Ford Issues Largest Ever Recall

Hmm, I thought this same switch was used on SN95 Mustangs too. I've just been waiting for my Cobra to be recalled over this...

Actually the Mustangs used a mechanical brake pressure sensor. It attaches to the pedal as a redundant switch to disable cruise. I don't think mustangs use any master cylinder mounted pressure switches.

It will be interesting to chart the return customers that this recall affects. I predict that less than 60% will buy another Ford product due to this recall.

Why? All manufacturers have recalls. They did this fix to my 2002 F-150 a few years back and I have purchased 2 new Fords since with a 3rd possibly in the works. It was a quick fix they did on the spot. I know many other F-150 owners that didn't think twice about this recall.

Yea, 2.5 years, and 35 notices, after it was recalled the first time.

He will win a huge settlement, because Ford should have sent Vinnie over to his house, to pull him out of bed yelling and screaming, and force him, at gunpoint, to bring the vehicle in to have the recall taken care of.

Thus, Ford was negligent.

Yea, 2.5 years, and 35 notices, after it was recalled the first time.

He will win a huge settlement, because Ford should have sent Vinnie over to his house, to pull him out of bed yelling and screaming, and force him, at gunpoint, to bring the vehicle in to have the recall taken care of.

Thus, Ford was negligent.

Well, duh!

I'm kidding...this guy really needs :finger: from his family for destroying their house!

So are you guys saying I should finally get the recall done on my SHO? :ohsnap:

Nobody's fault but my own, I've received at least 6 letters on it. I read once that Ford sends out the most notices of all the manufacturers.

Let me check.......nope, not burning yet!

All you need to do is go disconect the pressure switch and look for fluid. If its dry then don't worry about it. If you see fluid in the connector, leave it disconnected until you can get the recall done.

OK, so I have a question. I've heard it said that it's a TI part and they should share some of the recall cost. OTOH, I've heard others (*cough*Matt*cough*) that say it's a TI part built to Ford specs so Ford should bear the entire cost. So which is it? Is it a TI or Ford designed part?

Look at this article thats a response from TI. Looks like it was a TI design.

http://newscenter.ti.com/Blogs/newsroom/ar...ord-recall.aspx

Look at this article thats a response from TI. Looks like it was a TI design.

http://newscenter.ti.com/Blogs/newsroom/ar...ord-recall.aspx

I interpret that to read that Ford provided specifications and TI designed and manufactured a switch to meet them. That still doesn't precisely address the culpability as the specs could have been deficient.

I'm not trying to hammer Ford or TI. I'm just interested in the specifics of the situation.

I interpret that to read that Ford provided specifications and TI designed and manufactured a switch to meet them. That still doesn't precisely address the culpability as the specs could have been deficient.

I'm not trying to hammer Ford or TI. I'm just interested in the specifics of the situation.

Basically, 10 million parts were manufactured. A couple hundred failed. I would say that's within specs for defective parts.

I would say Ford and TI are both somewhat at fault, but really, it is man-made, and defects are to be expected to a certain extent.

1) It is interesting that Ford publicly threw TI under the bus. I saw that in the article and figured that's the work of the new management team.

2) It is curious that TI goes to great lengths to defend the switch, instead of saying, "we sold that company" and leaving it at that.

3) One can debate the wisdom of having a cruise control circuit that can be powered up even when the vehicle's not operating (treating cruise like lights)-------------however these fires are unquestionably caused by failure of the switch membrane.

Other notes:

It is extremely disingenuous of TI to assert that vacuum pressure is "not related to TI's design or manufacture" of the switch---as Ford was almost certainly assured that these switches were suitable to the use they were put to.

It is also very curious to note that TI continues to use present tense to refer to their involvement in this.

And, most tellingly, they haven't denied helping to defray the cost of the recall.

Edited by RichardJensen