Toyota Accused of Hiding Evidence

RaZor

A former attorney for Toyota has accused the automaker of illegally withholding evidence in hundreds of rollover death and injury cases, in a "ruthless conspiracy" to keep evidence "of its vehicles' structural shortcomings from becoming known."

The explosive allegations are contained in a federal racketeering suit filed in Los Angeles by Dimitrios P. Biller, former managing counsel for Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., who claims his complaints about the company's legal misconduct cost him his job.

Read more

Who wants to bet this will be covered up as much as possible by the media. If this were Ford it would be splashed all over the front page and talked about on every news network. Toyota has been having a lot of issues lately. Not only with profit and sales, but also quality, safety and recalls. Changing people's perception of this company will be hard though when the US media is their biggest positive ad agency. Toyota the happy little earth friendly automaker that builds cars that will last forever without any maintenance. That is a hard line to overcome when you are the competition.

No doubt TTAC "most trusted car maker" you can trust with your life, the 2010 award winner is - TOYOTA

How do Toyota get away with shit like this all the time, every time and come out of it smelling of roses.

l'd rather catch a boring bus, than own a Toyota. At least the bus is a lot safer and 1,000 times less boring.

Who wants to bet this will be covered up as much as possible by the media. If this were Ford it would be splashed all over the front page and talked about on every news network. Toyota has been having a lot of issues lately. Not only with profit and sales, but also quality, safety and recalls. Changing people's perception of this company will be hard though when the US media is their biggest positive ad agency. Toyota the happy little earth friendly automaker that builds cars that will last forever without any maintenance. That is a hard line to overcome when you are the competition.

+1

I'm sure it will as well...

+2! Dirty :censored: !

And here's the Toyota owners take. In a nut shell, it's a sleezy lawyer out to make a buck and name for himself without any merit. Typical Yota owner mentality.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/200...eering-lawsuit/

Does it surprise me that Yota fans act/re-act like this, Nope. Would it surprise me if Toyota was found guilty. Nope. Will this change either the owners or companies ways, more than likely not.

And this is so low on the media coverage, today is the 1st day I've heard/read about it. Any media bias there???

Edited by V8-X

And here's the Toyota owners take. In a nut shell, it's a sleezy lawyer out to make a buck and name for himself without any merit. Typical Yota owner mentality.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/200...eering-lawsuit/

Does it surprise me that Yota fans act/re-act like this, Nope. Would it surprise me if Toyota was found guilty. Nope. Will this change either the owners or companies ways, more than likely not.

And this is so low on the media coverage, today is the 1st day I've heard/read about it. Any media bias there???

Well the guy is certainly risking his law career so he'd better be right and able to prove his claims. If Toyota used the attorney's services in a criminal manner there are exceptions to the attorney-client privilege that may apply. An attorney may not knowingly help a client to lie under oath.

Isn't this mostly about failure to cooperate fully during discovery in civil proceedings, though?

It is a RICO action which has both criminal and civil penalties. Obstruction of Justice falls within RICO. Discovery is submitted under oath and there is a perjury component for knowingly tampering with or destroying evidence. It will be very interesting to see where this goes.

It is a RICO action which has both criminal and civil penalties. Obstruction of Justice falls within RICO. Discovery is submitted under oath and there is a perjury component for knowingly tampering with or destroying evidence. It will be very interesting to see where this goes.

Then my question would be whether/how a private party can pursue a criminal matter. I would assume he can only sue under the civil sections of RICO. Also, isn't 'obstruction of justice' restricted to criminal matters?

Although I'd guess a criminal investigation could be launched if evidence of perjury turns up.

I'm curious how he intends to prove that records were destroyed.