Delays for Fiesta and Focus ??

Original launch date was January 2010 and Focus April 2010 (April 12th actually)

Then something happened and everything got postponed.

Fiesta's launch is now planned for September/October 2010. Focus is not scheduled to launch until December 2010/January 2011.

The C-Max was actually scheduled to beat the C3 Focus in US - it was to launch in Europe this fall, and in US in March or so 2010. However you see in the PR that the C-Max is not launching in EU until next Summer - this is a unusually early reveal for European standards, where cars go on sale within 2 months of the reveal.

This was posted by igor, on GMI.

This is not good.

What is the problem, and the hold-up for these cars? They are very important, and the Fiesta in particular, has a tremendous amount of hype going for it. A delay of 6-months will be awful.

This could allow GM to be ahead of Ford, in the release of their redone Aveo (would probably still be awful), and the Cruze.

This is not good.

What is the problem, and the hold-up for these cars? They are very important, and the Fiesta in particular, has a tremendous amount of hype going for it. A delay of 6-months will be awful.

This could allow GM to be ahead of Ford, in the release of their redone Aveo (would probably still be awful), and the Cruze.

I've got no idea, but perhaps they're just making sure everything's good and that quality, etc. will be good?

Also, perhaps the Fiesta plant changeover has been delayed somehow - that could be an explanation for that.

6 months late, is alot of quality checking.

What is the hold-up?? Tooling, engine, trans, is Ford short of money............. what??

You do realize that the tentative new Ford fans, those who are clamoring for the Fiesta, will be crying bloody murder, when they find out it will be 6 months later than projected.

They can't understand why Europe has it, and we had to wait until Jan/Feb 2010.

I remember the Camaro had the longest, overburnt, intro ever... "its coming, it's coming"...yeah, years and years later to the point where I'm bored of hearing or seeing it. The fiesta is coming in at a 2nd place. It's a good product that I'm happy to receive stateside, but the news of it is kinda getting old. Same with this Grand CMax...a year from now it'll be old news...

At this rate GM will release the Cruze and Orlando and beat Ford to the market...yes, with recalls and all, but still...

Hmm interesting...Though the party line for the Fiesta was Summer 2010..not January of next year. The whole roll out of the Fiesta and Focus for next year, being together so closely always struck me as something out of the ordinary that Ford wouldn't do.

Anyways, here is my prediction:

Fiesta production starting April/May of next year, in dealerships by August.

Focus production starting late 2010, November/December, in dealerships early 2011.

But it also begs the question, why is Igor posting it on GMI and not here? I haven't seen him on here much as of late. Its only one source and who knows how accurate the info was prior to this....

You do realize that the tentative new Ford fans, those who are clamoring for the Fiesta, will be crying bloody murder, when they find out it will be 6 months later than projected.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, from the what has been stated with the Fiesta movement thing thats going on, Ford as always been saying Summer 2010 (just checked the fiestamovement website) with the Fiesta.

Most of the people who get worked into frenzy about these cars are tire kickers and come up with excuses why they won't buy the car...You should see some of the idiots that are on the more popular Focus boards....makes me wonder about Gen Y as a whole thinking they can get their way with everything or bitching about it when they don't...the parents brought them up with too much sense of entitlement.

Edited by silvrsvt

What is the hold-up?? Tooling, engine, trans, is Ford short of money............. what??

at a Taurus event back in June, a Ford rep told me that the assembly plant at Cuautitlán was behind schedule

BUT the C3 Focus was ahead of schedule

frankly, it doesn't make sense to me to delay Focus's intro because of the Fiesta

but then I don't know what Ford's thinking is

Edited by 2b2

The Mexico plant was originally supposed to ramp up at the end of this year. Job1 has been pushed out to April. And as far as I know, it is still there. I haven't heard anything about additional slipping. As I understand it, the C-Max is supposed to be Europe's first C3 vehicle. The Focus is ours and production was intended to start around the same time. That would put the Job1 for our Focus at Sep or so.

If there have been additional delays, I imagine it would be for a couple reasons: 1) supplier problems - they are going to need cash, and Ford is investing - which means less cash for its development and slower ramp time for supplier development and 2) disruptions in Mexico due to H1N1.

But, I haven't heard anything yet, so I cannot comment. The Fiesta will be on sale in June of 2010 as far as I know.

If it's later, that could be a disaster for Ford.

I hope he's wrong, by the time the Fiesta is on sale here the world version might be up for a re-fresh.. :unsure:

That may be true. If it's like the C-Max we're getting, it's the upcoming generation. I'm sure we'll get any updates /refreshes for the Fiesta also.

BTW the Fiesta roll out is nothing like the Camaro. It has been on sale in Europe to universal acclaim for a while. The Camaro had been a movie tease.....years of no product anywhere.

6 months late, is alot of quality checking.

They can't understand why Europe has it, and we had to wait until Jan/Feb 2010.

You are exactly right. When i first heard and read about the Fiesta i knew i wanted one as a nice little commuter car. People at first said it would come out around Jan/Feb 2010... then it slipped to May 2010... now its slipping even further.

This is frustrating to me because i live in Germany and i see Fiesta's all over the place but i have to continue to wait and wait and wait. If this takes too long i might just end up with a Fit. I can't wait forever. My current commuter car, a '95 Audi 2.0 E, is about to die lol

Edited by manbearpig

Focus production starting late 2010, November/December, in dealerships early 2011.

Just a SWAG ...

Slipping Job #1/Sales Intro of the new Focus could have some benefits.

• If sales don't start until Jan 2011, it can officially be called a 2012MY
  • Ford may decide to keep building the old Focus right up until Dec 2010 at WAP, hiring new employees for the start up at MAP. They could sell the "classic" Focus (admittedly discounted) next to the new Focus well into 2011. (They did this awhile ago with the F150.)

This is not good.

Just read this a few days ago at Motor Trend (Sept. 11, 2009)...

Sources at Ford have confirmed that the 2011 Ford Fiesta compact hatch will make its production debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this December and that, like most other Fords, it will come equipped with Sync.

The long-awaited U.S. model of the popular Ford Fiesta will be one of the highlights of the Ford stand in Los Angeles before it goes on sale in May 2010. Our sources say that the biggest delays have been in modifying the European-spec Fiesta's crash safety systems to meet stricter U.S. standards and modifying the engines to meet U.S. emissions standards. Despite the necessary changes to the structure, our sources tell us that the car's styling should be virtually unchanged from the European-spec model, which you may have seen running around your town as part of Ford's Fiesta Movement.

-http://wot.motortrend.com/6581364/auto-shows/us-spec-2011-ford-fiesta-to-debut-at-la-show-with-sync-on-board/index.html

http://www.phharval.com/aboutPHHArval/news...tes/091409B.pdf is still quoting a start-up date of April 26, 2010. That's as of 9/14.

I haven't seen any other source discussing a delay. However, if there is, I simply won't buy. I've set a deadline of 6/30/10 for my next car purchase.

I'm willing to wait a certain period of time for a good car but I have limits. If I didn't know about Fiesta, I probably would have bought something else already.

Just a SWAG ...

Slipping Job #1/Sales Intro of the new Focus could have some benefits.

• If sales don't start until Jan 2011, it can officially be called a 2012MY
  • Ford may decide to keep building the old Focus right up until Dec 2010 at WAP, hiring new employees for the start up at MAP. They could sell the "classic" Focus (admittedly discounted) next to the new Focus well into 2011. (They did this awhile ago with the F150.)

Overlapping would be stupid and unprofitable for the Focus. it doesnt exactly have a huge profit margin to fall back on.

It ain't the product so much as it's the place where the product is built.

Then maybe they picked the wrong spots to build them. If they had been in showrooms the same time as their European kin, Ford would have dominated sales during $4.50 gas and the CARS program.

Day late, a Euro short.

Then maybe they picked the wrong spots to build them. If they had been in showrooms the same time as their European kin, Ford would have dominated sales during $4.50 gas and the CARS program.

Day late, a Euro short.

1) the new Fiesta wasn't on the market in the EU, even, during $4.50 gas.

2) Every plant, including Wixom, would have required substantial work to accommodate the Fiesta.