Ford to Build Kuga/Escape in Louisville

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that the escape should be more like the new explorer, than the Kuga.

Kuga may fit better as a Lincoln or mercury.

that's exactly what I've been saying - Escape should stay relatively truck-y looking, while Mercury and Lincoln can get the more swoopy, curvy, true Kuga-like styling.

IIRC, Igor doesn't like the OT banter; wescoent has expressed concern about Ford watching these forums too closely. People have, indeed, been fired/suspended/disciplined for posting confidential info on BON.

Pretty sure both lurk here.

I figured Wescoent was keeping a low profile, I know he doesn't work for Ford per say...from what he's stated prior on here before going mostly silent, he lived in the next County over from me.

I think Igor got pissed at all the trolling that went on around here and has thankfully lessened up in the past 6 months or so since certain people have been banned.

Oh, I'm almost positive he won't let the name be dropped.

I'm less certain that he'll keep cost cutters and europhiles from gutting it.

dont bet on it...everything seems to be moving Northwards....adaptive cruise, self parking, massaging seats, BLIS, SYNCH, navigation.....expect more content and higher MSRPS..........I would also specualte an even smaller SUV to replace where the Escape once resided ( in terms of $ )

cost cutter as in, 'let's save a few and use the EU sheetmetal!'

I am quite sure there will be some differentiation....but :stirpot: hopefully not too much...as you know, I am not completely sold on a few of Fords vehicles, and the Escape is one....its OK, but can be significantly improved on and brought OUT of the dark ages ( styling in my eyes is VERY old school and "dated"...) But, I have all the confidence in the world, fords stylistic trand of late has been pretty impressive....

Those Fords you don't like the looks of are the #2 & #4 best selling products in the range.

I know, and for the life of me i do not know why, 1 word springs to mind though...cost....they ARE excellent value for money, and EXCELLENT cars with redoubtable reliability....but styling leaves me dead, shuddering, sucking my thimb and tirelessly hunting for my "happy place"......

Maybe you're not the final arbiter on what looks good?

all opinions Rich...all opinions....then again, people buy Prius's in the droves no?.........lol....and truth be told, many times VALUE supercedes lust.......for example I would go so far as to say, for most anyways, styling isnt the Escapes hot button, its, IMO ,value, same with the Focus, Prius isnt sold on styling either ( to most ) its mileage...certain cars are bought ( once again i would say by most ) for various reasons, value, perceived dependabilty, mileage, rebates and financing, desirabilty/ status etc etc....me, i like polarising design, would even go so far as to say quirky........Flex is one I love, Edge is excellent, Fusion is OK, taurus, NICE, little bulky, but distictive with a little too much overhang...but a stellor effort, Connect...lol...brazen, in your face, cheezy but definitely distinctive and raises a smile...I could go on, but I rate the Escape and Focus ( albiet better with the blackout ) as stop gap efforts, so I expect more next time around........

Edited by Deanh

Those Fords you don't like the looks of are the #2 & #4 best selling products in the range.

Now they are, but what about two years from now. Of course the Focus gets replaced in about a year which is good. Hopefully the Escape will follow a year after that. Escape will barely be hanging on by then though. The market is so competitive that 4 years is about the most you can get out of vehicle design before sales start to fall significant. Could you imagine Fusion sales right now without 2010 redesign, new I4 engine, Sport, and hybrid. In my view, Escape has one more good year in it sales wise before they start to fall. And yeah, I hope new Escape looks something like present one, but more aerodynamic with at least 10% better fuel mileage.

Now they are, but what about two years from now. Of course the Focus gets replaced in about a year which is good. Hopefully the Escape will follow a year after that. Escape will barely be hanging on by then though. The market is so competitive that 4 years is about the most you can get out of vehicle design before sales start to fall significant. Could you imagine Fusion sales right now without 2010 redesign, new I4 engine, Sport, and hybrid. In my view, Escape has one more good year in it sales wise before they start to fall. And yeah, I hope new Escape looks something like present one, but more aerodynamic with at least 10% better fuel mileage.

like I said, I NOW have the utmost confidence in Fords upcoming succesors......they are finally pushing envelopes a little, and design by commitee/ beancounters/ stockholders seems to be put behind them....witness the Taurus dash, apparently sloping the HVAC was a HUGE undertaking.....

Wrong.

People like how the Focus looks: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/19/in-the-...ocus-ses-coupe/

matts one...lol....car drives great...but styling is purely subjective Rich...I would lay money on the fact styling IS NOT the main reason people buy them, but then again I underline that is MY opinion....what will be interesting is how the buying public reacts to a better looking HIGHER priced global model.........

PPS Rich, case in point, would I be lining up for a Fiesta if it even REMOTELY looked like the current Focii????? hell, Pioneer would be all over my "patootee" again branding me as a hypocrite...( the Mini vs Focus SVT story again ).....

Well, what else does it have going for it besides Sync? This was outselling the Cobalt handily before GM went bellyup.

wow...how weird does the phrase GM going belly up sound????? crazy....get your point, now I lay THIS at your feet....in its price range there really isnt too much competition, if you want a Honda, nix some options, toyota,,,same thing, Hyundai...PLEASE, they are making inroads but consumer confidence doesnt hold a candle to the focii....it really is EXCELLENT bang for the buck, and hard to beat at the price, it rides and drives GREAT...now...I ask....how much better would it have sold if it had other than its current stop-gap do over attempt at a refresh?......course, if the Fiesta falls flat on its face my theory flies RIGHT out the window.....top of MY buying list is styling, THEN I start going down the checklist...others have , as mentioned , different priorities....and in the current Fociis list of strengths, I dont see styling as a standout....side note...Celts or Cavs tonight Rich?

Edited by Deanh

If the Focus had less standout styling, it wouldn't be differentiated from the Cobalt by anything but Sync, and as great as Sync is, it doesn't account for all the difference between the two.

And the same sort of people that like the Focus can like the Fiesta as well--it's not an either/or.

No pick for the game tonight. No clue how Boston is going to start this season.

If the Focus had less standout styling, it wouldn't be differentiated from the Cobalt by anything but Sync, and as great as Sync is, it doesn't account for all the difference between the two.

And the same sort of people that like the Focus can like the Fiesta as well--it's not an either/or.

No pick for the game tonight. No clue how Boston is going to start this season.

28 -17 right now.....Cavs up!!!! go figure....going to be an interesting year due to lineuop changes...and we got ron ron????? could be a plus , could be...........as for the Focus...truly there are no standouts in the segment, and if one goes imports, expect to open the wallet more....Focus IS a great little car...I'm just not sold on the styling, personal taste I know, but I know I'm not alone, but really in the segment, theres NOT a lot of viable alternatives really is there? ( Cobalt is as exciting as melted stale cheese ).....orders for the Fiesta start April 1st I beleive.........I'll be specing...I find THAt car impressive outside AND ( icing in the cake ) in....TWINKIE!