Online Order Tracking and Status

Eliminatorxr7

• 5 months later...

Trying to get "trusted information" from the dealer on where my new Edge is is tough. I wish Ford would make this their New Years resolution and make new Ford customers really happy.

Is there any other way other than going to my dealer to get up to date "real" information on when my car is to be shipped?... It would be nice this side of Xmas.

I noticed that someone mentioned an 0800 number that you can check. Could someone help here?... my VIN is 2FMDK4JCXCBA64203

I can now see my Window Sticker as from 2 days ago!

Is Father Christmas out there?

Obviously not!

An update shows that my Shipping has changed from CONVOY to RAIL. That sounds a bit dumb as I am 30 minutes away from where the car has been built. No doubt further delays.

I must have been naughty this year!

Edited by alanmagrowski

• 5 months later...

If UPS can do it with millions of packages a day and Dominos can say who put the pepperoni on your pizza, I'm sure Ford can too. Especially when so much money is going out for a vehicle purchase customers like myself should be able to become part of the process with that ownership and level of customer service from Day 1 of the order. I have been patient for a month since my order on 4/9 and have found out that my 2012 4X4 XLT w/EB was being built 5/7, but now I am anticipating how the shipment process will go and that really where the tracking is needed.

Hopefully ford takes the complaints about the vehicle tracking system seriously. Trying to hassle the dealership for information on tracking is not the way it should have to be done. 2012 Fx4 EB S-crew, sterling grey. ordered mar.30,2012. built apr.23,2012. awaiting shipment.

Edited by cloe15

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Are you willing to pay $100 more per vehicle ? That is how the boys in the glass house look at it.

That would be quite reasonable; I'd definitely be willing to do that. Especially if Ford offers more options a-la-carte, not bundled into packages. This may allow customers to more easily eliminate undesired features from their vehicle orders and more than offset the $100.

What puzzles me is that Ford's fleet customers can already track orders online. Is it that much of an effort to extend this capability to non-FIN customers?

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

That would be quite reasonable; I'd definitely be willing to do that. Especially if Ford offers more options a-la-carte, not bundled into packages. This may allow customers to more easily eliminate undesired features from their vehicle orders and more than offset the $100.

What puzzles me is that Ford's fleet customers can already track orders online. Is it that much of an effort to extend this capability to non-FIN customers?

Fleet customers have accounts and I would bet they can only track their vehicles, not other peoples.

The basic tracking is already there. But Ford would have to build a front end which would interface with the antiquated and not user friendly back end systems and decide what info to show the customer and what not to show them and do the translations.

It's not difficult but it's also not trivial when you're dealing with old legacy systems and I think Ford simply has bigger and better things to spend resources on right now.

Maybe this will be part of the Lincoln concierge service. That would be a nice perk.

• 1 month later...
So how much more are you willing to pay for your vehicle to have an online order racking system ?

Replacing the current system would cost 10s if not 100s of millions of dollars. Are you willing to pay $100 more per vehicle ? That is how the boys in the glass house look at it.

I most definetly would pay the extra money, i am going crazy with waiting

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a nice feature. Also for ford to offer tours that show vehicles being built. Porsche has tours in Germany and people are amazed buy it. I went to the Mahwah new jersey plant when I was a kid with my father who worked for dealership. He had a car on order but it got built just a little later.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a C-Max Energi order in and of course no way to track it. I have ordered a Porsche and two Mini's in the last 10 years and I have been able to track each one from the point a VIN was assigned until they arrived at the dealer. That included the ship from Europe and where the ship was at any one time (including a web-cam of the ship going through the Panama Canal).

Totally agree about after the dealership has your deposit, there is no incentive for them to do any work after that but wait. I ordered over a month ago and called today to find out the status. I was told that because my salesman was off this weekend that I'd need to call back on Monday. They didn't even ask if I wanted to leave a message!

So I called the home office number. Gentlemen was very pleasant but all he could tell me was that the car was "in production". I asked him what that meant and he said he didn't know.

Unbelievable.

Totally agree about after the dealership has your deposit, there is no incentive for them to do any work after that but wait. I ordered over a month ago and called today to find out the status. I was told that because my salesman was off this weekend that I'd need to call back on Monday. They didn't even ask if I wanted to leave a message!

So I called the home office number. Gentlemen was very pleasant but all he could tell me was that the car was "in production". I asked him what that meant and he said he didn't know.

Unbelievable.

Ask to speak directly with the Sales Manager. He's the guy who has acces to all the information available. Don't think that your salesperson has that kind of access.

• 2 years later...

It would be great if Ford had real time tracking and it would be even better if static pictures were taken of your ordered car as it went through production. No need to see some kind of live video stream. It would make the whole experience more personal. As it is there is nothing stopping me from changing my mind other than losing my deposit, not that big of a deal to me, and going with a competitor. I will say that my dealer does send me an email every Tue with a status update. Last status was the car is currently on rail transport with an ETA of 7/1. I think it would be great to know exactly where the train is at and follow it along its rout.

This is what I have on order http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMJK1MT7FEF47721 and will post pictures once I have it in my possession.

Knowing where the train is at is completely out of Ford's hands. Yes it would be nice but getting the railroads on board with that is a pipe dream. Something about national security or some BS like that. That's why in their updates they leave it vague.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Ford's Vehicle Visibility program shows a vehicles complete order history including all updates for vehicles in transit... including rail car carrier, rail car numbers, rail car location, etc. The information is updated with each status or location change and is available to all dealers.

Knowing where the train is at is completely out of Ford's hands. Yes it would be nice but getting the railroads on board with that is a pipe dream. Something about national security or some BS like that. That's why in their updates they leave it vague.

If you have the rail car number and name of rail transporter you can track the progress yourself. I did this with my FFH and my MKZh.

Complete tracking has been around and available for years. In 2007 I ordered a Shelby GT 500 thru my local dealer and had it drop shipped from Dearborn to Shelby America in Las Vegas. Once the VIN# and build date was issued by Ford, I was able to track the car weekly, including which rail service and rail car it was on. All dealers can do this. Most dealers do not want the public to know this and will not admit that it can be done for obvious reasons.

• 2 months later...