Toyota Tundra in High Demand

V8-X

Yeah the spin probably is that not many are being built, so they MIGHT be in hot demand (for what few are being built), but I loved the spin they placed on their article to justify their misperceptions.

Mayne their sales are dropping because they just announced pricing that increased THOUSANDS over last year units? Even the Sequoia was raised not a few hundred dollars, but about $3400 !! SO I guess someone will really have to pay for it, if they really want that "T"...

Here’s why the Tundra is getting hot again:

Fewer vehicles encourage consumers to act quickly.

1. Quick action reduces one of the key advantages that Ford, GM, and Chrysler have over Toyota. At some point, if consumers wait long enough, Ford/GM/Chrysler is going to offer a ridiculous discount on a new F150/Silverado/Ram that’s simply too good to miss. If the Tundra is hard to get (especially the exact Tundra the consumer wants), they’re much more likely to act NOW - taking the air out of the domestics “blow out” sales.

2. The Tundra’s perceived value is higher. When you go to the Ford dealership, you ask what kind of deal you can get on one of 100 trucks. When you go to the Toyota dealership, you ask if the blue Tundra in the back is still available (crossing your fingers the whole time). That’s a big difference.

3. This strategy supports Toyota’s value story. Every Toyota dealer in North America has a plaque on the wall somewhere that reads: “the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten.” When consumers ask why there aren’t a lot of new Tundras to be had, dealers can explain that it’s because of quality…and it will make sense.

4. This strategy supports the Tundra’s industry leading resale value. Toyota is hanging their hat on resale value, and it’s a good bet with the Tundra. When there are just barely enough new Tundras to go around, used Tundras become more valuable. Supply and demand, right?

1. You mean like the incentives that Toyota plopped on the hood of the Tundra the minute the current version went on sale? Incentives that in some markets exceeded those of the domestics, to bolster sales. Only to have them crashing down to where they are today.

2. It Toyota was dealing in these sorts of volumes, you best believe they would have programs to support their product. I'm not going to even go there about perception, because it's not reality. Besides anyone that pays stickers for those steaming piles of garbage is a fool. There are very few cars in this market that one should pay sticker for, and this isn't one of them.

3. Yeah Toyota has proven that with tin foil tailgates, and all the other quality issues these trucks have left the factory with.

4. When will folks learn that cars are not an investment? I don't care how much folks jump up and down about resale, unless you are leasing it should be the least of your concern. Besides the residual ratings on the F-150 and Ram are rated similarly to that of the Tundra.

They need to put down the crack pipe.

Glad to see others thought of this article, if you can call it that, was hilarious. I sure hope none of use look as idiotic as the poster of that article. Poor Jason, the Admin, I've chatted with him a few times, but boy is he going overboard.

Edited by V8-X

What a dumb, misleading article. They must have short term memories over at TundraHQ, because they seem to have forgotten that Toyota slashed Tundra production to 1/3 of its original projections last year and halted Tundra production for three months starting in August '08. They stopped building them at the Princeton plant because there wasn't enough capacity between Texas and Indiana. Of course there's going to be high demand when you shut down production for three months and reduce production thereafter.

What a total spin job.

From the Tundra HQ post:

Every Toyota dealer in North America has a plaque on the wall somewhere that reads: “the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten.”

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I wonder if the experience of many early adopters who purchased initial production 2007 MY Tundra 4x4s was extra bitter since the highly publicized QC problems were not tempered by the "sweetness" of incentives Toyota offered a year later? Toyota reined in most of the quality issues by then, too...

According to that logic then, ford dealerships should take 90% of their trucks to a hidden parking lot giving the impression that there are few trucks available!

Then of course buyers will flood the dealerships with renewed interest causing the same "hot demand"!

Perfect, now we know the secret toyota strategy and how they sell so many tundra's.

Hopefully f series sales will aspire to toyota sales...oh, wait.... :hysterical:

Judging from the JD power article they posted, the Hyundai Entourage is also in high demand. :hysterical:

low inventory =/= high demand.

I'm so glad Toyota screwed royally with the Tundra. January 2nd I want to hear that Toyota hasn't got 100 000 Tundra sales in 2009, and I want AT LEAST another mass recall.