Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Cheve Caprice in US

richardmayo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Australian Zeta platform does indeed morph into a Chevrolet, it should be given a new moniker to better reflect the new direction that GM claims it is headed for. It also should be powered by a "high feature" V6 as base equipment.

Look forward, not backward GM..... :finger:

There...fixed my own posting.... :hysterical:

I think a good question is are they actually headed in a "new direction?"

You are right RMC.... :shades:

Edited by twintornados

This must have been in the works for a while... advertising material is already starting to leak out...

capricead.jpg

:hysterical:

Glad to see you were able to put your skills to good use!

Say, I hear GM's looking for an advertising/marketing director.... :hysterical:

Edited by rmc523

Chevy hasn't pulled out the Biscayne or Bel Air name and disgraced it yet.

Or to keep the "C" thing going I'm thinking Citation, Corsica or Celebrity.

If GM is running out of names how about one destined th appeal to the Olds faithful. Maybe Chevy Chase can do the voiceovers.

Fletch: As I pulled up to my imitation palatial apartment building, I noticed the familiar red OldsmoBuick of one Arnold J. Pants, Esquire, attorney to the former Mrs. Irwin M. Fletcher.

Call it something new, or call it Chevelle. Impala is NOT what this thing should be called. Calling it Caprice is almost as big a mistake as keeping GMC as a core brand...

Actually, you know what? This could work.

Dodge's new Charger is a 4-door sedan too, with the 2-door, short wheelbase Challenger based on the same platform.

The new Chevelle as a RWD sports sedan actually sounds kinda sexy.

Plus, not ALL orginal Chevelles were coupes, after all...

What I also find interesting is that Buick NA is not getting a version of this car. I think it adds to my argument of GM wanting the police/livery market back but also displays it's lack of faith in Buick NA continued existence since Buick should have vanished with Pontiac.

AM,

The reason why Buick survived and Pontiac did not is simple....Buick is huge in China....that market is the new battle ground.

What I also find interesting is that Buick NA is not getting a version of this car. I think it adds to my argument of GM wanting the police/livery market back but also displays it's lack of faith in Buick NA continued existence since Buick should have vanished with Pontiac.

They cost too much for police/livery to bother. At the limited quantities they are able to import from Australia, it would be a waste to use them to chase after the fleet market. These are going to be intended for retail, just as the G8 was.

AM,

The reason why Buick survived and Pontiac did not is simple....Buick is huge in China....that market is the new battle ground.

They could have kept Buick China while retiring Buick NA.

They cost too much for police/livery to bother. At the limited quantities they are able to import from Australia, it would be a waste to use them to chase after the fleet market. These are going to be intended for retail, just as the G8 was.

I can appreciate your thinking on that but what if they decided to crank them out here instead? Say out of the Camaro plant perhaps?

Edited by Armada Master

They could have kept Buick China while retiring Buick NA.

I can appreciate your thinking on that but what if they decided to crank them out here instead? Say out of the Camaro plant perhaps?

Based on the initial reports, the Camaro plant is having a hard enough time cranking out Camaros that won't end up on flatbeds. :hysterical:

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Based on the initial reports, the Camaro plant is having a hard enough time cranking out Camaros that won't end up on flatbeds. :hysterical:

To steal a bit from Jim Gaffigan, the instructions in the Camaro owners manual ought to say:

"Drive off dealer lot, place directly on flatbed"

For those that don't know that bit, Google "Jim Gaffigan Lean Pockets"

That would certainly be a different situation. Could be a possibility there. GM would have to commit to giving up all of that Impala volume first though.

Your kidding right? You should take a ride in one. I loved it. A G8 GT. This is the first correct decision the " new " GM has made. A Buick GS or GN would be cool as well.

I am not kidding...while I have no doubts that the car is indeed a decent ride....it is not what the "new GM" needs to introduce...but if they are adamant about bringing forth, then they should take the time to consider new names and new ideas to supplement it. Bob Lutz needs to go bye-bye since this is the best he can do? Re-badge to a Chevy a car that was a re-badge of a Holden....geez.... :reading: