Ford shows off Wall St. savvy

Gotta say General Motors are going to suffer a lot from now on from the stigma of being a bankrupt risky company to buy a car from even if they come out Chapter 11 a much smaller company in a more stable condition.

Ford will be the first port of call for any American buyer looking to buy a American car, General Motor in contrast even if they arrive in a fit state and a superb business plan will still be stuck with the same line-up of cars that helped them to accumulate $192 billions in debt nothing will change until General Motors change their bankrupt generating boring bland line-up of cars which are in 5-7 year production cycles, and up until now Fritz Henderson has not mentioned once that GM need to start making cars the buyer wants to buy. So l gotta say l don't hold out much hope that things will get better at GM.

General Motor look like they will be kicked out the Dow Jones 30 and get replaced by Apple a company that years ago if you had said to somebody owning Sony Walkman that Apple were going to take over the market and own it with a Classic I-Pod in the future they would have laughed at you, not to long ago Nokia & Motorola owned the mobile phone market Apple come from nowhere with the awesome I-Phone.

Apple focused on innovation, simple to use, jaw dropping products that people want to buy. Apples I-Phone might not have the greatest technology the camera is not that good but it supposed to be a phone not a spirit level, i-pod, games machine, mini movie player, internet browser, photo album or a GPS etc. But the whole phone just knocks you out is just jaw sooooooh droppingly good, easy to use and Apple demand ask get a premium price for the product that is just supposed to be a phone.

GM at the moment are the complete opposite to Apple they are slipping into bankruptcy debt laden to the tune of $192 billion are going to be a massive burden to the taxpayer whilst Apple are rising up the ladder with their range of products that knock you out not costing the US taxpayer a dime. One thing GM needs to do is change its product, the one thing Fritz never mentioned in sunshine spill.

Ford have changed and with exciting products like the Fiesta thats ditched dull for good, they are going find a lot of buyers will be giving up on Chrysler & GM for good. GM are an Epic fail with the same range of cars, GM will be back into Chapter 11 before you can say Volt sorry Jack Robinson until only Chevy is left until they learn "Its all about product" British Leyland had a 1001 cost cuts, a 1001 business plans but the product was crap.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

also ford seems to be offering something for everybody. take for example the fusion want a good gas burning mileage car , well take the newly vamped up four cylinder getting about 31 mpg, then if you want a green car well there,s the fusion hybrid which is capable of fifty one miles per. then of course if you want the power and fun to drive kind of car you have the fusion sport and 265 ponies to play around with . thats just the one linup of cars soon we will have the focus from england and an all electric version of the focus the list of new products go on and on with the introduction of the eco-boost family of engines who knows where ford may go. thank god bill ford had the intelligence to fire himself and look outside the automotive box and hire someone like mullaly who has had foresight and saw the road ahead.

GM was kicked out of the Dow but apple was not added. They added Travelers and Cisco.

Apple & Googles of this world are on the way up being considered as replacements in the Dow 30, GM are on the way down that was the point l was trying to make, there is a massive contrast of fortunes both are selling in a US meltdown.

One company makes the product the buyer wants and is no burden to the US taxpayer.

One company is debt laden to the tune of $192 billion, brand have been cut in half in the US, and soon will no longer sells a single car in Europe because they don't make the cars folk want, they are also a massive burden on the taxpayer

Apple focused on innovation, simple to use, jaw dropping products that people want to buy. Apples I-Phone might not have the greatest technology the camera is not that good but it supposed to be a phone not a spirit level, i-pod, games machine, mini movie player, internet browser, photo album or a GPS etc. But the whole phone just knocks you out is just jaw sooooooh droppingly good, easy to use and Apple demand ask get a premium price for the product that is just supposed to be a phone.

IMO Apple is still way overrated for what they've done...and this is coming from someone who has an iPhone and Macbook Pro

I too think Apple is overrated. Granted, I too have an iphone, and I think they have leap frogged the competition and set a standard to cell phones...but majority of software is designed to run on PC even my architectural programs, and I've already have numerous experiences with them crashing. Same with my iphone, I just KNOW when it's going to crash. And Im one to build my own PC, upgraded, replace DVD burners, etc and it's next to impossible on an Apple.

I get a kick out of the Apple store though...its 9pm at a mall on a friday night and you would think it's a night club with how packed the store is. And I just stand there looking around, wondering "WTF are these people doing here?" And its like a shrine to some. I just feel odd even just looking in but it's a cult for some. Just like Whole Foods...i'll go there and you have these happy peachy people you think are on some mushroom of how happy they are totting around there green bags while I get "the look" for asking for plastic. In fact, last time they gave me the look, I made sure I told them to DOUBLE BAG, the plastic :) With what I spend there, I dont think so...

Just read a review of the Pre today. They said, unfortunately, it ain't no iPhone.

Palm Pre review: LINK

The only thing the new iPhone has that I would want over the Pre is the better memory. Everything else is a software fix away from being far superior to the iPhone 3g, even with the supposed upgrades that will be announced the the WWDC next week.

I do have to admit, that if the iPhone was available on anything other than AT&T I probably would have had one when the 3g model came out. Their call quality sucks.

I do have to admit, that if the iPhone was available on anything other than AT&T I probably would have had one when the 3g model came out. Their call quality sucks.

Eh, I have a Blackberry Bold on AT&T 3G through work. It's okay, other than the glitches in the device itself, which hopefully will be patched soon.

My personal phone is an LG Rumor. Not bad, but the data speed sucks horribly as it's only 2G. Would be interested in checking out how fast the 4G Wi-Fi from Sprint is. Baltimore is one of the few markets they have upgraded for it already.

I have a Talk Talk landline which l can use 24 hours a day for free to other landlines in the UK it is packaged together with 8 GB unlimited broadband for £6.49 a month thats all l need. My wife was going to buy me an I-Phone for my birthday but l don't think l will bother now after reading some of the comments here, because l don't really need a mobile phone.

obviously, GM is so f**ked, no one even cares to talk about them.

very telling indeed.

Well, it's more a case of look what Ford has achieved and GM still has to get out of the chute.

Anyone hoping for a quick rinse GM that's ultra competitive with Ford is kidding themselves,

GM will be on bread and water for at least 12 to 18 months.

GM are still counting on that $40K Volt to resurrect their company,

Time for Ford to really gap these clueless clowns.

Edited by jpd80

Back to the topic at hand, if I may...

Well, in principle the Spark could be a decent Fiesta competitor and the Cruize/Orlando could face off pretty well against the Fiesta/C-Max. But I see several big hurdles for GM. One is build quality. Simply put, Ford has addressed it and GM hasn't yet. Another is product diversity. With the Transit Connect, Project M, range of Fiesta models, and various other rumored products (including the new Ranger), Ford is readying a blitz; GM does not seem to have anything like this kind of range in the works. Finally, there's the matter of corporate reputation. So far the bankruptcy talk has not clearly hurt GM sales that much, but I find it hard to believe that the drastic dealer cutbacks and taint of (very unpopular) government bailout won't steer a lot of customers toward Ford.

The big question: Will all of Ford's smart restructuring get them to the point where they can be profitable even if sales stay at 10-12 million a year for the next couple years? If not, all that savvy may not be a lot of help.

Edited by CPManx