Gettelfinger: What bailout?

On Wednesday, UAW President Ron Gettelfinger predicted there would be no wage cuts as part of the union’s concessions to GM and Chrysler. Gettelfinger argued Toyota’s workers actually make $2-per-hour more than UAW workers, if you count bonuses. But … but. … Toyota did not go bankrupt. … Toyota hasn’t had to be rescued with $17.4 billion of taxpayer money. … If Toyota can afford to pay its workers $2/hour more than UAW workers–perhaps because it doesn’t have to build cars under the union’s legalistic work rule system–that’s great. It doesn’t mean Gettelfinger’s workers have a right to $28/hour if at that wage their employers can’t stay in business without an ongoing multi-billion dollar subsidy. I’m sorry if this seems obvious. It’s apparently not obvious enough.

Link

This actually makes me want to buy a Toyota. I HIGHLY doubt I am alone.

So will promoters of greater unionization now boast that with unions, workers can earn $2/hour less? ... P.P.S.: The simplest solution would still seem to be to simply not give the Detroit companies more money. Let them keep the bailout funds they've gotten. Fine. A little gift. Beyond that, they have to work out amongst themselves--employers, union, creditors, bondholders, investors--how to survive. A car czar, or board of czars, increasingly looks mainly like a way to provide cover for ongoing subsidies, no?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the rest of America wants to set a pay scale for anybody, I think they just want the D3 to be able to hire for whatever it takes to get someone competent to do the job. Holding buildings hostage until you get a little more cream off the top is so twentieth century.

Ah. The other anti-union troll. Thought you'd never get here!

I'm not anti-union, I just don't see what's wrong with being able to pay whatever it takes to fill the seat. I mean they do have to charge what people are willing to pay for their cars don't they?

Okay, so the point was UAW workers are getting paid too much, right? That's why the union was supposed to make concessions, right?

So now the union is getting paid less than Toyota employees (as opposed to those sadsack temps that got dismissed in 2008 with a fist full of nothing for their troubles), and still concessions are expected?

------------

George Santayana: A fanatic is someone who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim.

The point is; the UAW="big 3" in the public eye. Ford does happen to have a number of employees who are UAW members. I apologize profusely for not pointing this out.

It is beyond bad PR; it is horrible PR, and typical double speak after promising concessions; claiming, now, for the first time that Toyota workers (after getting BONUSES) might have made more, after ignoring health costs, job banks etc., and oh by the way the federal bailout (v1) is simply breathtaking.

20081209-the-bailout-shitty-cars.jpg

They're not going to negotiate wages, or work rules. Bankruptcy remains the only way for these companies to survive. A "bailout" merely allows Washington politicians to meddle and throw billions of taxpayer dollars away in the process, without helping the businesses. Businesses exist to make money for stockholders Richard, deal with it.

This thread needs to be closed.

I really don't think you do yourself a favor crying so much anytime the head of the UAW is quoted. Try to sit back and relax a little. I'm not actually trying to engage you in a dialog, or piss in your Wheaties for that matter. Feel free to not comment on anything I say on this board, and have a great day!

Okay, so the point was UAW workers are getting paid too much, right? That's why the union was supposed to make concessions, right?

So now the union is getting paid less than Toyota employees (as opposed to those sadsack temps that got dismissed in 2008 with a fist full of nothing for their troubles), and still concessions are expected?

------------

George Santayana: A fanatic is someone who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim.

No concessions necessary, simply allow the D3 to hire for whatever it takes to fill the job.

Fair enough?

Edited by davdog

Frankly, I believe the point Gettelfinger was making was that wages were off the table as far as concessions go.

He's got a pretty reasonable point, IMO.

But, of course, we do have our demagogues, who substitute cheesy internet graphics, sloganism, and stump speeches for reasonable suggestions.

Fact is, in many GM & Chrysler factories, the UAW could probably stand to loosen its work rules.

But why not Ford?

Because Ford negotiated new work rules with the UAW instead of stomping their feet, whining to the press, and howling at the moon.

But please, by all means, feel free to stomp feet, whine, and howl at the moon here.

They're not going to negotiate wages, or work rules.

Your quote mentions competitive wages, it doesn't say anything about not negotiating work rules. In fact, by saying "part of the union's concessions," Gettlefinger implies work rules will change.

Edited by dante hicks

So, basically you agree with the union that the production jobs at Ford are worth $14 an hour?

Isn't this like my paperboy telling me that "yes you're paying $30 a week for the paper to be delivered and I'm worth every cent, but if you do get a new paperboy you'll only have to pay $15 a week?"

What the heck is the UAW actually saying? Are they saying they've been overcharging for production labor?

Frankly, I believe the point Gettelfinger was making was that wages were off the table as far as concessions go.

He's got a pretty reasonable point, IMO.

But, of course, we do have our demagogues, who substitute cheesy internet graphics, sloganism, and stump speeches for reasonable suggestions.

Fact is, in many GM & Chrysler factories, the UAW could probably stand to loosen its work rules.

But why not Ford?

Ford took no money from the Federal Government.

GM and Chrysler have made a deal with the Devil. Gettelfinger, whatever people want to say to him, is going to have to deal with that.

If the Federal Government is going to tell the automakers what cars to build, it isn't a stretch to believe they will tell the UAW what to do. Otherwise, GM/Chrysler are caught between a rock and a hard place, and won't stay there long.

Link

This actually makes me want to buy a Toyota. I HIGHLY doubt I am alone.

I'm not sure what part of that makes you want to buy a Toyota. Wages are comparable. You seem like a smart guy so I'm pretty sure you know the difference between wages and overall compensation. Overall compensation needs to be addressed in order to be competitive with the transplants- which is pretty much what Gettelfinger said. I'm sure you also understand that it's going to be a bit of an uneven playing field since the transplant facilities haven't been here long enough to face the same sort of legacy obligations that the domestics have to deal with. There seems to be a widely held misconception that the UAW has refused to yield anything and that is simply not true. Negotiations are ongoing and we all hope for an agreement that makes the domestics competitive without being too painful for the UAW. I get the impression that you won't be satisfied with any agreement that doesn't reduce wages- even if total compensation can be reduced in other ways. It's been explained on these forums countless times that UAW employees don't "make" 73 dollars per hour. Yet the media continues to repeat this sort of disinformation in many auto related articles, sometimes with an explanation of the real wages by the fourth paragraph,mostly not. Folks who work for Ford , particularly hourly, are weary of defending ourselves from half-truths and disinformation. You're welcome to post almost anything you wish, but you shouldn't be surprised if people get angry about your decision to buy a Toyota based on your reaction to Mr. Gettelfinger's quote. Or was that what you intended.....?

I'm not sure what part of that makes you want to buy a Toyota. Wages are comparable. You seem like a smart guy so I'm pretty sure you know the difference between wages and overall compensation. Overall compensation needs to be addressed in order to be competitive with the transplants- which is pretty much what Gettelfinger said. I'm sure you also understand that it's going to be a bit of an uneven playing field since the transplant facilities haven't been here long enough to face the same sort of legacy obligations that the domestics have to deal with. There seems to be a widely held misconception that the UAW has refused to yield anything and that is simply not true. Negotiations are ongoing and we all hope for an agreement that makes the domestics competitive without being too painful for the UAW. I get the impression that you won't be satisfied with any agreement that doesn't reduce wages- even if total compensation can be reduced in other ways. It's been explained on these forums countless times that UAW employees don't "make" 73 dollars per hour. Yet the media continues to repeat this sort of disinformation in many auto related articles, sometimes with an explanation of the real wages by the fourth paragraph,mostly not. Folks who work for Ford , particularly hourly, are weary of defending ourselves from half-truths and disinformation. You're welcome to post almost anything you wish, but you shouldn't be surprised if people get angry about your decision to buy a Toyota based on your reaction to Mr. Gettelfinger's quote. Or was that what you intended.....?

very well said and I'm not even going to get in this argument because it's the same people rehashing old ones and LSFan is a rehasher along with a few more

Whatever the argument is, the expense is being paid out in the amount of $73 per hour worked of a current employee. That number is real.

You said that it's a unfair comparison since Toyota doesn't have the legacy costs like GM/Ford, since they haven't been around for a while. Well, what about the profits GM/Ford made for decades. What happened to that. Sure they have LEGACY costs, but they also enjoyed HUGE PROFITS in the past. That money should have been managed for future legacy costs. The profits (in part) were distributed for profit sharing, dividends, management bonuses....and less on new technology development and right product mix.

The blame can be shared amongst all. The UAW can take credit for inflexible, non-adaptive, lines of demarcation work ethic, and management can take responsibility for not investing properly in small/midsize and hybrid cars and with clueless product decisions.

Whatever the argument is, the expense is being paid out in the amount of $73 per hour worked of a current employee. That number is real.

Prove it, please provide a link to the data used to derive that amount.

The auto makers are now distancing themselves from that original counterproductive claim.

Edited by jpd80

The only real truth that matters is the uaw telling ford they can hire new employees at $14 an hour to do the exact same job that ford presently pays $28 an hour for. You folks are fiip flopping here, is the job worth $28 an hour or $14? No one ever seems to want to answer that one.

The only real truth that matters is the uaw telling ford they can hire new employees at $14 an hour to do the exact same job that ford presently pays $28 an hour for. You folks are fiip flopping here, is the job worth $28 an hour or $14? No one ever seems to want to answer that one.

FWIW....as far as i am concerned I'm fine with $28 hr IF THEY WORK. They strike they get NADA. And in reality I beleive they deserve it FAR more than the FIVE guys charging the State $50 plus, dressed in Orange I see OBSERVING the one guy filling a pot hole or digging a trench....

On top of that, D3 will make one off payments to transfer all pension liabilities to UAW run VEBA.

That is a huge burden removed from car makers - the real watershed in the last agreement.

Do Toyota workers have a group pension plan set up or is it the individual's responsibility?

Edited by jpd80