Falcon and Mustang to Share Components

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

numbers wise they may be superior, but they are STILL down 44% on the LS.....dont see anything sucessful about that, especially with a luxury brand i would veiw as being more established than lincoln...lets face it, lincoln has been struggling and was left on the vine for too long, now finally product of merit is arriving and in the pipeline...it will take time, but theres NO doubt in my mind Lincoln WILL eventually be mentioned in the same sentence....BUT its up to the product to earn such "stature"....and they have really had no identity for YEARS!

MKX sales are decent. Hopefully the new model will be able to take a chunk of the ridiculously (for whatever reason) good selling RX. I'm not sure exactly what the MKT is trying to compete with though. It looks like its closest competitor would be the last generation SRX, which sold like crap.

Yeah, I personally don't have much hope on the MKT selling very well. I predict it will top off at 1,000/month tops with this economy. Maybe 20,000/year in good economy which is a long way off.

numbers wise they may be superior, but they are STILL down 44% on the LS.....dont see anything sucessful about that, especially with a luxury brand i would veiw as being more established than lincoln...lets face it, lincoln has been struggling and was left on the vine for too long, now finally product of merit is arriving and in the pipeline...it will take time, but theres NO doubt in my mind Lincoln WILL eventually be mentioned in the same sentence....BUT its up to the product to earn such "stature"....and they have really had no identity for YEARS!

When the top of the line Lexus is down 44% and still matches the best-selling and cheapest Lincoln in sales, I would look upon it as still being successful. Lincoln is off to a good start overall, but the MKT is going to be a failure unless it sees a dramatic restyling. Of course, that's just my opinion, but sales indicate I'm not in the minority.

Edited by NickF1011

I've seen one in person. It still looked like a squashed minivan.

Just like the Flex looks like two Blocks put together :)

The MKT just went on sale this past summer....lets see how it does after being on the market a few years....and I know Ford doesn't have huge expectations for it either.

When the top of the line Lexus is down 44% and still matches the best-selling and cheapest Lincoln in sales, I would look upon it as still being successful. Lincoln is off to a good start overall, but the MKT is going to be a failure unless it sees a dramatic restyling. Of course, that's just my opinion, but sales indicate I'm not in the minority.

I question your thoughts of the MKT being considered a seller of large numbers, I dont think it was/ is intended to be a big seller from the get go....and I dont think Ford thought that either...I think its main purpose is brand recognition, getting people used to the change of mentality at Lincoln, ( ala Hyundais Genesis...they aimed right at the top ) its a pretty DRAMATIC change to be sure, so they aimed squarely at the high end/ low volume end of the market for dramatic effect....I will be really interested to see how the MKX does based on my presumptions.....like it or not, the MKT leaves an impression for sure....

Edited by Deanh

Just like the Flex looks like two Blocks put together :)

The MKT just went on sale this past summer....lets see how it does after being on the market a few years....and I know Ford doesn't have huge expectations for it either.

The Flex is styled nicely on the outside. The MKT just looks awkward to me.

I question your thoughts of the MKT being considered a seller of large numbers, I dont think it was/ is intended to be a big seller from the get go....and I dont think Ford thought that either...I think its main purpose is brand recognition, getting people used to the change of mentality at Lincoln, ( ala Hyundais Genesis...they aimed right at the top ) its a pretty DRAMATIC change to be sure, so they aimed squarely at the high end/ low volume end of the market for dramatic effect....I will be really interested to see how the MKX does based on my presumptions.....like it or not, the MKT leaves an impression for sure....

If Ford was only expecting 800 sales a month from the MKT, they probably should have just spent that money elsewhere. I'm guessing they were expecting more than that at least. The MKT does leave an impression alright. It leaves me with the impression that Lincoln is a lot further off from reclaiming its glory days than I thought.

The Flex is styled nicely on the outside. The MKT just looks awkward to me.

If Ford was only expecting 800 sales a month from the MKT, they probably should have just spent that money elsewhere. I'm guessing they were expecting more than that at least. The MKT does leave an impression alright. It leaves me with the impression that Lincoln is a lot further off from reclaiming its glory days than I thought.

I beleive its purpose is Marketing...like i said...look at what the Genesis did for Hyundai....why did THEY go right to the top rather than something mid-line? smart move if you ask me....mention Genesis and people immediately think 'upmarket" hyundai....perhaps THAT was the MKT's purpose, put the word Lincoln back in peoples vocabulary...who knows, speculation on my behalf. As for the styling....polarizing isnt it....just like the Flex its a love it or leave it...theres no middle ground....and THAt I admire....Lexus LS is BLAND as hell.....looke like 90 % of the luxo barges on the road.....

I beleive its purpose is Marketing...like i said...look at what the Genesis did for Hyundai....why did THEY go right to the top rather than something mid-line? smart move if you ask me....mention Genesis and people immediately think 'upmarket" hyundai....perhaps THAT was the MKT's purpose, put the word Lincoln back in peoples vocabulary...who knows, speculation on my behalf. As for the styling....polarizing isnt it....just like the Flex its a love it or leave it...theres no middle ground....and THAt I admire....Lexus LS is BLAND as hell.....looke like 90 % of the luxo barges on the road.....

If the Genesis is right to the top, what is the Equus?

If Lincoln really wanted to do something for their marketing, they would change their dreadful naming convention. "Em-Kay-Tee" rolls off the tongue about as well as a brick floats on water.

...If Ford was only expecting 800 sales a month from the MKT, they probably should have just spent that money elsewhere. I'm guessing they were expecting more than that at least. The MKT does leave an impression alright. It leaves me with the impression that Lincoln is a lot further off from reclaiming its glory days than I thought.

I still believe that a (flagship) sedan based closely on the MKT is likely

which of course would almost-directly add more volume

If the Genesis is right to the top, what is the Equus?

If Lincoln really wanted to do something for their marketing, they would change their dreadful naming convention. "Em-Kay-Tee" rolls off the tongue about as well as a brick floats on water.

Hyundai is trying to raise the bar...AGAIN....mark my words...if they dont slow down they may end ip shooting themselves in the foot....and agrees on Lincolns nomenclature.....although Zephyr was a huge no no....sounds like the description of a wheezy old guy....

isn't that MKS

I think, and correct me if i am wrong, the MkS and taurus are stopgaps......so, on those lines....whos to say the next underpinnings are NOT what this thread is based on...and BlueII ( whos insight I wholeheartedly respect ) seems to "subtley" echo those thoughts

I think, and correct me if i am wrong, the MkS and taurus are stopgaps......so, on those lines....whos to say the next underpinnings are NOT what this thread is based on...and BlueII ( whos insight I wholeheartedly respect ) seems to "subtley" echo those thoughts

Would be a start. Abandon the ridiculous sounding Em-Kay garbage and find a better way to adapt the split wing grille to other vehicles besides widening and/or lengthening it and Lincoln will be on to something.

And Nick, your remarks about the MKT are not dissimilar to certain comments one hears about the Flex from time to time.

Except that the Flex appears to be gaining meaningful momentum in the marketplace. The MKT has been stagnant since launch. Granted, you need to take risks to make in-roads in market segments, but sometimes you swing and miss.

Except that the Flex appears to be gaining meaningful momentum in the marketplace. The MKT has been stagnant since launch. Granted, you need to take risks to make in-roads in market segments, but sometimes you swing and miss.

Flex also starts sub 30k......

C'mon. The MKT has been on the market for like six or seven months. What were people saying about the Flex after six-seven months on the market?