Small Ford Crossover?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the Ford Vehicles Home Page. It is clearly listed as an SUV.

Kuga is coming. It is a crossover. It will most likely will NOT replace the Escape. Most likely it will be sold alongside the Escape.

It's a "lifestyle" thing. I would probably not buy a Kuga, but I might buy an Escape.

I really don't think we need the Edge, Escape and Kuga. They're slight variations of the same type of vehicle, and I think we have our bases covered there.

Let us not forget: Transit Connect and C-Max are also on the way.

Transit Connect? Mark my words, that is going to be as much of a game changer as the LCF. I can't wait to have Ford force me to take some so they can rot on my floorplan.

I guess Ford is going for a high/low approach with Crossovers/SUVs...we'll have low Explorer paried with the highend Flex and the low Escape with the high Edge.

You just don't get it !

SUVs are for one group of people, CUVs are aimed at an entirely different group of folks. Flex is actually breaking all sale projections in CA where Ford has done poorly for many year. Lifestyle !

There will be low to high end trims/options in ALL of the above.

I really don't think we need the Edge, Escape and Kuga. They're slight variations of the same type of vehicle, and I think we have our bases covered there.

Transit Connect? Mark my words, that is going to be as much of a game changer as the LCF. I can't wait to have Ford force me to take some so they can rot on my floorplan.

?....ok, whats the excuse for the Connect remark...someone spike your Quesadilla?.........Connect is a no brainer, LCF was 10 years late to the Isuzu party with an inferior engine that mirrored the 6.0 problems...and now its been dis-continued....the Connect has ZERO competioion...ZERO...we have 20 Connects coming, and interest is EXTREMELY high.....AND there will be a few recreational buyers rather than just Commercial...MARK those words....

Variety is the spice of life. What happens to the Escape is still to be seen at this point. I haven't heard anything definitive about an all-out replacement for it. Could very well end up with just the Kuga and Edge in the long run.

You stocked LCF's? Figured those would have been an order-only item. Transit Connect will be a fleet special. But again, that's what the HHR Panel Van is, except the TC does it a whole lot better. I'm not expecting them to sell retail on any level, if that's what you thought I was implying. And the TC being on a shared architecture makes it a much more attractive long-term asset than the LCF ever was.

Variety is the spice of life. What happens to the Escape is still to be seen at this point. I haven't heard anything definitive about an all-out replacement for it. Could very well end up with just the Kuga and Edge in the long run.

You stocked LCF's? Figured those would have been an order-only item. Transit Connect will be a fleet special. But again, that's what the HHR Panel Van is, except the TC does it a whole lot better. I'm not expecting them to sell retail on any level, if that's what you thought I was implying. And the TC being on a shared architecture makes it a much more attractive long-term asset than the LCF ever was.

I will state the obvious again for you doubters....Connect WILL appeal to Surfers, Bikers, Campers and Hikers.....

Dean, do you think it will be more of a regional vehicle with not every dealership needing to stock them?

from what I understand allocation is limited...we BEGGED for our initial 20, sure a majority will be commercial but I do see a niche market for the outdoorsy. I will say i do doubt rural sales will light a fire though...so, in that respect you may be right...

Not until it gets redesigned it won't. Right now it looks like someone put a wool RV in the dryer.

nah, its classically simple-esque, ala initial Scion....quirky as such...but FUNCTIONAL to a tee, and there in lies its beauty....it sure as hell doesn't look like anything else on the road and TRUMPS its competitors....

This isn't even worth a reply. It's been a friggen crossover since the day it was released.

You want to claim you work for the company, but can't understand what one is?

Shit. It's a unitized car body. Start reading some friggen articles put out by Ford to see if they call it a crossover themselves.

Opps, another foot in mouth huh?

A unibody "car based" SUV is still an SUV. A unibody "car based" Crossover is still an Crossover. Ford may have and may still refer to the Escape as a crossover, but on their website it's listed as an SUV. And if/when the Kuga (or whatever they call it) gets here, it will be called a Crossover and will be listed as such.

Just a little bit of overkill isn't it? Where does the Escape platform go in about 3-4 years? Its been on the same platform since 2001 or so when it came out.

The only advantage that the Kuga has over the Escape is that it seems like it can be slotted lower then the Escape can be price-wise, thus not as much overlap with the Edge...

I guess Ford is going for a high/low approach with Crossovers/SUVs...we'll have low Explorer paried with the highend Flex and the low Escape with the high Edge.

I think there is plenty of room in the line-up for both CUV's & SUV's. A compact Kuga & Escape (maybe even on the same platform), Midsized Edge & Explorer, Full Size Flex & Expedition, etc. Have the CUV's concentrate on comfort and the SUV's on utilty. Seems like a no brainer...

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/10/19/184301.html

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

After major revitalization to its Escape small crossover SUV last year, Ford could be forgiven for doing little or nothing to it for 2009. There are newer nameplates from the Blue Oval to steal the limelight, and business in general has been interesting, and not in the best of possible ways.

Added: Yes, I'll grant you it looks like an SUV, I have an Escape myself, BUT it sure as hell doesn't ride like a Body on Frame, it rides like a car. And I've written that Ford quietly calls it a CUV, but It was always called their first crossover.

Edited by Critic

Maybe the Escape stays with SUVs because its arrival predates the CUV and crossover categories

It's marketing.

The Escape has kept its mini-SUV-like styling to appeal to those that want something that looks like an SUV that doesn't drink gas.

I hope the Escape stays where it is and shares styling cues with the Explorer and Expedition.

There's room beneath the Edge for a small crossover.

...Connect WILL appeal to Surfers, Bikers, Campers and Hikers.....

I disagree.

Those people will compare it to a Honda Element, and buy the Element, even though the Element has much less cargo room it is much more "refined". Fuel economy is similar, but at least the engine on the Element won't be screaming when your driving 70 mph. The Element even has 4WD for those that want it.

With the 4 cylinder powertrain out of the 2010 Fusion, the Connect would kick the Elements butt !

I disagree.

Those people will compare it to a Honda Element, and buy the Element, even though the Element has much less cargo room it is much more "refined". Fuel economy is similar, but at least the engine on the Element won't be screaming when your driving 70 mph. The Element even has 4WD for those that want it.

With the 4 cylinder powertrain out of the 2010 Fusion, the Connect would kick the Elements butt !

already have a couple of "retail" orders in, the word used was "cool"....one guy is a lonboarder and liked the fact that he couldn't trash the interior....yes, the drivetrain may be considered a weak point but, many will overlook that....I will be interested to test drive at 70, funny, when all we had were 4 speed autos were all cars considered "screamers"?????....agreed, 6 speed, 2.5 AWESOME! And for the Nicks out there...don't like its looks, check out the new Element...eeeek!

Edited by Deanh

I really don't think we need the Edge, Escape and Kuga. They're slight variations of the same type of vehicle, and I think we have our bases covered there

I agree wholeheartedly. The Escape IS a crossover and there is no need for two little crossovers. I could see the Escape lose weight and a bit of size in the next re-style to separate it more from the Edge.

I agree wholeheartedly. The Escape IS a crossover and there is no need for two little crossovers. I could see the Escape lose weight and a bit of size in the next re-style to separate it more from the Edge.

Kuga IS the Escapes eventual replacement......

?....ok, whats the excuse for the Connect remark...someone spike your Quesadilla?.........Connect is a no brainer, LCF was 10 years late to the Isuzu party with an inferior engine that mirrored the 6.0 problems...and now its been dis-continued....the Connect has ZERO competioion...ZERO...we have 20 Connects coming, and interest is EXTREMELY high.....AND there will be a few recreational buyers rather than just Commercial...MARK those words....

Wanna bet? Once the three florists that have heard of it buy it, the rest will rot. I don't know what kind of head case surfer you talked to, but he ain't gonna be enough to keep this thing alive. They may be big in Europe, but this ain't Europe. The interior looks like crap, and already you admit the drivetrain is shit. That leaves the exterior, and we all know how that looks. That leaves it with the functional aspect, and frankly there are other cars that offer comparable utility that don't look and feel like shit. Now I haven't driven one myself, so don't jump on me, but going by what I've read and seen, it's crap. Even those supporting it here are saying it will be better after a redesign... :redcard: The car's a year away and needs a redesign? What is it, a Camaro?

I am willing to bet you, Dean that the Transit fails horribly. I will put up my sig line as the ante...

Your call. :shades:

Wanna bet? Once the three florists that have heard of it buy it, the rest will rot. I don't know what kind of head case surfer you talked to, but he ain't gonna be enough to keep this thing alive. They may be big in Europe, but this ain't Europe. The interior looks like crap, and already you admit the drivetrain is shit. That leaves the exterior, and we all know how that looks. That leaves it with the functional aspect, and frankly there are other cars that offer comparable utility that don't look and feel like shit. Now I haven't driven one myself, so don't jump on me, but going by what I've read and seen, it's crap. Even those supporting it here are saying it will be better after a redesign... :redcard: The car's a year away and needs a redesign? What is it, a Camaro?

I am willing to bet you, Dean that the Transit fails horribly. I will put up my sig line as the ante...

Your call. :shades:

crap huh....aside from the drivetrain i don't think so, and even the drivetrain may be ok....haven't driven THIS engine trans, just the diesel...and it ROCKED.,,,, as for the crap comment...heres some good info...What Van award 2007, International Van of the year 2003, ACFO Fleet Van of the year, Fleet news award winner 2007, Best security light van 2007 ( 5 YEARS running ) Best Light Van 2007 ( 6 YEARS running ) Van of the year 2002, and last but not least Most relaible Van 2007 ( tests involved 906,000 vehicles)...and tested to 150,000 miles....I have inquirys for ENTIRE lineup replacement from Car Parts store, a couple of "surfer" like DOODS...etc...I think you are underestimating the vehicle, but it may be a denmographic thing....we got 30 odd flower shops within a 10 mile radius, not just 3...LOL!

crap huh....aside from the drivetrain i don't think so, and even the drivetrain may be ok....haven't driven THIS engine trans, just the diesel...and it ROCKED.,,,, as for the crap comment...heres some good info...What Van award 2007, International Van of the year 2003, ACFO Fleet Van of the year, Fleet news award winner 2007, Best security light van 2007 ( 5 YEARS running ) Best Light Van 2007 ( 6 YEARS running ) Van of the year 2002, and last but not least Most relaible Van 2007 ( tests involved 906,000 vehicles)...and tested to 150,000 miles....I have inquirys for ENTIRE lineup replacement from Car Parts store, a couple of "surfer" like DOODS...etc...I think you are underestimating the vehicle, but it may be a denmographic thing....we got 30 odd flower shops within a 10 mile radius, not just 3...LOL!

Yeah, but can I get a list of the flower shops, too? Sheesh! :hysterical:

All those awards don't matter when as you put it: "this van has no competition." Of course it won best light van. It's the only light van, right? Also won these awards in Europe, where pastry chefs are ripping down every street to deliver fresh croissants. We like croissandwiches, and we like full sized cars to pull up to the drive thru window in, dammit!

Still waiting.... Call, or fold beeyotch!

Chief, just the fact that it pisses you off is good, because there will be people who feel the opposite. It makes a visual statement that some detest and some dig.

Me, I'm biased, but they're not selling the one I want, the short wheelbase regular roof panel sled.

With an RS powertrain, RevoKnuckle and 300 hp. Or RevoKnuckle and a 275 horse 4-cylinder. Add a 6-speed, and it sure delivers the pizza for me.

070103007.jpg

It's marketing.

The Escape has kept its mini-SUV-like styling to appeal to those that want something that looks like an SUV that doesn't drink gas.

I hope the Escape stays where it is and shares styling cues with the Explorer and Expedition.

There's room beneath the Edge for a small crossover.

I agree with this, I'm just not sure if it's cost-effective to do though.

TC's gonna be the BIGGEST lil' thing*** even tho...

I already have a couple of "retail" orders in, the word used was "cool"....one guy is a lonboarder and liked the fact that he couldn't trash the interior....yes, the drivetrain may be considered a weak point but, many will overlook that....

...even tho it won't have the shear brute power of:

vw_bus_updated.jpg

...oh wait

..agreed, 6 speed, 2.5 AWESOME!

& a waterfall grille :D

...Leather optional = TeeCo Ultimate

*** at most they need ONE good product placement - music video, movie, ...tv show would be harder