On Again: GM to import Holden Commodore for Police Duty

PREMiERdrum

http://jalopnik.com/5361574/gm-still-to-re...e-as-us-cop-car

GM CEO Fritz Henderson says the General's still looking to win a contract to supply re-badged Holden Commodores (formerly re-badged as the Pontiac G8 and once rumored to be re-badged as the Chevy Caprice) to US law enforcement agencies.
Edited by PREMiERdrum

I wonder what the Magic 8-ball will tell them to do tomorrow....

The following story describes a typical day of decision making in the life of Bob Lutz. Lutz's actions/thoughts are in black, while the 8 ball's are in blue.

"Oh magic 8 ball, am I making good decisions today?"

:shake: :shake:

ASK AGAIN LATER

"Hmmmm..............................OK!"

"Oh glorious 8 ball, am I making good decisions today?"

REPLY HAZY, TRY AGAIN

"Ok 8 ball, I'll try again in a minute...."

"Oh gloriously wonderful 8 ball, am I making good decisions today?"

MY SOURCES SAY NO

"Well that wasn't the answer I was looking for......lets try again."

"Oh gloriously wonderful and amazing 8 ball, am I making good decisions today?"

NOPE, DON'T THINK SO

"Grrrrrr......stupid piece of junk, I mean BRILLIANT magical wonder! Let's try a little bit different question."

"Oh gloriously wonderfully magnificent 8 ball, will I ever make good decisions?"

DON'T COUNT ON IT

"You piece of ****, I oughta throw you across the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One last chance....."

"Oh gloriously wonderful and magnificently outstanding 8 ball, am I making good decisions today and/or will I ever make good decisions?"

LOOK BUDDY, IF I SAY YES, WILL YOU LEAVE ME ALONE AND STOP TRYING TO KILL ME??!!?!?

"Sounds good to me! Here goes nothin...."

"Oh gloriously wonderful and absolutely incredible 8 ball, am I making good decisions today?"

YES, YOU MAY RELY ON IT

:party: :party2: :party2: "PARTY PARTY!!!!!!!!!! I'M MAKIN' GOOD DECISIONS! I'M MAKIN' GOOD DECISIONS!! :dance: :dance: OH YEAH, UH HUH, OH YEAH, I'M A GENIUS, I'M REALLY SMART, OH YEAH, UH HUH!!!!!!!"

Edited by rmc523

I don't get why GM is so reluctant to use this platform as the next Impala. The Malibu is fully capable of taking care of those customers who desire a roomy and high quality FWD sedan. A zeta-based Impala should be available for those of us who want something bigger and RWD, not to mention the option of a V8. I'm convinced that the GM execs (old or new, makes no difference) believe that WE believe that RWD is evil and inefficient. Yet, their Camaro with the SIDI V6 gets 29 MPG and is fast. I can easily imagine an LS Impala with the 260 HP 3.0L V6 standard getting 19/30 MPG, the LTZ with a 304 HP 3.6L V6 getting 18/28 MPG, and the SS with the 400 HP 6.2L V8 with AFM getting 16/25. Another option, if only for Police use (9C1) could be a 325 HP 5.3L V8 with AFM getting 17/26 MPG.

All well and good, but fleet average for cars will need to be c. 28mpg combined by 2016.

And GM has three retail channels for midsize & fullsize vehicles and only one for compacts & subcompacts.

Killing Saturn & Pontiac in the face of stiffening CAFE requirements will not go down as one of the smarter moves GM has ever made.