New Transit Test Drive

note to F250...actually synonomous with your screen name....PAYLOAD, racks and bins UPFITS, double sling doors, 5 feet of potential cargo height, 6feet in length, 5 ft wide,...pizza delivery etc aren't what the main focus is at all, florists perhaps, caterers, UPS, Fed Ex, auto parts stores ( payload can handle an engine no problems )....electricians, plumbers....etc etc....for when a FULL size van isn't necessary...beauty is this IS designed from a commercial standpoint FIRST,,,NOT a daily driving hip transient poseur mobile....I have one company that once the Aerostar Cargo van was nixed, changed to HHRS...they want to replace their ENTIRE fleet, the HHRS just don't handle the abuse....the connect has a proven track record with over 600000 already sold worldwide, and is certified to FORDS stringent Light duty Commercial vehicle durability standards....tested to 150,000 customer equivilent miles.....Scion, HHR and PT cannot claim the same or even close....

YOU offered those vehicles for comparison to the TC.

How big do you think the market is for the Transit Connect? How many of these things do you already have orders for? I mean since Ford will be offering a vehicle that has no direct competition in this country what do you project the annual sales to be?

Well, at least it's an existing vehicle and Ford hasn't spent much money adapting it for the American market.

Edited by F250

oh, and theres about 3500 difference base to base....

Scion XB base list price is $15,750

According to the atricle on the Transit Connect "The window-free, manual-lock XL van version starts at $21,475"

Did I mention all Scions have power windows and locks?

Maybe I should have just said it this way to begin with: I think Ford priced the Transit Connect too high. The base model should sticker for no more than $18,000.

Edited by F250

PT Cruiser: Discontinued. I guess "all those companies" didn't amount to enough sales to keep it in production.

Scion (XB I presume) MSRP over $5000 LESS then the Transit Connect and (deserved or not) an established Toyota quality reputation more horsepower, more torque, better fuel economy, available 5-speed trans, etc, ect...

Chevy HHR: a little more expensive but same stats, more HP and torque while returning better gas mileage.

If you are thinking these little pizza delivery or florist business are going to snap up a ton of Transit Connects you had better watch the Nissan Cube which sells for only $13,990 or the Kia Soul for $13,300 both of which...you guessed it...get better mileage than the TC.

Apples and oranges. The Transit Connect's dimensions are, in inches (length * width * height), 179.3 * 80.5 * 78.0.

None of the cars that you cited are as large:

Scion XB: 167.3 * 69.3 * 64.7

Chevrolet HHR: 176.2 * 69.1 * 63.2

Nissan Cube: 156.7 * 66.7 * 65.0

Kia Soul: 161.6 * 70.3 * 63.4

They're not the same class of vehicles. That means that you can't simply compare their prices and fuel efficiency. It would not be as misleading as comparing a Nissan Cube to a Flex, but it would still be misleading. (Incidentally, all of these numbers are taken from Wikipedia, and the Transit Connect's numbers are presumably European spec. The tentative US specs appeared to indicate an even larger vehicle -- Transit Connect Web page says 180.7 * 79.3 * 84.)

Edited by nelsonlu

theres a reason the Ranger has huge rebates...Connect will not unless it fails to sell ( get the drift? )

Yeah, I understand, I'm just saying you're not likely to pay sticker.......I'd assume whoever is buying TCs will generally buy a few of them at a time, and I'd guess that there'd be some kind of discount? I dunno...

How big do you think the market is for the Transit Connect? ...

Now that is the proverbial "$64,000 question !"

Honda always thought the Element would slot into "the younger generation" and light delivery. The reality is the average owner is much older and they have not sold too many into the delivery market due to payload limitations.

Ford is starting with a capable small delivery van. It could have made the cross-over to small family van if it had a powertrain capable of 30 mpg on the highway and a 2000 lb towing capacity.

Only time will tell if this "experiment" will be successful. If Ford follows quickly (1-2 years) with a diesel (something the Element owners have been clamoring for for years) and/or an EcoBoost version of that engine with a 6 speed transmission, it will be a winner.

P.S. Honda wanted to discontinue the Element (which I think is only sold in the US), but demand has stayed constant with little changes over the years.

Honda always thought the Element would slot into "the younger generation" and light delivery. The reality is the average owner is much older and they have not sold too many into the delivery market due to payload limitations.

Ford is starting with a capable small delivery van. It could have made the cross-over to small family van if it had a powertrain capable of 30 mpg on the highway and a 2000 lb towing capacity.

Only time will tell if this "experiment" will be successful. If Ford follows quickly (1-2 years) with a diesel (something the Element owners have been clamoring for for years) and/or an EcoBoost version of that engine with a 6 speed transmission, it will be a winner.

P.S. Honda wanted to discontinue the Element (which I think is only sold in the US), but demand has stayed constant with little changes over the years.

I looked at the Element. It is not selling to "the young generation" because it is too expensive, has bad fuel efficiency and I don't even think you could even fit a bike in the back. They are trying to copy the Scion, but got very poor results.

Well doesn't seem like Ford has high expectations for it...I thought I saw/read they are only looking at 20K Transit Connects coming into the USA. I guess they are expecting it to be profitable in those numbers also.

Another thing, I'd assume that the Tranist Connect won't get updated again till after the new Focus launches..it just got an update this year (for the US market partly I'm assuming) and it would make too much sense not to update it to be on the new Focus platform and thus be built at MAP or LAP when they get tooled up.

I dont' really see the same people shopping for an Element, Scion Xb, Kia Soulless to be cross-shopping a Transit though. I really think it's just hardcore livery van and then depending how well that does then Ford will probably (at a later time) offer/soften/refine the vehicle for more personal use. I mean, for one the Transit will probably cost a bit around $20K, and some of these previously mentioned competitors start a bit lower than that and have much different roles. I see the Element/Xb and Soulless as people who are trying to project a certain image or lifestyle while the Transit is allowing them to WORK to maintain A lifestyle...

Scion XB base list price is $15,750

According to the atricle on the Transit Connect "The window-free, manual-lock XL van version starts at $21,475"

Did I mention all Scions have power windows and locks?

Maybe I should have just said it this way to begin with: I think Ford priced the Transit Connect too high. The base model should sticker for no more than $18,000.

17370 with DESTINATION AND DELIVERY on an auto matic...for that you get four doors no slider, no payloud and a completely different vehicle entirely...then agian, aopparently in your eyes the buyers of an F250 cross shop a Ranger...ahem. Perhaps you may think its too high...maybe you are right...but there is ZERO comparison and will probably be incentives, in which case it may come close.....

I dont' really see the same people shopping for an Element, Scion Xb, Kia Soulless to be cross-shopping a Transit though....

The Element has attracted a lot of "outdoor/camping" folks as well as older people who are looking for something to do some light hauling (a couple of shrubs and 10 bags of mulch from the nursery or small couch) without having to buy a pickup or full sized van. Scion Xb is a different crowd.

I have an 1998 E150 that I would love to replace it with something a lot smaller, but still capable of towing at least 2,000 lbs (3.500 would be better). Flex is too big, Edge does not have enough floor to roof height. And I want to be able to get 30+ mpg on the highway (when empty). 4 cylinder Escape comes pretty close !

Maybe the next gen Element (if there is one) or next gen Transit Connect (if there is one).

17370 with DESTINATION AND DELIVERY on an auto matic...for that you get four doors no slider, no payloud and a completely different vehicle entirely...then agian, aopparently in your eyes the buyers of an F250 cross shop a Ranger...ahem. Perhaps you may think its too high...maybe you are right...but there is ZERO comparison and will probably be incentives, in which case it may come close.....

Ok again, YOU brought the Scion into this Transit Connect discussion. Remember...

and all those companys that have been utilizing PT Cruisers, HHRs and Scions as delivery vehicles now have a much better alternative with an actual payload...

YOU called the Transit Connect an alternative to all those Scion delivery vehicles.

I was simply comparing base price vs base price. The Scion has a standard 5-speed manual trans which is not available in the TC at any price. You want to add the auto trans to the price of the Scion to close the gap a little...ok then use the upgraded XLT Transit Connect since it has power windows and locks, CD etc like the Scion.

Your Enthusiasm for the Transit Connect is remarkable, therefore your dealership will be sent 500 of them...good selling! :D

Well doesn't seem like Ford has high expectations for it...I thought I saw/read they are only looking at 20K Transit Connects coming into the USA. I guess they are expecting it to be profitable in those numbers also.

Another thing, I'd assume that the Tranist Connect won't get updated again till after the new Focus launches..it just got an update this year (for the US market partly I'm assuming) and it would make too much sense not to update it to be on the new Focus platform and thus be built at MAP or LAP when they get tooled up.

That's all they're gonna send here for now.

IIRC, I think the TC is supposed to be built here in the US in a few years, coinciding (sp?) with it's redesign, I think.

Nobody has mentioned this, but there already are quite a few small delivery vans in use every day. You know, those Grumman vehicles the USPS uses. I have even seen a few used by other companies - not many, but a few. That is the closest competition that I see for the Transit Connect. Until the Transit Connect hits the sales floor there is nothing for small to midsize businesses in that range. For these users, low power is often desired, and what counts are payload, durability, longevity, and low cost of ownership.

Could Ford also be looking to pick up a contract to supply a small delivery vehicle to the USPS aslo?

Ok again, YOU brought the Scion into this Transit Connect discussion. Remember...

YOU called the Transit Connect an alternative to all those Scion delivery vehicles.

I was simply comparing base price vs base price. The Scion has a standard 5-speed manual trans which is not available in the TC at any price. You want to add the auto trans to the price of the Scion to close the gap a little...ok then use the upgraded XLT Transit Connect since it has power windows and locks, CD etc like the Scion.

Your Enthusiasm for the Transit Connect is remarkable, therefore your dealership will be sent 500 of them...good selling! :D

we have one of the biggest allocations in So Cal...based on Econoline volume...the interest is EXCELLENT...most with Econolines don't utilize all of the room, and in THAT application the TC is perfect...yes i brought theScion into the mix, because until NOW people have had to compromise in regards to payloads etc...think thats pretty obvious, one company in particular has been using HHRS which in the words of the customer are woefully inadequate.

Nobody has mentioned this, but there already are quite a few small delivery vans in use every day. You know, those Grumman vehicles the USPS uses. I have even seen a few used by other companies - not many, but a few. That is the closest competition that I see for the Transit Connect. Until the Transit Connect hits the sales floor there is nothing for small to midsize businesses in that range. For these users, low power is often desired, and what counts are payload, durability, longevity, and low cost of ownership.

Could Ford also be looking to pick up a contract to supply a small delivery vehicle to the USPS aslo?

You know, I'm wondering how much these little mail trucks are:

800px-USPS-Mail-Truck.jpg

I'm thinking we could see some USPS TCs running around:

tcmail.jpg

You know, I'm wondering how much these little mail trucks are:

800px-USPS-Mail-Truck.jpg

I'm thinking we could see some USPS TCs running around:

tcmail.jpg

For that matter, they could even ship over RHD TC's over since the mail trucks are like that.

Edited by rmc523

For that matter, they could even ship over RHD TC's over since the mail trucks are like that.

I have seen several RHD Subarus here that are used for Rural Delivery. There must be some kind of special order available. It would meke some sense for Ford to do that with the Transit Connect. They could sell a super stripped down version for the USPS.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

I have seen several RHD Subarus here that are used for Rural Delivery. There must be some kind of special order available. It would meke some sense for Ford to do that with the Transit Connect. They could sell a super stripped down version for the USPS.

Exactly.....I found this online:

SO04WZD-1.JPG

That's probably more similar to those little USPS trucks they have now.