Mustang GT-370Z-Genesis 3.8 Coupe Comparo

Whereas the Mustang next to the Genesis resembles a bulldog rubbing shoulders with a Siamese cat, the Z and the Hyundai side by side seem, well, appropriate.

Hey. I have a Siamese cat and I resent any comparison between the Derivativesville Genesis Coupe and that particular breed of feline.....

Geesh, what a weak article. They chose the Mustang in the end, but tried to make every excuse they could to not pick it. :rolleyes:

they were probably worried that if the Ford PR's guys prediction was anti mustang thet they may never get a Ford vehicle to test again...I smell a watered down kiss up...

they were probably worried that if the Ford PR's guys prediction was anti mustang thet they may never get a Ford vehicle to test again...I smell a watered down kiss up...

What I smell is more "we didn't really want to pick a domestic because of

1. , but in the end we had to....because it's better."

Although Ford was afraid the Genesis Coupe would make the Mustang look like a chump, the Hyundai has instead turned the Blue Oval's ponycar into a champ. For being a scaredy cat, Ford now looks like the chump. Funny how things work out.

:hysterical:

Try this on for size you jackass:

Although Ford was understandably afraid that we'd continue with our relentless domestic bashing, the Hyundai was so bad that we couldn't come up with enough rationalizations to give it the nod. But that's not going to stop us from getting in one last dig against Ford. Why? Because we're jackasses!

Does the Mustang have an alloy hood?

Yup, but the SN95 hoods were composite, so probably not much weight-saving there anyway.

The slightest change of location of the wheels could account for the change from SN95 to S197 though. If I recall correctly, I believe the S197's front wheels are further forward than the SN95's.

Yup, but the SN95 hoods were composite, so probably not much weight-saving there anyway.

The slightest change of location of the wheels could account for the change from SN95 to S197 though. If I recall correctly, I believe the S197's front wheels are further forward than the SN95's.

really...a longer wheelbase? overhangs look somewhat shorter but that may just be the stling....if the cars are weighed WITH driver...perhaps he just had REALLY long legs....LOL!

They probibly lost the weight when they took the belt sander to the rear corners. Speaking of contriversial rear ends, did anyone else notice the similarities of the back of the Mustang and the new Taurus??

Yeah, and the creases on the sides of the car. Actually, I read an article, can't remember where, one of the Taurus designers said that were trying incorporate some of the Mustang into the new Taurus or something to the effect.

I don't see a problem with either rear end, they look nothing like anything else on the road.

Edited by 02MustangGT

Also, what gives with the author's assertion that the Nissan Z-cars were ever 'affordable'. This is the first generation about which that statement is remotely accurate. The Datsun Zs weren't cheap (at the time), and the Nissan 300ZXs were way more expensive than Mustangs.

The early '70s Zs were priced between the MGB and the Corvette - $3500 - $4000. They were about the same price as a loaded Mach 1 (and not much more than the lowly X1/9). That sounds pretty affordable, considering they had handling like Jags and Masers.

:hysterical:

Try this on for size you jackass:

They were pissed that Ford Marketing wouldn't let them do a head-to-head. You might've been, too, in the same situation, considering that the '10 is "the best Mustang ever."

The early '70s Zs were priced between the MGB and the Corvette - $3500 - $4000. They were about the same price as a loaded Mach 1 (and not much more than the lowly X1/9). That sounds pretty affordable, considering they had handling like Jags and Masers.

Fffft. Whenever you follow "affordable" with "considering" what you're saying is, "it's wasn't that affordable"

They were pissed that Ford Marketing wouldn't let them do a head-to-head. You might've been, too, in the same situation, considering that the '10 is "the best Mustang ever."

Frankly, they deserve to be jerked around by Ford. What have they done to merit any kind of favorable treatment by Ford? They've crapped on just about everything Ford has done for years.

Fffft. Whenever you follow "affordable" with "considering" what you're saying is, "it's wasn't that affordable"

In 1970, a Pinto was $2000. A Mustang 6 was around $2800. The Mach 1 was about $3200. The Boss 302 was over $3500. LTDs were near $4K. A Thunderbird would set you back $5K. Lincolns could be had over $6K. A (base - good luck getting one) $3500 Z that drove like $10,000 sports cars was affordable - and was touted that way by the magazines back then.

Do you consider the current Mustang GT to be affordable? Note that the base price is more than a well-equipped Fusion.

Frankly, they deserve to be jerked around by Ford. What have they done to merit any kind of favorable treatment by Ford? They've crapped on just about everything Ford has done for years.

We're talking about a magazine that reviews cars for the general public. They aren't supposed to be trying to get favorable treatment. Otherwise, they'd be guilty of the bias you are implying they have.

In a marketing department, it's natural that you'd only want favorable reviews from a magazine, but jerk them around and that's going to be less likely. Reviewers are just normal people with normal egos, after all. Luckily, they only rag on Ford's PR people in the article. They only have good things to say about the Mustang.

BTW, in the April issue, Ford only has a 1-page ad for the F150, while Hyundai has a 2-page spread for the Genesis Coupe. Make of that what you will. ;)

Edited by syrtran

In 1970, a Pinto was $2000. A Mustang 6 was around $2800. The Mach 1 was about $3200. The Boss 302 was over $3500. LTDs were near $4K. A Thunderbird would set you back $5K. Lincolns could be had over $6K. A (base - good luck getting one) $3500 Z that drove like $10,000 sports cars was affordable - and was touted that way by the magazines back then.

Do you consider the current Mustang GT to be affordable? Note that the base price is more than a well-equipped Fusion.

We're talking about a magazine that reviews cars for the general public. They aren't supposed to be trying to get favorable treatment. Otherwise, they'd be guilty of the bias you are implying they have.

In a marketing department, it's natural that you'd only want favorable reviews from a magazine, but jerk them around and that's going to be less likely. Reviewers are just normal people with normal egos, after all. Luckily, they only rag on Ford's PR people in the article. They only have good things to say about the Mustang.

BTW, in the April issue, Ford only has a 1-page ad for the F150, while Hyundai has a 2-page spread for the Genesis Coupe. Make of that what you will. ;)

1) How much was the Mustang V8?

2) Actually, we're talking about a magazine that extorts advertising commitments in return for favorable editorial treatment (COTY award). Some magazines may be unbiased and genuinely interested in providing an objective and common sense review of cars, but Motor Trend is certainly not one of them.

Also, I've never seen a car company allow its 'exclusive first test' to be a comparison test.

3) It's been my experience that reviewers are not people with normal egos.