2011 Chevrolet Viva caught at the 'Ring

TomServo92

I don't know for some reason Viva reminds me of Vega and that can't be a good thing.

I love how GM scraps model names after each generation. Way to build brand equity!

Metro - Aveo - Viva

Cavalier - Cobalt - Cruze

Tracker - Equinox

Blazer-TrailBlazer - x (Traverse, if in spirit?)

Lumina - Malibu

Lumina APV - Venture - Uplander

S10 - Colorado

Sonoma - Canyon

Transport - Montanta - Montana SV6 - SV6 (right?)

Grand Am - G6

Sunbird - Sunfire - G5

Century - LaCrosse

Regal - Lucerne

Terazza - Enclave

-or-

Ranier - Enclave

-or-

Rendezvous - Enclave

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I love how GM scraps model names after each generation. Way to build brand equity!

Well, when you build a bad product that doesn't turn your company or brand's fortune around, I guess it makes sense to move on to something new. The Blazer name had some good history associated with it, but for the most part every other model you mentioned was a good example of why GM is bankrupt today--uncompetitive with import brands. I wouldn't call it an Aveo, but the blatant ripoff of another Spanish name to compete head to head with the much-praised Fiesta is over the top. Then again GM thought the rear-engined Corvair could take on the VW Beetle just because they put the engine in the back. Another in a long line of poor business decisions, this time financed not while risking publicly traded stock, but by the taxes we all get to pay. I feel for the dealers trying to sell Chrysler's and GM's, those that will survive, because the American public didn't support the auto bailout in the first place, and I'm sure the attitude will only continue to dwindle as billions more get dumped into this pit.

As far as this car goes, the exterior doesn't seem too bad. That instrument panel though, wow it's grotesque. Glad to see GM always has another "import fighter" at the ready.

That brings up an interesting point. GM's b-car carries a Spanish name in much the same way as Ford's. Is GM being a bit of a copycat?

GM used the Viva name before Ford used the Fiesta name, my Father-in-Law taught me to drive in a 1965 the early GM Vauxhall Viva which they introduced in 1963 the Fiesta was first released in the mid 70's it was FOE first FWD car here.

GM used the Viva name before Ford used the Fiesta name, my Father-in-Law taught me to drive in a 1965 the early GM Vauxhall Viva which they introduced in 1963 the Fiesta was first released in the mid 70's it was FOE first FWD car here.

I looked it up. The last Viva was made 30 years ago. I still believe it's a copycat move that they reintroduce a little know name that closely resembles the much acclaimed Fiesta. It reeks of "me-too".

Again, GM likes to copy Ford, let's hope this time around Ford can bring its product out to market before GM...

To add... I think the name is proper... "Viva" = "Live"..Which is what is the current situation at GM, they need to LIVE....

Ford "Fiesta" = "Party", which is what Ford is probably doing now that GM is crashing and eating it's new customers up.

So yes, GM need to live, and Ford needs to Party.

Maybe Chevy's next Malibu will be renamed "Miracle"

Again, GM likes to copy Ford, let's hope this time around Ford can bring its product out to market before GM...

To add... I think the name is proper... "Viva" = "Live"..Which is what is the current situation at GM, they need to LIVE....

Ford "Fiesta" = "Party", which is what Ford is probably doing now that GM is crashing and eating it's new customers up.

I can't wait for the Chevrolet Bailout, the Buick Last Ditch Effort, and the Cadillac Hail Mary!

Classic :hysterical:

Metro and Aveo do not have any 'brand equity'. Some names were better to be scrapped, such as Vega, Citation, Chevette, Cavalier, Sunfire, Century [may as well call it Adult Diaper].

I think that Metro has plenty of equity as a small, efficient vehicle. "Geo" is the part of the name that has nothing going for it perception wise.

I'm not saying that they should have kept all the old names, but replacing crap product with more crap product and a fancy new name doesn't accomplish anything. People see through it.