Corvette C4C-ed

Wow...thats horrible....a Corvette as a clunker?! What moron traded that thing in..

Like someone already said,you could EASILY sell any running Vette for more than $4500....idiots...

I wonder how many V8 so called "clunkers" us muscle/sports car guys are gonna lose because of this program....I'm starting to really not like this..

When I first saw the video, I thought the same thing; Why wouldn't they just sell that vette. But I figure by the 3rd brake lamp and the wheel style its probably a 86ish. I imagine the acrylic top is really missing/broke not just removed. Who knows it may have alot of problems. Also, the interiors never did hold up that well. But overall, most of those corvettes bring atleast $4500.00. I am thinking it must have been a piece.

That reminds me of that Mythbusters episode where they took a C4 Vette in nice shape and let pigs decay in it to see if they could remove the smell later.

If I owned a salvage yard, I would be running ads saying "I'll pay up to $5000 for your clunker". I bet many "clunkers" have engines & trannys worth more than $4500.

The truth is, none of those C4C cars are worth that much.

Maybe they are not worth 4500 but why trash a car in working order???????? I just dont get it. It ran and was able to pull itself to the car lot. I think its a waste period. I have owned some real junk in the day and still do have one GMC truck that is about shot. When times got tough I was always able to milk the last miles out of Fords and Chevrolets. They burned oil, leaked oil, rattled, were rusted out, half the stuff worked on them but I was gentle with them and they took me a long way down the road. Both brands as a matter of fact.

I just see this whole program as robbing the taxpayer and wasting money to get something off the road that may burn a little more gas and polute more. The tree huggers will be happy but Im not. There are some people out there that would kill for some of these cars.

While shocking to say the least.....this program will not even dent the supply of good used clean cars and trucks....it will however jolt the economy enough to get it slowly moving forward.

How do you figure? Its a fact that prices have gone up on used parts engines and so forth. Lets trash that 95 Buick Roadmaster my friend has with a LT1 engine with 80K on it. Thats one less in the world to buy so they get harder to find. Thus, the price goes up.

Good used clean cars that you mention are probably 10K plus cars so that argument does not cut it with me. Some of you have never had to drive 500 dollar cars. I have. Now a days they are 1K cars due to inflation I guess. :hysterical: ONe of the best cars I ever had was a 72 LTD with a 400 that I gave 300 bucks for and drove it over 50K and got scared and sold it to my uncle who drove it yet another 50K before he hit so many deer that it was tore all to pieces. It went 230K and that was a big deal back in the day.

Some of you are completely out of touch with what a clunker really is. You remind me of our liberal sorry ass Congress and President.

I am sorry to go off on a rant but I hate waste. TT, this was not directed at you at all so please understand its just my opinion. IM just fed up with our goverment and the liberals. They clearly are morons imo. Before anybody jumps my ass, I have issues with many Republicans as well. Im ready to vote the whole bunch out period. Be damned the party Im mad.

I hope I dont get kicked out for this post. Im just fed up.

How do you figure? Its a fact that prices have gone up on used parts engines and so forth. Lets trash that 95 Buick Roadmaster my friend has with a LT1 engine with 80K on it. Thats one less in the world to buy so they get harder to find. Thus, the price goes up.

Good used clean cars that you mention are probably 10K plus cars so that argument does not cut it with me. Some of you have never had to drive 500 dollar cars. I have. Now a days they are 1K cars due to inflation I guess. :hysterical: ONe of the best cars I ever had was a 72 LTD with a 400 that I gave 300 bucks for and drove it over 50K and got scared and sold it to my uncle who drove it yet another 50K before he hit so many deer that it was tore all to pieces. It went 230K and that was a big deal back in the day.

Some of you are completely out of touch with what a clunker really is. You remind me of our liberal sorry ass Congress and President.

I am sorry to go off on a rant but I hate waste. TT, this was not directed at you at all so please understand its just my opinion. IM just fed up with our goverment and the liberals. They clearly are morons imo. Before anybody jumps my ass, I have issues with many Republicans as well. Im ready to vote the whole bunch out period. Be damned the party Im mad.

Somebody had to build and sell those cars for real money before you got your hands on them at $500. You wouldn't have a giant surprlus of fantastic and inexpensive used vehicles in a bad economy. So while we weed out a micrscopic FRACTION of the clunker glut out there (most comprised of vehicles you wouldn't even buy), more new Cars are going out the door to be your next used car purchase.

Besides, it's hard to hear a person gripe about finding cheap replacement parts for a car that guzzles very expensive gas. It's sort of like a smoking addict complaing about the cost of healthcare ;)

Besides, it's hard to hear a person gripe about finding cheap replacement parts for a car that guzzles very expensive gas. It's sort of like a smoking addict complaing about the cost of healthcare ;)

Are you serious? Let's just assume for a second that the buyer really can't afford a car payment. How can you compare paying a few hundred dollars TOTAL for a "clunker" to making a several hundred dollar car payment every month for several years? As for used replacement parts that is not a fixed payment and unless it is a real piece of crap will not be a monthly expense. The whole concept of people buying more than they can afford is one of the reasons we are in this mess.

I take no offense to your self labeled rant, but used car and parts dealers will use any excuse to try to drive up the prices for their goods, yet offer you next to nothing for it when it comes time to buy it from you...hence why you see such "atrocities" as a Corvette or Volvo S80 getting "clunked"....There will be plenty of good used clean cars well after "Cash For Clunkers" has run it's course...but the 3 billion of direct aid to the automotive economy will have a ripple effect into other sectors like nothing else has done yet...stimulus payments?? Nothing.....tax cuts??? Nada.....Cash for Clunkers?? Bingo!!! Automotive companies get to work, workers get paid....dealers make money....go buy more stuff....economy begins to move forward...by god, it sounds like the democratic version of "trickle down economics"..... :hysterical:

Are you serious? Let's just assume for a second that the buyer really can't afford a car payment. How can you compare paying a few hundred dollars TOTAL for a "clunker" to making a several hundred dollar car payment every month for several years? As for used replacement parts that is not a fixed payment and unless it is a real piece of crap will not be a monthly expense. The whole concept of people buying more than they can afford is one of the reasons we are in this mess.

I edited this because after looking at your sig, I don't have a clue as to what your point is. It seems that you're assuming that people are trading in clunkers are people that are buying more car than they can afford. If not, then what ARE you trying to say? Setting aside whether junking an '86 'Vette is a good idea, the majority of the junked vehicles are mid-90s Explorers that are getting mid-teens mpgs and getting $4500 for that vehicle is a good way for someone to get in a new vehicle that is far more efficient. That should not presume the buyer cannot afford the new car simply because he's still driving a mid-90s Explorer.

Do you seriously think taking 500k vehicles of all different types (Explorers, really big gas-guzzling cars, old pickups) off the road is going to change the price of used parts? It's your rant and your opinion, but I find it odd.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

Maybe they are not worth 4500 but why trash a car in working order???????? I just dont get it. It ran and was able to pull itself to the car lot. I think its a waste period. I have owned some real junk in the day and still do have one GMC truck that is about shot. When times got tough I was always able to milk the last miles out of Fords and Chevrolets. They burned oil, leaked oil, rattled, were rusted out, half the stuff worked on them but I was gentle with them and they took me a long way down the road. Both brands as a matter of fact.

I just see this whole program as robbing the taxpayer and wasting money to get something off the road that may burn a little more gas and polute more. The tree huggers will be happy but Im not. There are some people out there that would kill for some of these cars.

Remember, this program was invented by "environmentalists" that would rather have you drive a Fiesta that puts out more NOx than a Super Duty and was implemented by "economists" that think the solution to the recession is to borrow 1.5 trillion dollars/year from China :doh:

:headscratch:

Fiesta Econetic 1.6L Duratorque

0.192 g/km = .3072 g/mi

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/ve...ls.asp?id=15973

Fiesta Econetic 1.4 Duratorque

0.203 g/km = 0.3248 g/mi

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/ve...ls.asp?id=15980

08 Superduty 6.4L Powerstroke

<.07 g/mi

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/eart...rd07/page1.html

Granted, the testing standards probably aren't identical but the results aren't surprising considering the super duty's emmision system and the Fiesta's lack thereof.

Fiesta Econetic 1.6L Duratorque

0.192 g/km = .3072 g/mi

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/ve...ls.asp?id=15973

Fiesta Econetic 1.4 Duratorque

0.203 g/km = 0.3248 g/mi

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/ve...ls.asp?id=15980

08 Superduty 6.4L Powerstroke

<.07 g/mi

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/eart...rd07/page1.html

Granted, the testing standards probably aren't identical but the results aren't surprising considering the super duty's emmision system and the Fiesta's lack thereof.

Emission testing in the UK -v- USA are totally different, one of the reasons you don't see the Duratorque here in the USA....probably a better comparison would be to use a US spec VW four cylinder diesel.

:rant: somehow I get the feeling mlhm5 will be making an appearance ......

Edited by twintornados

Remember, this program was invented by "environmentalists" that would rather have you drive a Fiesta that puts out more NOx than a Super Duty and was implemented by "economists" that think the solution to the recession is to borrow 1.5 trillion dollars/year from China :doh:

Yea, this is great for the enviroment!clunkers-copy.jpg