BLIS on only on Limited model of Taurus

It's only a safety feature if you forget to look over your shoulder, otherwise it's a convenience.

I'd still call it a safety feature in that it reduces the amount by which your attention is divided away from the road in front of you.

(Though to be honest, it would probably take me a year or so before I began to trust it :) )

Wasn't Ford going to be putting spotter mirrors (or whatever you'd like to call them) in the top outside corner of the mirrors? Or was that only on Edge?

I was thinking about that too -- wonder what happened to that? Or did they decide that they couldn't upsell people on BLIS if the little mirrors were standard?

BLIS is certainly a safety benefit. But it's also certainly expensive. If it was standard then the lower Taurus models would be more expensive, although BLIS would cost less than it would as a standalone option.

Safety is nice, but sometimes the cost outweighs the benefit.

As for the other Taurus safety features, I would avoid the pre-crash thing even if it was free. I don't want a car that can put on the brakes against my will. And I don't like those massaging seats, either, leave my butt alone!

It's only a safety feature if you forget to look over your shoulder, otherwise it's a convenience.

I use Microsoft Windows. I don't trust computers.

You still need to look for your self.

You can't look everywhere at the same time, even if you can, people don't always see what is there. Computers can't trust people.

I can also see the system forcing good habits. If you hear an embarrassing warning sound everytime you make a mistake, you may change how you do things. It could train people to be more attentive to where they look, and where they drive relative to the lane and other vehicles.

As for the other Taurus safety features, I would avoid the pre-crash thing even if it was free. I don't want a car that can put on the brakes against my will.

The Taurus system will not apply the brakes, it will just alert you that you are going to hit the object. MB system will apply the brakes, and I'm sure the Ford system will too in the future, but with the MB system you still hit the object. The Ford system just pre charges the brakes, if you apply them you get full braking power from the get go similar to Panic Assist.

Volvo's City Safe system will actually stop the car before you hit the object in front of you, but that only works at low speeds.

The Taurus system will not apply the brakes, it will just alert you that you are going to hit the object. MB system will apply the brakes, and I'm sure the Ford system will too in the future, but with the MB system you still hit the object. The Ford system just pre charges the brakes, if you apply them you get full braking power from the get go similar to Panic Assist.

Volvo's City Safe system will actually stop the car before you hit the object in front of you, but that only works at low speeds.

Is BLIS the only Volvo feature on the Taurus?

BLIS is certainly a safety benefit. But it's also certainly expensive. If it was standard then the lower Taurus models would be more expensive, although BLIS would cost less than it would as a standalone option.

I didn't suggest making it standard, but it would probably have a high take rate as part of a safety package available on all trims.

on all cars.

I was thinking about that too -- wonder what happened to that? Or did they decide that they couldn't upsell people on BLIS if the little mirrors were standard?

That's what I was thinking, if the mirrors were standard, what would be the point of BLIS?

That's what I was thinking, if the mirrors were standard, what would be the point of BLIS?

honestly most people would probably still would have blind spots with the spotters because they don't know how to adjust them properly. also a lot of people get special features to show off to theirs friends and family

BLIS also includes the cross-traffic warning when you're backing up.

Oh, I guess I didn't realize that was part of the BLIS system.....I'd definetely get that then....I hate backing out blindly when there two big cars parked on either side of you. Even with a reverse camera, it's still bad.

Oh, I guess I didn't realize that was part of the BLIS system.....I'd definetely get that then....I hate backing out blindly when there two big cars parked on either side of you. Even with a reverse camera, it's still bad.

I'm a huge fan of backing in :) It's a habit I picked up from my dad, and it makes me feel superior to others. (kidding)

On BLIS being LTD only:

It's a fairly spread out system that requires special sensors mounted in the rear quarters as well as a processor for ultrasonic signals.

I would assume the ultrasonic signal processor is shared with the adaptive cruise control and to simplify build complexity, they combined adaptive cruise and BLIS and limited that package to the LTD trim only.

Safety is nice, but sometimes the cost outweighs the benefit.

As for the other Taurus safety features, I would avoid the pre-crash thing even if it was free. I don't want a car that can put on the brakes against my will. And I don't like those massaging seats, either, leave my butt alone!

Regarding the reviews I've seen so far that include BLIS-- the consensus seems to be that it is more of a hassle than a benefit.

It gets a little irritating when a car going the opposite direction on a 2-lane road sets it off. Think about how many cars that can be.

Regarding the reviews I've seen so far that include BLIS-- the consensus seems to be that it is more of a hassle than a benefit.

It gets a little irritating when a car going the opposite direction on a 2-lane road sets it off. Think about how many cars that can be.

If it's anything like it is in the Mazda 6, I don't think cross traffic will be an issue. Besides it really only makes itself known when you are attempting to change lanes and there is a vehicle there.

That said the novelty wears off, and you turn it off. Our FX has Lane Departure System and a Forward Warning Collision, both of which steer and stop the car and while they were interesting at inception they annoy the hell out of me now.