Fiat CEO: Chrysler worse than we thought

Paul Selby

It is very sad but Chrysler is done. Chrysler Corporation (pre-Daimler) always seemed to be managed as a boom or bust company. From the Airflow on there was never a consistent theme for any of Chrysler's makes. Market segments were never carefully delineated after 1956. Styling showed very little continuity either from generation to generation or within a given make. I find it odd that Hyundai, which built such total junk, could turn itself around but Chrysler couldn't (at least not for any length of time). I am of the opinion that Daimler more or less gutted Chrysler after they bought it. Cerebus, I would bet, was hoping to make a profit by "flipping" Chrysler and not by actually building automobiles. Investment bankers shouldn't run car companies. Cerebus/Chrysler reminds me of Dodge and Dillon-Reed, the investment company that bought Dodge from the Dodge widows. The major difference being that Dillon-Reed thought they could run Dodge whereas Cerebus had no intentions of maintaining Chrysler long-term.

The new Challenger is a beautiful car. But who knows if Dodge will be around much longer to provide parts and service.

Edited by LM4EVR

It was a stupid idea from the beginning. Its nice that Fiat decided to get in the game but as history has often pointed out, things often repeat themselves. Fiat should've been able to look at the Daimler deal and understand that perhaps Chrysler is just too F'ed up for us to fix. But no. Instead they opened their Italian leather wallets and surprise! They got stung. Who in their right mind would pick Chrysler up now? I'll go out on a limb and say no one. Jeep would be the only thing to survive and its unclear who that suiter would be. I can't see GM or Ford doing it so that leaves someone else from abroad.

Someone else here said it. Its clear that Chrysler really hasn't done anything for the last 24 months. I think its even longer and the only good thing I can think about them having right now is the Challenger. Nice car but it in no way can haul their butts out of the rut.

It was a stupid idea from the beginning. Its nice that Fiat decided to get in the game but as history has often pointed out, things often repeat themselves. Fiat should've been able to look at the Daimler deal and understand that perhaps Chrysler is just too F'ed up for us to fix. But no. Instead they opened their Italian leather wallets and surprise! They got stung. Who in their right mind would pick Chrysler up now? I'll go out on a limb and say no one. Jeep would be the only thing to survive and its unclear who that suiter would be. I can't see GM or Ford doing it so that leaves someone else from abroad.

Someone else here said it. Its clear that Chrysler really hasn't done anything for the last 24 months. I think its even longer and the only good thing I can think about them having right now is the Challenger. Nice car but it in no way can haul their butts out of the rut.

Technically, I don't think they paid anything for Chrysler.

Well, Mopar will never be #3 or 4, or even 5 car maker again. They have been boom/bust for decades.

Some think they would have been OK if not for Daimler after 1998, but their 90's "pretty" cars had quality issues too, as they always did. Some loyalists will claim their '96 Neon lasted 300K miles, but many more had junky ones.

Sure the Challenger is nice looking, but that alone can't save the company. Fiat will end up basically retooling for their designs and there won't be anymore Mopar with huge dealer count and inventory as the loyalists expect.

Edited by 630land

The Challenger was made with "Ram Truck" mentality, too big and too thirsty. They would have been so smart to just resurrect the original model, duplicate and make it with new engines. Done. Wrong! Just like the Camaro was done. Over their time in the business, of course they made many notable vehicles. But, Fiat will likely, and smartly, sell their own stuff here. Good. More fuel-efficient good handling cars are just what's needed. Not another incarnation of a Jeep. They should keep building the larger cars though, since Ford is killing off the CV. If they had really had the proper assistance from Mercedes, they could have had some real world-class units. Now, I hope they sell some good cars when the tide washes over here. The only model I'll miss is the PTC, but I doubt I'll buy another one anyway. Chrysler is all but dead, and someone should tell them. Two years of nothing isn't a surprise, just reality.