Small Ford Crossover?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford's pitch probably doesn't apply to all situations. If it did, they'd be cancelling all naturally aspirated engines altogether.

not necessarily, at least right now the ONLY eco avail is the 3.5, not too many alternatives....like I said...yet.

not necessarily, at least right now the ONLY eco avail is the 3.5, not too many alternatives....like I said...yet.

Well, the 3.5 is available now, and Ford is still going to be using naturally aspirated V8's instead in many cases. Heck, they are launching two entirely new ones next year. EcoBoost is a nice fill-in here and there, but it isn't the answer for everything.

Well, the 3.5 is available now, and Ford is still going to be using naturally aspirated V8's instead in many cases. Heck, they are launching two entirely new ones next year. EcoBoost is a nice fill-in here and there, but it isn't the answer for everything.

you're talking basically trucks and maybe the mustang for the v8's....there wont be 5.0's or 6.2's in anything but those two lineups....which leaves.........and lets face it 365 HP is NOT necessary in the Explorer and the like, nice for SVT like hot rod vehicles ( what will they call the Flex?.... ) but mainstream...they need a middling capacity 4 cyl eco....

my two cents....3.5 eco, 2.5 eco, 2.0eco, 1.6 eco and MAYBE a 1.2 or 1.0....their applications will depend on size and weight/ torque requirements.....prediction i know, but BRADY WILL GET SACKED!!!!

Edited by Deanh

you're talking basically trucks and maybe the mustang for the v8's....there wont be 5.0's or 6.2's in anything but those two lineups....which leaves.........and lets face it 365 HP is NOT necessary in the Explorer and the like, nice for SVT like hot rod vehicles ( what will they call the Flex?.... ) but mainstream...they need a middling capacity 4 cyl eco....

The 5.0 will see duty in the Mustang, F-150, Super Duty, E-series, Expedition, and Navigator. At the minimum. Certainly not a short list when you think about it. How many vehicles would use a 1.2 or 1.0 EcoBoost? Two or three?

And this doesn't even speculate about a possible revival of GRWD and the powertrains those would utilize.

The 5.0 will see duty in the Mustang, F-150, Super Duty, E-series, Expedition, and Navigator. At the minimum. Certainly not a short list when you think about it. How many vehicles would use a 1.2 or 1.0 EcoBoost? Two or three?

And this doesn't even speculate about a possible revival of GRWD and the powertrains those would utilize.

?....hmm, last I looked all those you mentioned were classed as trucks, and LARGE ones at that....thus my point...i'm pretty much talking sedans and their crossovers....1.2 or 1.0 I don't rightfully know, but based on them getting 365 hp outa a 3.5 ....a 1.2 or 1.0 would be 120 odd hp for an economy car ala KA....a sports model perhaps, and even an economy engine for the Fiesta...then the 180 hp could be a performance Fiesta, economy engine Focus, and so on and so on....and PS I'm on a GRWD hiatus for a while...been teased for too long, I will beleive it when i see it..

Edited by Deanh

?....hmm, last I looked all those you mentioned were classed as trucks, and LARGE ones at that....thus my point...i'm pretty much talking sedans and their crossovers....1.2 or 1.0 I don't rightfully know, but based on them getting 365 hp outa a 3.5 ....a 1.2 or 1.0 would be 120 odd hp for an economy car ala KA....a sports model perhaps, and even an economy engine for the Fiesta...then the 180 hp could be a performance Fiesta, economy engine Focus, and so on and so on....

Either way, it's all speculation at this point. I just don't see EcoBoost as the saviour some are making it out to be. :shrug:

Either way, it's all speculation at this point. I just don't see EcoBoost as the saviour some are making it out to be. :shrug:

agreed, but it is an excellent stop gap until the next tech pops up....and really, what is the alternative....people will NOT forget the $4.50 a gallon rape-age that took place...

Ford would dump the Escape and use the Kuga as a replacement when the Kuga is the size of the Caliper.

Because the Escape is close in size and ability to the Edge. The idea would be that Kuga would attract the 4-cyl Escape crowd while the 6-cyl AWD buyers would opt for the Edge. The other thing would be capturing Focus shoppers who are cross-shopping vehicles like the Rouge.

Because the Escape is close in size and ability to the Edge. The idea would be that Kuga would attract the 4-cyl Escape crowd while the 6-cyl AWD buyers would opt for the Edge. The other thing would be capturing Focus shoppers who are cross-shopping vehicles like the Rouge.

Give a man an iguana, and he eats for a day... Give him a handheld iguana maker... :hysterical:

Was looking at the internal codes Ford uses for their vehicle programs and noticed that the Escape current code starts with U=utility (U377)vehicle. For MY2012 Ford changes the Escape code to C=compact (C394N) vehicle. Noticed Ford uses its North America code N at the end of the program code number.

I read this as the next Escape being classified as compact but designed for North America market being built at Kansas City #1 plant.

Also there is a Lincoln Small CUV program code C506 for Kansas City #1.

Info on slide 14 at this pdf link http://www.cargroup.org/ACP/files/0801ACPAssemblyq4_07.pdf

There was talk of bringing over the Kuga a couple years ago as a Lincoln, but the Euro and internal mess at Ford at the time prevented that from happening...so we will def see some version of the Kuga as a Lincoln. I see LOTS of Acura RDX's where I live, so there is a market for them

Kuga + refresh = 2012 Escape.

this has been all but confirmed. When the Kuga top hat receives freshening, Ford will move its underpinnings to the new C2 platform - the current Kuga is on a hybrid C1-C2 platform ... Once Kuga is on C2- it is US compliant.

Igor

There was talk of bringing over the Kuga a couple years ago as a Lincoln, but the Euro and internal mess at Ford at the time prevented that from happening...so we will def see some version of the Kuga as a Lincoln. I see LOTS of Acura RDX's where I live, so there is a market for them

Hopefully they don't uglify it to make it look like an RDX.....those are ugly.

Kuga + refresh = 2012 Escape.

this has been all but confirmed. When the Kuga top hat receives freshening, Ford will move its underpinnings to the new C2 platform - the current Kuga is on a hybrid C1-C2 platform ... Once Kuga is on C2- it is US compliant.

Igor

Igor with Ford using the N at the end of the Escape program code (C394N) wouldn't that indicate that the next North American Escape will not share commonality with the EU Kuga? Same platform yes, but not top hat, etc.

And maybe the Lincoln small CUV code (C506) penned in North America will be the global design, but still wear the Kuga badge in Europe??

My theory is based on what Ford announced some time ago where North America would be in charge of large vehicle design (CUV,SUV, truck) and Europe in charge of cars.

Edited by MKII

My theory is based on what Ford announced some time ago where North America would be in charge of large vehicle design (CUV,SUV, truck) and Europe in charge of cars.

Then why is the C2 being developed in the USA? I don't think that statement holds water anymore.

If anything, the platforms will be developed in one region with input from other regions and further modified to fit local tastes. Perhaps the best example would be the T6 pickup, developed in Australia and will be on sale around the world as the Ranger

Igor with Ford using the N at the end of the Escape program code (C394N) wouldn't that indicate that the next North American Escape will not share commonality with the EU Kuga? Same platform yes, but not top hat, etc.

And maybe the Lincoln small CUV code (C506) penned in North America will be the global design, but still wear the Kuga badge in Europe??

Yes, N is for North America, but C394 is EU Kuga's program code! Making sense now?

Maybe FNA does not like how Kuga looked, and will develop their own top hat and still call it Escape.

Then why is the C2 being developed in the USA? I don't think that statement holds water anymore.

I agree.

It appears that only F150 and up as well as D3/D4 based vehicle development will be based in the US.

Even though other vehicles will be developed in other parts of the Ford world, they will still have a lot of input from Dearborn.

If anything, the platforms will be developed in one region with input from other regions and further modified to fit local tastes. Perhaps the best example would be the T6 pickup, developed in Australia and will be on sale around the world as the Ranger

Exactly, all parties went to Detroit well over a year ago to discuss the input into C2.

The latest Fiesta was done the same way and I expect so too the Mondeo/Fusion vehicle.

One thing, Kuga has a 50mm (2") longer wheelbase and 44mm wider track than the C1 Focus,

it could be just the CUV dimensions or are we seeing a glimpse of an enlarged Focus?

If it does grow in size the Focus must be awfully close a small D car.......