Observations from the sticks.

Today, I had to take the beast to the Ford store. My battery was gassing, and it was bothering me (plus it looked icky). Thus, after dropping small son off at Summer Rec, and filling the tank, I headed on over to Ford, to see if they could look at it. I had no appointment.

I talk to Bobby (female service writer), told her what is going on, and that I have no appointment. The two service writers discuss what the techs are doing, and she said thay should be able to look at it in 30-45 minutes. I was pleased, and surprised, as I thought they would have me make an appointment.

Anyway, to the showroom I went. Never let a good "check out the vehicles" opportunity go by. Big John (my salesperson) was talking to some poor sap with an HHR. They are running trade-in numbers. The guy is disappointed, and Big John has to explain to him that trade-ins on GM's, at this time, are pretty low. It would seem that the banks are only willing to loan 80% of book on used Chryslers and GM's............... which makes it difficult for a dealership to take them in on trade. So, after discussing that he will need about $3000 down, the guy leaves.

Now, mind you, they currently have, on their lot................. 2 new F150's (one is sold today), 3 Superduties, 2 Foci, 1 2009 Fusion, 2 Escapes, 2 Flex, and 2 Edges. That is it.

So I ask him what is up with inventory. He laughs, and says, we are selling it (they are, plus selling what they are getting from other dealerships). He then went on to explain what is going on with the dealership. Steve Coury has 2 Ford stores (Payson and Cottonwood), and 1 multi GM store. He was unable to get floorplanning money, due to the fact that the 3 dealerships were tied together............... and NOONE wants to floorplan GM stores (or Chrysler stores). Thus, he had to split out the GM store. Now, he finally has his large floorplan "loan," and can restock.

Now for the fun of finding stock. He is getting F150's from stores in NV. He is getting 10 Foci from a store in Colorado................. but had to agree to take a Taurus X also. LOL (it was a better deal, than another store that wanted them to take a $50K MKX with the Foci). He is desperately trying to find Fusions, but noone will give them up. Mustangs are hopeless also. He does, currently, have new Taurus's on order.

He said that in this area, Chrysler is a much larger problem than GM, perception wise. They have dumped cars so much, that the value of the vehicles is crap. This is affecting the GM vehicles also, as the banks are worried that GM will do the same.

Last month, his store was profitable, for the first time in 4 months. They only need to sell appx 25 vehicles a month, to be profitable. They also outsell our huge Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Chevy/GMC/Pontiac dealer (most expensive corner in town). We know the Chrysler side is safe, but we don't know on the GM one yet.

Anyway, it was interesting to talk to him, and get his insights. You normally do not get the down and dirty, from a dealership................ as the large metro stores are so impersonal.

Oh yea............. I'm home with my new battery. No proration, and the paperwork will be delivered to me (I had to go to pick up small son for swimming lessons). Of course, one of the service writers is my next door neighbor. :)

I'm going to a meeting for the Operating Committee meeting for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Ford is a big sponsor and the head of the Pittsburgh Metro dealer group is on the committee. I should have a chance to get the local scoop from him tonight.

It should be interesting. I'm seeing lots of new F-150s and Super Duty trucks and many Flexes on the street.

The Flex is not big, here in rural AZ. In CA, you would think they were giving away free solar systems, and a latte, with the purchase of one............ they are everywhere.

It would be interesting to see what his observations are, as different parts of the country are so different, when it comes to auto sales.

New F150's are everywhere. AZ is a BIG truck state.

Your observations make me want to share a recent after hours visit to the local Ford dealer here in NW Georgia. Let me just say that if you are a lonely person and you want to interact with the general public all you need to do is go visit the local Ford lot after they are closed. I went down to specifically see how much inventory they had on hand and take a look at the new Fusions. It was like a company picnic since there were so many people there looking at the product. There had to be close 20 people walking around. Keep in mind this is not some mega-dealer in an overly large town.

I recently moved here from Texas and I used to go visit the Ford dealer back there after hours to get a bit of alone time but I now know I am going have to go somewhere else to go if I want to be alone.

The lot only had 1 Fusion in stock compared to a normal stock of about 10. It looked about 50% full compared to normal. I doubt Ford will be able to post good numbers on the Fusion front since it doesn't appear that they have enough product to keep up with demand. Much better than having more product than you need, I guess.

Things are definitely looking up for Ford.

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin, and you can't turn around without seeing a Fusion. It's pretty crazy actually. When I bought my car last year at the end of July, I didn't see too many Fusions on the road. Now, they're everywhere. I am starting to see quite a few 2010s crop up these days too.

In Northern California, the Fusion has been flying off the lots lately. The Escape has been strong as well. The Edge and Flex have some life too. In general, Ford is doing better in NorCal than at any point since I've been here. The only vehicle not really catching on around here is the F-150. I've seen maybe 10 since launch.

The Flex is not big, here in rural AZ. In CA, you would think they were giving away free solar systems, and a latte, with the purchase of one............ they are everywhere.

Only seen 2 on the road here in Stockton.

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin, and you can't turn around without seeing a Fusion.

Yep I've seen several here.

Most of the Ford dealer lots around here look about half full. I can't say the same for the GM/Chrysler dealers, especially the ginormous Chevy/Cadillac/Buick/Pontiac/GMC/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership down the road. They're parking cars in the field behind the dealership.

2010 Fusions and 2009 Escapes are "blowing peoples minds" with fuel economy numbers. 4 cylinder automatic, getting low-mid 30s in suburban driving. Owners coming from the same vehicle 2 or 3 years old are impressed with both the mileage and the performance.

Many are saying, "Who needs a hybrid with this kind of mileage !"

At the same time, I have heard one report of a 2010 Fusion Hybrid owner (first one off the dealers lot). Short trips (grocery store, drop off kids, etc) mileage in the upper 30s and long highway trips well over 40 mpg !

I live in Northeast WI and I have seen a couple '10 Fusions. (I saw one in a Target parking lot waaay back in April (?) and I had to over and look at it). I haven't seen ANY Flexes around here and I drive a lot.

But, there are LOTS of '08, '09 Fusions around. (I live in a town of 5000 people and there's at least 4 that I know of here alone---but none like mine!).

There is only 1 new car dealership in my town (it's Buick-Pontiac-GMC) and they try to act like a volume dealer---they have something like 80 new vehicles on the lot (in a town of 5000!!!). :headscratch: :headscratch: I don't think they are selling much.

I regularly drive right past our local Mega Dealer (Lamarque Ford) in Kenner. His lot is ALWAYS packed with cars. He tends to run his inventory heavy on the truck and SUV side. He hasn't had any problems keeping his regular and used car lot fully populated with vehicles. I must say, he has few fusions compared to the rest of the inventory, same with the escape. He's also the local volume dealer for the police/sherrif's departments in the parish/city and always seems to have a few of those coming and going. As long as he's alive, I don't think Ford has to worry about the local PDs going to something else.

I live in Kentucky and have noticed that the local Ford dealer here has drastically reduced their inventory over the past month or so. In April, they had a huge supply of vehicles, but now the lot actually looks pretty depleted. I suspect that a lot of potential buyers will have to either order or accept a vehicle traded from another dealer to find what they are looking for.

While slow at first, I am now seeing a lot of new F-150's, the vehicle that our particular dealer stocks probably more than any other. Trucks are still pretty strong in sales here.

I have not spoken to any of the sales staff here so I am just assuming the reduction in inventory reflects an increase in sales momentum.

Come to Michigan, and you'll see plenty of new Fords still sitting on dealer lots! Hell, pick up an Auto & RV book, Auto Trader etc... and see for yourself.

I wonder why... Nobody could afford a new car right now because of this state's economy. Even used car lots are chocked full of trade-ins. Bank repos, liquidation sales can't even cut the mustard. One significant reason is of the way this pile of shit is being run, with a stupid governor and gang in the state capital who truly don't care about the common person. Who in the hell would want to live here, work here, set up a business here? Shitty roads, dead deer carcasses, overgrown grass on highway medians. You name it, because pretty soon "The sticks" will be forever known as Michigan. Go up north and see how empty the traffic is, how many abandoned foreclosed houses and cabins are for sale. Everyone selling their wares just to get by. You want cheap deals on new vehicles, this is the place.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

I live in Northeast WI and I have seen a couple '10 Fusions. (I saw one in a Target parking lot waaay back in April (?) and I had to over and look at it). I haven't seen ANY Flexes around here and I drive a lot.

But, there are LOTS of '08, '09 Fusions around. (I live in a town of 5000 people and there's at least 4 that I know of here alone---but none like mine!).

There is only 1 new car dealership in my town (it's Buick-Pontiac-GMC) and they try to act like a volume dealer---they have something like 80 new vehicles on the lot (in a town of 5000!!!). :headscratch: :headscratch: I don't think they are selling much.

While our market is bigger (Payson is about 14K, and the marketing area is about 25K total), our local 6 brand dealership probably has over 100 cars/trucks on his lot. I can only imagine what his overhead is, on the busiest corner in town (where the 2 highways meet).

That is why I thought it was interesting that our Ford dealer can make a profit, on only 25 cars/trucks. They are on the outskirts of town, in a non fancy building, and have low inventory.

I'm going to a meeting for the Operating Committee meeting for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Ford is a big sponsor and the head of the Pittsburgh Metro dealer group is on the committee. I should have a chance to get the local scoop from him tonight.

It should be interesting. I'm seeing lots of new F-150s and Super Duty trucks and many Flexes on the street.

If you're seeing a redfire Limited then that's probably me. :)

In Northern California, the Fusion has been flying off the lots lately. The Escape has been strong as well. The Edge and Flex have some life too. In general, Ford is doing better in NorCal than at any point since I've been here. The only vehicle not really catching on around here is the F-150. I've seen maybe 10 since launch.

Here in DC, I'm seeing the Flex more and more frequently. Even saw one as a cab, as you can see in this picture:

Flex_Cab.bmp

The same day, I saw one as a company car. The driver says he likes it, but kind of hard to park in small city spaces (parking here in DC is terrible).

Edited by COOLDADDY

I'm in Newport News, VA on business travel and had some time after dinner to poke around the local Ford dealer. Ended up chatting with the sales guy about the business. I think it was Hall Ford. He indicated that fusions and F150s continue to fly off the lot. I'd say their inventory was on the low side. They claim to be the top Ford dealer in the area. Did check out the new Mustang and was blown away by the new interior. They had a fully loaded v6 in grabber blue with a stripe package and nice wheels. It had the HID lamps, full electronics package and black leather. It was really nice, I mean really nice. I would love a ford car with that Sync/NAV system. Unfortunately I started the tractor engine of a V6 and it lost it's appeal. Get the 3.5/3.7 in their ASAP.

The sales guy is very pleased with where ford is going. Says the 2010 Taurus will be there soon for training and demo.

Way up North, were the juice is cooked out, I had occasion to wander by the floor today, at a small, downtown legacy dealer. They had Fusion, a plethora of dusty Stangs, six Taurus, and four topped out F series in the room. Every single sales person that I had had contact with last year was gone, and the only person I recognized was the lady manning, (ladying?) the desk. Not the sales desk, the finance desk. The good news was the kid I talked to, as I wandered around with intent to leave, asked my name, and offered coffee. After he checked the 'puter, he was nice about it, and wondered if I knew who bought the roush.

I spent almost a half hour in there, and three walk-ins were working two Taurus, and one Fusion, and I enjoyed the entire experience.

Not sure if that counts as a green shoot, but at least I didn't want to exterminate it?

But even in big oil home country, there were no takers for new trucks. One guy was looking used F, and he was jawing the sales guy down even before he sat in it...?

Edited by JETSOLVER

Was at my dealership today....my salesman said that sales are awesome....Focus and Fusion are flying off the lots....they can't wait to get their hands on the new Taurus.....they had a decent selection of trucks and are moving them too......they have a Grabber Blue 2010 Mustang out front.