Acura and this design speaks to me!

After that line, I had to take the rest of your descriptions with a grain of salt. Good write-up though! You going to be posting pics?

You talking about the Acura, or the new Fusion? :headscratch:

personally I kinda agree..althought the color silver helps...with a little luck Pioneer they will downplay its IN YOUR FACE look ala Focus and utilize the "blackened" chrome.....course I have yet to see one in the flesh so I may be being a bit presumptuous.....

Edited by Deanh

Really? My mistake:

2009_Acura_TL_640_0.jpg

I love that car and I'm not ashamed! :P I like the Cylon shield, at least on this car. It's like the 3-bar grille, I only like it on certain cars (like the Edge). And btw, Cylons look like this now.

37475077.jpg

And DADA stands for "Detroit Auto Dealers Associated" :P. They are the organizers of the Autoshow event in Detroit. Essentially I'm telling you that it looks like the local dealers scraped up a few dollars to put on a display for GM and Chrysler ;).

I've been going to the Detroit Autoshow since 1988 and that was probably the last time I saw displays this rudimentary (except Ford).

I may post pictures, it takes an eternity for me to weed and name over a thousand photos.

Edited by BORG

Alrighty, another Autoshow has passed so I thought I'd share my thoughts. I took 1,300 photos, but I'm too lazy to share them this year ;).

Ford had the best display and 'show' around. They had the most exciting product and displays, highlighted by well coordinated shows and spokespersons. I was trapped there for an hour filming the entire show. GM and Chrysler were depressing, it looks like the DADA put it together it was so half-hearted. They had only a fraction of the crowd that Ford did. In fact, Ford had the only crowded display. Everybody else did their usual displays, VW must have designed their display after the Apple Store ;).

the ford display comments are very similar to what i experienced at the la show. best display by far!

i too really like the new TL. that and the new tsx look very classy and sporty in person. will it be enough to pull you away from lincoln?

edit: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BORG!

Edited by blazerdude20

Thanks guys! How on Earth...is there a B-Day feature on here?

Yes, I regret to inform everybody that I am now 30 years old. I am officially part of the establishment and it's all downhill from here. I encourage everybody to let me know when they observe senility setting in. Before you know it, I'll start buying Lincolns....ohh! Shit!

Edited by BORG

Yes, I regret to inform everybody that I am now 30 years old. I am officially part of the establishment and it's all downhill from here. I encourage everybody to let me know when they observe senility setting in. Before you know it, I'll start buying Lincolns....ohh! Shit!

It's cool BORG. I'm way younger than any of my contractors think. I'm not 30 yet, and I have a few lincolns. Just enjoy it. You're not really old until you're 40 anyway! :party2: :banana piano: :party2:

when you wake up and see a buick in your driveway you'll know your time is drawing to a close. :shades:

If it makes you feel better ill be 28 in Sept.

That doesnt help? screw you!

Happy Birthday anyway you old fart.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/41927/detail/