Genesis Coupe vs G37

ANTAUS

i figure, if someone is really concerned over performance, you can get the less expensive Mustang GT over the Genesis. Then I thought, "hmm could it be the luxury ammenities the GC has ?" well not really though...the Mustang has toys that the GC doesn't. So then my thinking is, well what if someone wants luxury over performance? But i'm looking at the toys and such, and yeah the Mustang still has toys that the GC doesn't, and other than maybe some soft touch material here and there, I dont see anything much that conveys luxury. I mean, to start with, if someone wants luxury, the Hyundai badge is something that would stray many. I dont see the G37 or 335iC really cross shop this vehicle though.

Who I do see is probably someone who probably is looking at a Solara coupe, Altima coupe or Monte Carlo (they still make that crap?) Someone who isnt concerned too much about the badge. Maybe an ex-Acura CL buyer, etc.

Although I was shocked to see the G37 is hitting $45K ? Which I think is about $8K too much, but thats just me...

One thing about the depression though is that it won't make coupes very sustainable for companies, when they are building a few thousands of them a year....

i figure, if someone is really concerned over performance, you can get the less expensive Mustang GT over the Genesis. Then I thought, "hmm could it be the luxury ammenities the GC has ?" well not really though...the Mustang has toys that the GC doesn't. So then my thinking is, well what if someone wants luxury over performance? But i'm looking at the toys and such, and yeah the Mustang still has toys that the GC doesn't, and other than maybe some soft touch material here and there, I dont see anything much that conveys luxury. I mean, to start with, if someone wants luxury, the Hyundai badge is something that would stray many. I dont see the G37 or 335iC really cross shop this vehicle though.

Who I do see is probably someone who probably is looking at a Solara coupe, Altima coupe or Monte Carlo (they still make that crap?) Someone who isnt concerned too much about the badge. Maybe an ex-Acura CL buyer, etc.

Although I was shocked to see the G37 is hitting $45K ? Which I think is about $8K too much, but thats just me...

One thing about the depression though is that it won't make coupes very sustainable for companies, when they are building a few thousands of them a year....

Price out a 335i....

And besides option for option a G37S Coupe is going to run you 37K.

I'd be curious to see what a Track Pkg'd Mustang does around the track (in comparison that is).

As it's been pointed out by EDmunds a few times, the issue isn't the engine, rather the calibration in the transmission. It has a powertrain safety feature that prevents the transmission from shifting quickly enough to make full use of that power. In other words, sounds like they have a weak tranny.

I'd call it Hyundai hedging their bets on account of their 10 yr/100K powertrain warrarnty. They know good and well that tranny won't hold up and are judging adding a little "insurance". I'll stand by my original statement that the car's nothing more than a "G37 wannabe".

Edmunds can keep the GC. I'd rather have the G37.

Seconded.

Thirded.

-----

And what Edmunds complained about on the G37's design and commended on the GC's design are the exact things I like and dislike about their designs. I absolutely love how the G37s look, it's simple/clean, yet elegant lines...the GC looks like it's trying too hard in it's signature styling points (the shoulders and window kink, which I hate).

Edited by rmc523

Actually styling wise, I find both vehicles as something that would have been designed 10 years ago. But nowadays it's hard to find styling that is actually fresh and exciting since every possible idea/shape has been realized

Something sounds wrong with that 6.5 second run to 60 with the GC. That thing is putting down 279HP at the wheels which is Mustang GT territory stock. Here is the test:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009...photopanel..2.*

Takes more than power to accelerate. If the impressions about the suspension being sloppy are true, I'm going to guess weight transfer is less than ideal also. Then there are the issues of traction, weight, and gearing.

my 1995 mustang gt, slightly modified :), put down 255 to the wheels with 292lb/ft. it was usually 13.5x, 13.6x @ 102, 103. how does this thing put down 270-something and be that slow?

simple. it doesn't.

not a bad looking car, probably much better than people give it credit for, but i hate all of the ricer math that is supposed to make this thing....what was it?....oh, yeah, car and driver calls it a "mustang killer".

good luck with that, hyundai.

my 1995 mustang gt, slightly modified :), put down 255 to the wheels with 292lb/ft. it was usually 13.5x, 13.6x @ 102, 103. how does this thing put down 270-something and be that slow?

simple. it doesn't.

No. Simple: It is. Take some of these into account...weight, gearing, tires, suspension. I mentioned all of these a few posts up. Also, the Genesis coupe makes nowhere near 292 lb-ft of torque. That alone would probably be the most important factor.

• 2 weeks later...