Ford July sales up 47% in Canada.

I'm impressed... is there some weird reason for this? I suppose with Canada's oil-exporting economy, things aren't as bad there?

Canada has no financial crisis. When the rest of the world was hit, the media and opposition parties made a big deal. People got scared and stopped buying.

Many Canadians and many business have lost money from the drop in commodity prices. Many Canadians have lost their jobs in export oriented industries.

Some areas in Canada are doing OK. Real estate prices are starting to rise in many cities. Anyone can get a car loan, mortgage or other credit. While the economy is doing poorly, people are starting to buy now.

The problem is that 90% of the cars made in Canada are exported to the US. Canada is not big enough to increase the demand for US made cars by very much. So this does not help jobs much.

I also think too many Canadian want to only buy from a winning company. They once bought from GM because they were the biggest, therefore the best automaker. They are now buying from Ford because Ford is the next winner.

For those interested:

http://www.desrosiers.ca/Monthly%20Updates/sales.pdf

GM's huge drop really doesn't surprise me, their dealer lots are empty. Chrysler's small drop surprised me though.

Ford is really gaining momentum in here. Expect the fiesta to become one of the best seller, it is BOUND to beat the Yaris/Versa/Fit, which believe it or not are pretty good sellers here.

For those interested:

GM's huge drop really doesn't surprise me, their dealer lots are empty. Chrysler's small drop surprised me though.

Ford is really gaining momentum in here. Expect the fiesta to become one of the best seller, it is BOUND to beat the Yaris/Versa/Fit, which believe it or not are pretty good sellers here.

I dunno how it is up there, but Chrysler's offering big incentives on vehicles here...

Canada has no financial crisis. When the rest of the world was hit, the media and opposition parties made a big deal. People got scared and stopped buying.

Many Canadians and many business have lost money from the drop in commodity prices. Many Canadians have lost their jobs in export oriented industries.

We don't have a financial crisis?

Some of these people seem to think we do/did

It may not be as bad as our friends to the south,but we are in a recession. Our steel industry is gone, the oil patch has slowed, the car plants are closing

and for some it's hard to get a loan,and house prices have been going south for a year at least

We don't have a financial crisis?

Some of these people seem to think we do/did

It may not be as bad as our friends to the south,but we are in a recession. Our steel industry is gone, the oil patch has slowed, the car plants are closing

and for some it's hard to get a loan,and house prices have been going south for a year at least

Yes, Canada is in a recession, but Canada has no banking (financial) crisis.

Maybe because itdoesnt have that many big banks.

Canada has 5 big banks. They just about have a monopoly on the entire Canadian banking system. One of them has as much business in the US as they do in Canada. A couple of them are the major foreign bankers in the Caribbean and South America.

They are are all making a profit.

Canada has 5 big banks. They just about have a monopoly on the entire Canadian banking system. One of them has as much business in the US as they do in Canada. A couple of them are the major foreign bankers in the Caribbean and South America.

Most American banks are making a profit now also. :shrug:

I thought the problem last year was the banks stopped lending to customers and themselves.

It was never about profit, it was all about avoiding exposure to bad debts.

Basically yes, but without lending anything out, they aren't generating any income through interest.

For those interested:

B and C segment is a big seller in larger urban centres of Canada such as Ontario, Quebec and Lower Mainland British Columbia. I agree Fiesta and 2011 Focus will have great potential here.

I believe it's also the centralized banking system and the regulations here have something to do with that. I can't point at specifics now, it's been a while since I last took a business class.

I thought the problem last year was the banks stopped lending to customers and themselves.

It was never about profit, it was all about avoiding exposure to bad debts.

Canadian banks were prohibited from getting into the sub-prime mess, by Federal regulations.

Maybe because itdoesnt have that many big banks.

It has almost nothing but big banks. Anyway, this is good news for Ford. Today, I was getting my car serviced at a Chrysler dealer, and I heard somebody tell someone that they were going to give them 7200 off of a caravan....and they could probably talk them down from there.

B and C segment is a big seller in larger urban centres of Canada such as Ontario, Quebec and Lower Mainland British Columbia. I agree Fiesta and 2011 Focus will have great potential here.

Canadian highways and biways are festered with Japanese B and C segment cars, with the Civic being at the head of the class. It will be a challenge for Ford Canada to sway the Canadian mindset away from the Civic Nation mentality.