Coupe based on Taurus SHO

I was just playing around with Microsoft Paint (I don't have Photo Shop to do a cleaner version) , trying to see how the Taurus would look if they made a coupe out of it. It would never happen since there doesn't seem to be a market anymore for a larger, more luxurious performance coupe like there was thru the end of the 90s, but I kind of like the result. I used the 1968/69 Torino for a little inspiration on the side profile, but to some extent, the new Taurus's nose could be a modern interpretation of the Torinos from 1972 thru the end of their run.

I would have liked to do a little more tweaking to the overall look, but you're pretty limited when you use Paint.

post-16338-1237742148_thumb.jpg

Edited by MTFordFan

Torino?

This is the car I was using for some of my inspiration

2164602710011405415zHXhQV_th.jpg

This is a 1968 Torino, my father had a '69 back in the 70s. I'd love to get ahold of one some day to restore, show people that Chevelles and GTOs,etc weren't the only muscle cars of that era.

I kinda cringed when I saw the tiltle of the tread, but I'll tell you what... I really like it.

Great job! I like the roofline and the stretched door. Overall the car flows nicely. I think the fastback lines match the "ducktail" rear end nicely as well. :beerchug:

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I wasn't sure how it would turn out either, but was pleasantly surprised by the result. I'd still like to do a little more with it, but that will have to wait until I get Photo Shop or something similar. I love some of the more advanced renderings that guys like timmm55 have been doing.

This is the car I was using for some of my inspiration

2164602710011405415zHXhQV_th.jpg

This is a 1968 Torino, my father had a '69 back in the 70s. I'd love to get ahold of one some day to restore, show people that Chevelles and GTOs,etc weren't the only muscle cars of that era.

That is almost identical to my first car if it was flat black primer with the stock GT wheels and a completely rusted out floor and frame rails. :hysterical:

I was just playing around with Microsoft Paint (I don't have Photo Shop to do a cleaner version) , trying to see how the Taurus would look if they made a coupe out of it. It would never happen since there doesn't seem to be a market anymore for a larger, more luxurious performance coupe like there was thru the end of the 90s, but I kind of like the result. I used the 1968/69 Torino for a little inspiration on the side profile, but to some extent, the new Taurus's nose could be a modern interpretation of the Torinos from 1972 thru the end of their run.

I would have liked to do a little more tweaking to the overall look, but you're pretty limited when you use Paint.

Could new Cougar or Tbird.

Hope it's OK, I took it a bit further and smoothed out the roof line, gave the rear quarter some shape and added a Torino "inspired" stripe.

Obviously I like the idea (see my Marauder)!

Eh, I think the stripe makes it a bit too busy looking, at least for my liking.

Hope it's OK, I took it a bit further and smoothed out the roof line, gave the rear quarter some shape and added a Torino "inspired" stripe.

Obviously I like the idea (see my Marauder)!

That's more like what I originally had in mind when I started, but couldn't get to fully translate.

I didn't like the stripe much at first, but it's growing on me a little, might just need the right color combo to make it look right. I think the main issue is on the 68/69 Torino, the C-stripe has more room to form, going all the way tothefront of the fenders while this version is using the fender vent as its termination point. But, the style of headlights the Taurus has prevents that from really being remedied.

Edited by MTFordFan

Congrat's on such an interesting 2-door concept and thanks for resurrecting the Torino nameplate! Personally, as impressed as I am with what Ford's doing with the design and quality of the all-new 2010 Fusion and all-new 2010 Taurus & Taurus SHO, I've never liked or needed a 4-door vehicle. I had a 1971 Torino 2-Door I bought new and drove until I traded it in for a 1974 Mercury Cougar XR-7, then a 1976 Cougar XR-7. I started working for my Dealer in 1986 and drove Mustangs and Thunderbirds for my company "Demo" for years until going back to Mustangs again after the demise of the "personal luxury" Thunderbirds in 1997. I have liitle if any need for a 4-door vehicle and have felt for years that Ford should offer more 2-door models. If I had to buy a vehicle today the only 2-door model Ford's to choose from are a Mustang or Focus.

Thanks again for sharing your Torino concept!

That's more like what I originally had in mind when I started, but couldn't get to fully translate.

I didn't like the stripe much at first, but it's growing on me a little, might just need the right color combo to make it look right. I think the main issue is on the 68/69 Torino, the C-stripe has more room to form, going all the way tothefront of the fenders while this version is using the fender vent as its termination point. But, the style of headlights the Taurus has prevents that from really being remedied.

Yeah there just enough room to do a stripe like they did in '68. Another try!

post-19198-1238371388_thumb.jpg

I have so missed midsize coupes! This looks very interesting. Back in the 90s, I had hoped that Ford would base the T-Bird off of the Taurus since the 89-97 T-Bird was so heavy and not as quick as the SHO. I really like the idea of ressurecting the Torino name, although since Mercury will be dropping the Sable, a new Cougar would be cool. Ford needs to build this car in some form. I'd buy one.