Revive the "Have you driven a Ford lately?" ad campaign

I was just thinking about the "Have you driven a Ford lately?" ad campaign from, what was it, early 80's?

Since Ford is building some momentum in the marketplace again I think it's a perfect time to revive that tagline and get the word out again. Ford has some great product now, lets get the word out!

Here's my 70 B2 to provide some inspiration.

0F02G163193

post-35493-1234410877_thumb.jpg

Edited by marksboss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the motion the re-instate the "Have you driven a Ford, lately?" ad campaign....

Heck, why don't we just remake that commercial....same song, same everything (modern versions of course w/ Mike Rowe as the voiceover) while we're at it? LOL

----

I'm not opposed to reviving the "Have you driven a Ford, lately?" slogan, but I think the "Drive One" works.....it allows them to branch out into Quality, Green, Safety, Smart using the same beginning "Drive..."

I also loved the Ford Proof commercial:

That could be updated with Fusion Hybrid, Flex, Taurus, and others.

Now is NOT the time. At least on TV.

The bad economic news is too hot. Any ad campaign will fall on relatively deaf ears.

Although it may be good time to showcase high mpg cars, trying to convince buyers on pricier models might be wasted effort.

Give it a coupla months at least. As soon as some good news starts showing up, thats when Ford should blitz 'em.

And for gosh' sake Americans need to know about relibility & safety!

Now is NOT the time. At least on TV.

The bad economic news is too hot. Any ad campaign will fall on relatively deaf ears.

Although it may be good time to showcase high mpg cars, trying to convince buyers on pricier models might be wasted effort.

Give it a coupla months at least. As soon as some good news starts showing up, thats when Ford should blitz 'em.

And for gosh' sake Americans need to know about relibility & safety!

Nobody said you had to advertise the higher-end/pricier models.

I think the "Drive One" campaign is/was supposed to be a modern interpretation of the "Have you driven a Ford lately?" campaign.

You're right RMC....Drive One is the "modern take" on "Have you driven a Ford lately."...thank god that is the slogan they went with, one of the other ideas was called, "Doing the Henry"....yikes!!!

Any ad campaign must emphasize a these main points:

1. Quality is now on par with Toyota! Many people I talk to still think "Ford = American Car = Junk". The new stories from JD Powers and Consumer reports can't be emphasized enough! I saw a story that said something like " people don't think the Fusion is more reliable than the Camry, but it is!". Why is this quote not plastered in every Ford ad I see?!!?!?!!??!?!

2. MPG. Many of Fords vehicles are near the top in their class for MPG. This also needs to be highlighted. Again people think "Taurus = big American car = crappy mpg".

3. Safety. From F150 to Taurus to Focus, Ford makes some the safest cars out there. With Families this is a HUGE selling point. Play it up!

4. Technology and Fun. The new Taurus, new Fusion and someday new Focus off lots of both. Point this out too.

Quality, MPG, safe, high tech and fun to drive. Say all of that in a one page ad or 30 second spot. Hard to do but hey that is what they get the big bucks for at the ad agency.

Ford has a lot going for it, especially with the models coming in '10 and '11 and '12. But yes the advertising has sucked the last few years.

Maybe tag line should be "Have you driven a Ford latley? No we really mean it? Have you?"

Last summer the Brookpark Rd. Ford plant in Cleveland had a huge "Have You Driven A Ford Lately?" sign on the building. After seeing this I thought they were bringing the slogan back.

I remember watching a baseball game last year (don't remember which game), but the outfield wall had a big Ford oval with "Have you driven a Ford, lately?" written under it.

Any ad campaign must emphasize a these main points:

1. Quality is now on par with Toyota! Many people I talk to still think "Ford = American Car = Junk". The new stories from JD Powers and Consumer reports can't be emphasized enough! I saw a story that said something like " people don't think the Fusion is more reliable than the Camry, but it is!". Why is this quote not plastered in every Ford ad I see?!!?!?!!??!?!

2. MPG. Many of Fords vehicles are near the top in their class for MPG. This also needs to be highlighted. Again people think "Taurus = big American car = crappy mpg".

3. Safety. From F150 to Taurus to Focus, Ford makes some the safest cars out there. With Families this is a HUGE selling point. Play it up!

4. Technology and Fun. The new Taurus, new Fusion and someday new Focus off lots of both. Point this out too.

Quality, MPG, safe, high tech and fun to drive. Say all of that in a one page ad or 30 second spot. Hard to do but hey that is what they get the big bucks for at the ad agency.

Ford has a lot going for it, especially with the models coming in '10 and '11 and '12. But yes the advertising has sucked the last few years.

Maybe tag line should be "Have you driven a Ford latley? No we really mean it? Have you?"

That's what Ford's current setup is:

Drive One: Drive Quality, Drive Green, Drive Safe, Drive Smart.

The whole "Drive One" slogan is still relatively new, so I think given another year or so, you'll see some good commercials coming out.

The school in my signature hit it big with a tagline and ad campaign a few years ago, "You can go anywhere from here." The slogan was coupled with shots of such tax-evading folk as Tom Daschle (SDSU '68ish), and other law abiding citizens such as Adam Vinatieri and a bunch of extremely unknown people doing very interesting things almost anywhere but in South Dakota

(which is, to be sure, an interesting attitude to have about the state's perpetual brain-drain)

Last year, they shortened it up to "Go Somewhere", and the campaigns got a bit edgier (louder music, more visual effects)--but they keep the "You can go anywhere from here" slogan at the tail end of the commercial.

Similarly, "Drive One" is the modern version of "Have you driven a Ford, lately?" It's shorter, more concise, and not a bit more edgy. Not unlike the switch from the statement "You can go anywhere..." to the imperative, "Go somewhere".

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Administration/Uni...ywhereFromHere/

Compare the top three videos with the ones below it, to get a sense of how 'edgy' campaigns featuing imperative slogans are the new wave.

(crazy thing is, the ad agency that did this campaign hasn't done much else worth noting anywhere else in years--these ads, however, won national awards)

Edited by RichardJensen

Up here in Canada the slogan is "Powered by You"

Here's a FLEX commercial from Canada. There's a couple other versions. One says It's not just a new Crossover, it's the BEST new Crossover.

and the other says Introducing Flex. It pushes all the right buttons.

You'll see the Powered By You right at the end. I like the slogan.

FLEX CANADA Commercial

Edited by guilt trip

Up here in Canada the slogan is "Powered by You"

Here's a FLEX commercial from Canada. There's a couple other versions. One says It's not just a new Crossover, it's the BEST new Crossover.

and the other says Introducing Flex. It pushes all the right buttons.

You'll see the Powered By You right at the end. I like the slogan.

FLEX CANADA Commercial

It'd be nice if those were US MPG figures (22/34).