Ford CVPI gets high marks in testing

Both topics are in the same mag. One tester said it's the best CV he's driven to date. Another says the Crown Vic is forgiving of driver error. A Ford print ad in the mag states the virtues of the CVPI: "With body on frame construction, 75 MPH rear end crash testing, five star crash test rating and available factory installed ballistic door panels, etc." Doesn't sound to me like the Crown Vic is being discontinued anytime soon.

Both topics are in the same mag. One tester said it's the best CV he's driven to date. Another says the Crown Vic is forgiving of driver error. A Ford print ad in the mag states the virtues of the CVPI: "With body on frame construction, 75 MPH rear end crash testing, five star crash test rating and available factory installed ballistic door panels, etc." Doesn't sound to me like the Crown Vic is being discontinued anytime soon.

The best built sedan platform that no one knows about. :banghead:

Edited by Armada Master

Ford doesn't care about it anymore because their retail customer base doesn't.

The retail customer kept caring about it along time after Ford quit, longer than anyone would have expected, same goes for the Ranger.

I saw a NYS Trooper in a new Crown Vic and it had a neat little additional tag on the rear valence panel opposite the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" badge....it was sporting a "FLEX FUEL" badge with the eco-leaf. Hmmmmm. So much for no new investment to the platform.

Yeeeah...big whoop since at the same time they discontinued with the CNG Crown Vic which instead should have really been getting pushed for increased use in the era of $3.00 gas and the environazi crackdown on taxi choices.

2010 is the last year for the CVPI for sure...Unibody with EcoBoost is on the way. A positive note regarding sales, P71's built-out a little early for '09's - I have a feeling some folks are smelling death in the "Hemi Precinct!"

2010 is the last year for the CVPI for sure...Unibody with EcoBoost is on the way. A positive note regarding sales, P71's built-out a little early for '09's - I have a feeling some folks are smelling death in the "Hemi Precinct!"

Re: bolded part. As in a new sedan/Crown Vic?

Mulally put the GRWD platform on hold this time last year but Farley had this to say in January:

LINK(cached)

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. wants to save its police-car business, which in strong economic times accounts for annual sales of about 65,000 Ford Crown Victorias.

The likely solution is a front-drive, unibody vehicle platform with all-wheel-drive adaptability, said Jim Farley, group vice president of marketing and communications. Several vehicles are under review, but he would not say whether the re-engineered, re-styled Taurus is one of them.

"The next five years will be a very important transition technically for the [police] pursuit business and limo livery," Farley said last week at a private Ford dinner.

The Crown Victoria will be dropped in 2011, as will two sibling rear-drive, body-on-frame models, the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car. The Crown Victoria is the most popular police car.

Regarding police vehicles used for high-speed pursuit, Farley said he sees a transition from "the legacy products" to awd or fwd unibody vehicles in the long term, and possibly unibody rwd crossovers as an interim solution.

Farley said Ford must maintain its presence in the ambulance, fire truck and police car business: "These days you really can't afford to walk away from a loyal customer base who loves your product."

Edited by jpd80

My next car purchase will be in 2011 - obviously 2011 is the last year for the Panther. After that, nothing but stuff I can buy at pretty much any dealer in town - the badge on the hood will matter little at that point, so I'll shop accordingly.

Ford is surviving only because of GM and Chrysler's gross ineptitude, not because of any inherent ability.

Ford is surviving only because of GM and Chrysler's gross ineptitude, not because of any inherent ability.

:huh: WHAT??

They are surviving because of the changes they have implemented over the past several years. The fates of GM and Chrysler have little to do with it. Ford is now building vehicles retail customers actually want to buy. They have increased retail market share 5 of the past 6 months, and that trend shows no sign of slowing.

Ford is exceeding in spite of GM and Chrysler, not because of them.

Edited by NickF1011

Mercedes-Benz GLK? Outgoing Cadillac SRX?

I think he's referring to next year's coming Explorer. It'll (theoretically, according to that article/Farley) be a bridge between the CV and whatever becomes the new police car, I guess.

On a side note, I saw an Expedition and Flex (undercover) police units at the place where I went lunch today. I parked next to the Flex in mine.

I think the factory installed ballistic panels are absolutely the coolest part of the Interceptor. Imagine how much safer an officer feels knowing he has that feature. I first noticed the ballistic door panels while watching "Southland". I wasn't sure if it was Hollywood or reality.

The CV has pretty much turned into a purpose built police car. I wouldn't drive anything else if i were an officer.

I think he's referring to next year's coming Explorer. It'll (theoretically, according to that article/Farley) be a bridge between the CV and whatever becomes the new police car, I guess.

On a side note, I saw an Expedition and Flex (undercover) police units at the place where I went lunch today. I parked next to the Flex in mine.

You saw a Flex Police unit? Awesome, I had a feeling the Flex would have the best chance at replacing the CV. Any pics out there? I recently put a 1000 miles on an 09 Flex and found it to be a great long distance hauler. But for police duty, only an EcoBoost six will do. Not so much for the extra power, but the more powerful transmission... in my opinion.

I think the factory installed ballistic panels are absolutely the coolest part of the Interceptor. Imagine how much safer an officer feels knowing he has that feature. I first noticed the ballistic door panels while watching "Southland". I wasn't sure if it was Hollywood or reality.

The CV has pretty much turned into a purpose built police car. I wouldn't drive anything else if i were an officer.

You saw a Flex Police unit? Awesome, I had a feeling the Flex would have the best chance at replacing the CV. Any pics out there? I recently put a 1000 miles on an 09 Flex and found it to be a great long distance hauler. But for police duty, only an EcoBoost six will do. Not so much for the extra power, but the more powerful transmission... in my opinion.

Yeah I watched Southland too.....decent show, IMO.

----

And I'm pretty sure it was a police unit. It was an SEL. It (and the Expedition parked across from it) had been left running, and both had (very) dark tint, along with a couple extra antennas. Inside the place I ate, there were about 6-7 police officers. If I hadn't gotten my food to go, I would've probably seen them get into the cars to make sure (since they ordered before me). As I said, I parked next to the Flex in mine. I didn't really "snoop" around to further confirm it was a police vehicle, either. That would've looked wierd. I'm not thinking it's really used as a pursuit vehicle, as it surely wasn't an EcoBoost model, although I suppose it could be undercover pursuit? At the same time, being a Flex doesn't exactly help the "undercover" part of the equation, since you still don't see many around here, although that was the second one I'd seen today, aside from my own (obviously).

I saw a NYS Trooper in a new Crown Vic and it had a neat little additional tag on the rear valence panel opposite the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" badge....it was sporting a "FLEX FUEL" badge with the eco-leaf. Hmmmmm. So much for no new investment to the platform.

Yeeeah...big whoop since at the same time they discontinued with the CNG Crown Vic which instead should have really been getting pushed for increased use in the era of $3.00 gas and the environazi crackdown on taxi choices.

AM, a CNG Crown Victoria PI would not work since the CNG tank would take up too much room and then there would be the 75MPH rear crash test being compromised.