Discontinuation of Ford Low Cab Forward (LCF)

February 26, 2009

To: All Ford Dealers

Subject: EFC0200943DC Discontinuation of Ford Low Cab Forward (LCF)

Ford Motor Company will discontinue the Ford Low Cab Forward (LCF). Production for the Ford LCF will end May 29, 2009. Final orders need to be placed by the week of March 30, 2009 to be eligible for scheduling.

Customer Support:

Any Ford Dealer properly equipped and trained is eligible to service Ford LCF models effective June 1, 2009. Service parts to maintain and repair LCF vehicles will continue to be available through Ford Customer Service Division.

Junk, junk, junk. Glad to see it go. Everything was so cheaply made and designed. That six cylinder had more problems per unit than the 6.0. At least in my experience. Forget about manufacturer support for the mechanic too. Diagnostic software was practically nonexistance. We've had one on our lot now for over two years. We love it because we all use it to pick up furniture and move and whatnot. So they're junk and they can't sell them, sounds like a winner to me.

According to a dealer friend of mine, great cab but the V-6 version of the Power Stroke was nothing but trouble. According to him, 50,000 miles and your were headed for trouble.

I don't think these things amonted to any kind of signifcant production at Bluediamond- either with a Ford badge or a Navistar badge.

I only saw one Ford LCF, never saw an International. They never marketed them. I can't understand why you only see UD's and GM/Isuzus.

Read theDuffs post. That about sums it up. Word got out on the LCF pretty early. The Isuzu is dead nuts reliable. Some replacement parts are not cheap, but NPR's seldom need any work beyond normal maintenance so who cares. UD and Mitsubishi Fuso are pretty good too, but Isuzu has a ton more dealers (counting Chevy and GMC commercial truck dealers as well). I know a fleet owner that simply will not buy a truck that doesn't say 'Isuzu' on the front of it.

Wasn't the LCF somewhat designed to replace the good old C-series trucks in the early 90s? I can't remember anymore, but anyways, the LCF was ok as far as everything else, you know, the Ford part, but the engine was garbage. Its too bad Ford has lost market share because of Internationals POS diesels. I hope Fords new diesels remedy this somewhat, but I fear alot of damage has been done and will be difficult to make it up.

There is a rumor that International may close Escobedo.

That would be a switch- and keep an American plant open? Did you see DC announced a new plan to build Cascadias in Mexico? . They then will have legitimate claim to "ugliest truck built south of the border"!

With all of the press Mexico is receiving on their out of control drug situation, I guess no one at the top worries about making significant long term financial commitments

That's too bad, these are the best moving trucks I've ever used.

garbage truck, lasted one year here, too pricey compared w the competition and had 6.0 problems...we had several buybacks and several that had birthdays.....BAD engine, BAD marketing, BAD market research....10 years too late to the party

Edited by Deanh

garbage truck, lasted one year here, too pricey compared w the competition and had 6.0 problems...we had several buybacks and several that had birthdays.....BAD engine, BAD marketing, BAD market research....10 years too late to the party

We got two of them in to have on the lot when they first came out. We have a pretty big fleet department, and they wanted to have them to show... They both had two birthdays.

Edited by chiefstang

We got two of them in to have on the lot whaen they first came out. We have a pretty big fleet department, and they wanted to have them to show... They both had two birthdays.

tried to convert a BIG company of mine that uses Isuzu. answer was basically why would they abandon a product they had been familiar with for 10 years, that their mechanics knew every weakness and that they had a styockpile of spares to accomadate known weakness's..

Here's a press release from Ford regarding commercial trucks:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-Bolster...s-14520976.html

I think it raises some interesting questions. First, Ford says the Transit Connect is on the way. We knew that, no news there. Second, there is the announcement of a new commercial stripped chassis. Good move, it sounds like basically an uprated commercial version of the motorhome chassis. But with V-10 power? Wasn't the V-10 going out of production? I also must assume there will not be a diesel option, unless the 'Scorpion' will eventually be offered. Third, a gasoline powered E series ambulance. I think that is the only way you will be able to get an E series ambulance after the 6.0L Powerstroke is gone. I am told the 'Scorpion' will not go into the E series. Hopefully, the 4.4L 'Lion' diesel will be an E series option, but would it be powerful enough for an ambulance? Ford will have a hard time competeing with GM's Duramax powered van cut-away in the ambulance market. Note that Ford states they will remain committed to the medium market with the 650 and 750. Good news, but there are two things that have me a little bit leary of that statement. First, in the recent International press release announcing their partnership with Caterpillar, International did state that they are now in complete control of Blue Diamond. O.K., we knew that, but is it news enough to warrant comment? Second, there is the rumor that Escobedo may close. Of course, the Blue Diamond trucks could be built at another plant. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but could there be a possibility that Ford may eventually bring medium duty production back 'in-house'? Oh, and one more thing: with the demise of the Powerstroke/Maxxforce 5 and 7, what diesels will Workhorse Chassis use?