British-built engines (EcoBoost 1.6L) for the US

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt England, which I bet has the highest wages of any Ford employees, will be the only 2.0 EB plant. For one, they wont be able to build enough and too expensive with the union driving up wages.

The jury is still out on how well the EB 2.0 will be received in the USA.

All well and good to say stick it in every vehicle but will the buying public accept it?

All well and good to say stick it in every vehicle but will the buying public accept it?

depends on where and what type of vehicle they shoehorn the engine into...if its 250-260 how bout an AWD Fiesta>>>>>YES PLEASE!

Lets look at all the vehicles...Focus, mercury small car, MkC, Fusion, Milan, MkZ, Mondeo, Taurus, MkS, Falcon, Escape, Mariner, Lincoln crossover, Edge, MkX, Flex, MkT, Territory, C-Max, S-Max, Galaxy, maybe Transit, Ranger. One factory is not enough.

The first EcoBoost engines are premium performance engines. That means v6 for US and I4 in Europe for premium cars like the Mondeo and Volvo's. When they add to production and start using them as the standard engine in all cars, then I expect them to start making the I4 EB in the US. As a premium engine, the US can import them for the first couple of years.

that engine is going in the Fiesta.. the US engine will be made in the US at cleveland or lima..
That doesn't make much sense to me since they would have to completely tool up either CEP2 or LEP for I4. CEP1 is already making 3.5L EB. Much cheaper to upgrade Dearborn block line for 2.5L and assy line for balance shaft engine + turbo. Last I heard, ChEP was nearly maxed on capacity but that was before the current economic downturn. But DEP was nowhere near capacity with only 2.0L NA Focus and 2.3L Ranger to build.

I doubt England, which I bet has the highest wages of any Ford employees, will be the only 2.0 EB plant. For one, they wont be able to build enough and too expensive with the union driving up wages.

The 2.0L EB is too be produced in Valencia Spain not the UK.

Lets look at all the vehicles...Focus, mercury small car, MkC, Fusion, Milan, MkZ, Mondeo, Taurus, MkS, Falcon, Escape, Mariner, Lincoln crossover, Edge, MkX, Flex, MkT, Territory, C-Max, S-Max, Galaxy, maybe Transit, Ranger. One factory is not enough.

Ecoboost I-4 is not going in the Territory, it is getting the 2.7 V6 Turbo Diesel.

I think you will find the wages in England are low compared to Ford Germany & Ford Spain, Ford's Dagenham plant also completely wind powered with low plant costs as well. It also costs a company 3 times more money to get rid of a crougt, froggie, dago, or wop than a Brit.

Brits are the most cheap n' cheapful, easy to hire & fire in Europe thanks to Maggie.

It works both ways in downturn Brits are first to lose their jobs because we are cheapest to get rid of, everything that could be made in China cheaper went years ago in the UK.

GM are now considering holding on to Opel in Europe because they will have to give it away for next to nothing or pay a small fortune out in severance to its Opel German workforce if they close the operations down. Keeping Opel open and at GM must be cheapest option providing we don't go into a double dip downturn.

We don't start paying for the huge British government bailouts in sky high taxes until after the next general election in the UK, they have borrowed from the future to bailout today on the never, never, government credit card. It makes Brown/Darling look good today and thats all that matters.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

And the release only said that the Valencia engine would be exported globally, so file this one along with the Saarlouis Focus announcement from a month or so ago.

Will you have any of those V8's left that have a nice rumble sound at low revs Stateside Richard, or are they all going to disappear?

Do the 4 pot ecoboost engines sound like a whistling kettles on the boil.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I will bet that it gets it in the future...btw is that diesel able to comply to US standards?

No, they chose to do the V6 diesel as a buyer expectation.

Our units arrive late 2010- early 2011 so whilst we don't need Bluetec in AUS,

I'm pretty sure FoE will have it developed by then, I see Mazda CX-7 Diesel was shown in Europe

recently with Bluetec gear, maybe the US is getting diesels but at a premium.

No, they chose to do the V6 diesel as a buyer expectation.

Our units arrive late 2010- early 2011 so whilst we don't need Bluetec in AUS,

I'm pretty sure FoE will have it developed by then, I see Mazda CX-7 Diesel was shown in Europe

recently with Bluetec gear, maybe the US is getting diesels but at a premium.

So Ford of europe will get the Territory?

That doesn't make much sense to me since they would have to completely tool up either CEP2 or LEP for I4. CEP1 is already making 3.5L EB. Much cheaper to upgrade Dearborn block line for 2.5L and assy line for balance shaft engine + turbo. Last I heard, ChEP was nearly maxed on capacity but that was before the current economic downturn. But DEP was nowhere near capacity with only 2.0L NA Focus and 2.3L Ranger to build.

doesnt matter where it goes there going to need new machining. ford wants over 1 million I4's by 2015 and there not going to make 1 million engines in any 1 plant. its going to cleveland. in the end its going to a us plant..

doesnt matter where it goes there going to need new machining. ford wants over 1 million I4's by 2015 and there not going to make 1 million engines in any 1 plant. its going to cleveland. in the end its going to a us plant..

Chihuahua has a max capacity of 425,000 large I4 1.8-2.5 they just added a line to make the 1.6 for the fiesta , that line could also make large I4s as well.

DEP has a max capacity of 275,000 large I4 per year.

CEP is not needed as of now.

The volvo I-6 is transverse only at present. There's basically a crankshaft PTO in the middle for driving accessories and shortening the overall unit. It already has a turbo version (they developed two really, a low pressure and a high pressure) but the heads aren't ideal for GDI at the moment. That will be the next update I guess.