SVT: Alive and Well.

The GT500 is a PRIME example of brand inconsistency. If things are so consistent, then why is it that Ford can't call a GT500 a Cobra, even though its got the same Cobra badge as all the other Mustang Cobras?

Anyone who is in the market for a GT500 knows its a Cobra. But for political nonsense reasons they can't call it that. But everyone who doesnt know that calls them a Cobra because that is what they see all over the damn vehicle.

Ford is going through great lengths to give the Lincolns a consistent set of names. MK [sUCH N SUCH]. They need to do this across the board..and SVT qualifies as well.

GT500 is one HELL of a lot MORE distinguishable than MKS, MKT, Mk.....talk about non descript....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its funny to me, because it seems like 3rd parties like Roush can pull this off but Ford can't. Ford can't market a SVT Focus....but Roush can market a Roush Focus! Ford can't market an SVT F-150, but Roush can market a Roush F150.

And how many of these Roush products have you seen on the road?

I've seen Tons more GT500, Cobras, Lightnings then I've ever seen Roush cars...to be honest I don't remember ever seening a Roush product on the road in my area. I've seen a Saleen or two over the past 15-20 yrs....

And how many of these Roush products have you seen on the road?

I've seen Tons more GT500, Cobras, Lightnings then I've ever seen Roush cars...to be honest I don't remember ever seening a Roush product on the road in my area. I've seen a Saleen or two over the past 15-20 yrs....

bingo....Roush....Foose...Saleen...and whomever else...usually a tweek here a tweek there , and then they try to push a 325 HP model for close to what a GT500 RETAILS for.....anyone with ANY common sense would purchase a GT500 over a poseur for basically the same cash....hell, even if ONLY for resale....

The GT500 is a PRIME example of brand inconsistency. If things are so consistent, then why is it that Ford can't call a GT500 a Cobra, even though its got the same Cobra badge as all the other Mustang Cobras?

Anyone who is in the market for a GT500 knows its a Cobra. But for political nonsense reasons they can't call it that. But everyone who doesnt know that calls them a Cobra because that is what they see all over the damn vehicle.

Ford is going through great lengths to give the Lincolns a consistent set of names. MK [sUCH N SUCH]. They need to do this across the board..and SVT qualifies as well.

I would have rather they kept the Cobra name myself also. But the naming inconsistency on that car has nothing to do with SVT.

And round and round we go. This is one evil merry go round. Imissed three pages of posts, and at the same time, I missed nothing.

For has a performance division, agreed? Ok. Why would you not want any vehicles that are performance versions badged as such. Short of Ford getting trigger happy and slapping the badge on junk, I can't see any problem, regardless of what vehicle they upgrade. If it's a badass Festiva, I have no problems with it sharing badges with the GT500. Different class of cars, but that doesn't mean the Festiva isn't worthy of the badge.

I think Nick puts SVT on a pedestal because he owns one. Not that it shouldn't put it up there, but to say other cars can't share that stage? Why not. The more the better.

Oh, Nick, before you say you don't call your car an SVT, you should check your sig. :hysterical:

And now I'm hopping back off the ride. Gettin' dizzy.

Edited by chiefstang

I would have rather they kept the Cobra name myself also. But the naming inconsistency on that car has nothing to do with SVT.

:hysterical:

Wasn't the cobra badge on the 60s era Shelby Mustangs as well? Vehicles that never had "Cobra" in the name?

At least its consistent inconsistency.

Besides, what of it having a cobra? That's a Shelby trademark, no?

I mean, Cadillac used to have ducks in their logo. Were we upset because the Deville wasn't a Duck-ville?

I think Nick puts SVT on a pedestal because he owns one. Not that it shouldn't put it up there, but to say other cars can't share that stage? Why not. The more the better.

Oh, Nick, before you say you don't call your car an SVT, you should check your sig. :hysterical:

I put some of SVT's indivudual vehicles on a pedestal, not the entire SVT brand. I was sorely disappointed with their Focus and Contour efforts.

As for my signature, of course I use it here. People on a Ford board know what SVT is. I don't use it around my non-car-junkie friends or in every day conversation about it though.

I put some of SVT's indivudual vehicles on a pedestal, not the entire SVT brand. I was sorely disappointed with their Focus and Contour efforts.

As for my signature, of course I use it here. People on a Ford board know what SVT is. I don't use it around my non-car-junkie friends or in every day conversation about it though.

Nick, You did not care for either the Contour or the Focus? That tell's me that you have never driven either. We had a 00 SVT Contour, And currently a 04 SVT Focus. Sure, neither are COBRA"S ( :ohsnap: ) But they are fine car's. I would say that I'd rather have the 00 SVT Contour back though. Only for that extra power down low. Now if the 04 Focus has the 2.5L SVT Duratec V6. That would been a home run, No question. But its still a fine car the way it is.

Hmmm, everyone I know in the car world knows what SVT is, including non "Ford people", I think some people just think their opinions are gospel..

The only thing wrong with the SVT Focus was the engine, should have been boosted from the factory.

Hopefully we get a Focus with the next gen worthy of the SVT badge, it would be nice for us normal folks to be able to afford an SVT vehicle again..

Hmmm, everyone I know in the car world knows what SVT is, including non "Ford people"

And how big is the 'car world'?

Ford shouldn't be trying to -hide- the existence of SVT. No one here says that Ford should attempt to hide SVT.

Rather, the point is that SVT products SHOULD command a significant price premium, and that is NOT possible with most of Ford's products at present.

Maybe at some point in the future Ford can come out with an SVT engineered Fusion that carries a $10-15k premium, but that's pure speculation at this point.

Right now the only Ford products that can sustain the SVT treatment are the Mustang and F150...... Therefore.......... I know you like to say that we're all against performance and so on and so forth, but consider:

Can Ford use the Mustang's 0-60 times to pay off suppliers?

Exactly. Until 0-60 times are valid currency, Ford has to make profits, not barn burners, and where the two are mutually exclusive (e.g. $30k Focuses and $35k Fusions) fuhgeddaboudit.

Nick, You did not care for either the Contour or the Focus? That tell's me that you have never driven either. We had a 00 SVT Contour, And currently a 04 SVT Focus. Sure, neither are COBRA"S ( :ohsnap: ) But they are fine car's. I would say that I'd rather have the 00 SVT Contour back though. Only for that extra power down low. Now if the 04 Focus has the 2.5L SVT Duratec V6. That would been a home run, No question. But its still a fine car the way it is.

Wow. Got to love people who jump to conclusions. I worked as a sales rep at an SVT dealer when the Contour SVT was on sale. I drove them damn near every week. Unfortunately, I was about the only one who did, as customers sure didn't care about it. It handled well and had good brakes. Other than that, the power wasn't exactly superb and it still suffered from all of the other shortcomings of the base Contour.

As for the SVT Focus, my only real complaint there? It was slow as poo. And it really had no personality.

Wow. Got to love people who jump to conclusions. I worked as a sales rep at an SVT dealer when the Contour SVT was on sale. I drove them damn near every week. Unfortunately, I was about the only one who did, as customers sure didn't care about it. It handled well and had good brakes. Other than that, the power wasn't exactly superb and it still suffered from all of the other shortcomings of the base Contour.

As for the SVT Focus, my only real complaint there? It was slow as poo. And it really had no personality.

Maybe I did jump a little, Either is by no means a GT500 (Or your Cobra) but looking at what SVT was (is??) about (roadracing) that is where they both shine. And FWIW, We had a 99 Cougar at the same time we had the SVT Contour, Which I drove the shit out of both of them. The acceleration of the Cougar over the SVT was laughable. I will say that I felt more planted in the Cougar.

My Focus, When it is cold. There is absolutley no personality I will agree 1000000%. But when she warm's up its not all that bad. It's like having two car's in one. :hysterical:

Maybe I did jump a little, Either is by no means a GT500 (Or your Cobra) but looking at what SVT was (is??) about (roadracing) that is where they both shine. And FWIW, We had a 99 Cougar at the same time we had the SVT Contour, Which I drove the shit out of both of them. The acceleration of the Cougar over the SVT was laughable. I will say that I felt more planted in the Cougar.

My Focus, When it is cold. There is absolutley no personality I will agree 1000000%. But when she warm's up its not all that bad. It's like having two car's in one. :hysterical:

So much more could have been done with the Cougar if the bean-counters didn't get involved. Opportunity missed.