1200 new jobs THANKS FORD

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-Source-Ford-to-add-1200-apf-379834699.html?x=0&.v=5

"The new Explorer will be built on the same frame as the Taurus sedan, which is built at the Chicago plant.Ford has long had plans to base the once-popular Explorer on a car rather than truck frame. The company says the new one will have SUV-like towing and hauling capacity, but will be more maneuverable and fuel efficient than its predecessor"

If this has been explained many times before, sorry for asking, but HOW do you get suv-like towing/hauling capacity from a FWD sedan?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-Source-Ford-to-add-1200-apf-379834699.html?x=0&.v=5

"The new Explorer will be built on the same frame as the Taurus sedan, which is built at the Chicago plant.Ford has long had plans to base the once-popular Explorer on a car rather than truck frame. The company says the new one will have SUV-like towing and hauling capacity, but will be more maneuverable and fuel efficient than its predecessor"

If this has been explained many times before, sorry for asking, but HOW do you get suv-like towing/hauling capacity from a FWD sedan?

Ford has done it before...LR2 anyone

HOW do you get suv-like towing/hauling capacity from a FWD sedan?

Depends how you define SUV. Is GM Lamda a SUV? Pilot? MDX? They can tow 4,500-5,000#. Flex can tow 4,500#. I would expect the Explorer to to 4,500-5,000# and for Ford to consider that "SUV-like".

Depends how you define SUV. Is GM Lamda a SUV? Pilot? MDX? They can tow 4,500-5,000#. Flex can tow 4,500#. I would expect the Explorer to to 4,500-5,000# and for Ford to consider that "SUV-like".

I thought it had been said by someone on here "in the know" that the tow rating would be 5500# for the Explorer.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/10FLMrvEXPLORERsep09.pdf

Current Explorer can handle 7.115lbs. I guess that's the diff between SUV, and SUV-like.

I wonder what the performance of the SUV-like vehicle is when it tows 5000#, (at capacity) in hilly terrain? Will the ECO give V-8 responce?

Edited by soupy

Looks like new Explorer will not debut at Chicago in couple of weeks. In press release today about Explorer, Ford said later in year and didn't say anything about Chicago Auto Show next month. By "later" in year, I suspect NY Auto Show or LA in the fall. I imagine new Edge will debut next month in Chicago. Maybe new Mercury version of Focus at NY.