New Mercury to be called C4

Could call it a Zero, they seemed to like that name

Japanese_Zero.jpg

I don't think the Chinese were fond of the Zero.

Duh, how stupid of me. I forgot Japan Inc. has built-in barriers to any American product and the 'other' Big Asian seem to accept them. I have to re-educate myself towards friendly communinists and away from supposedly capatalistic society's now.

anything with 4 is a disaster when trying to sell to asian consumers

Well, only to Chinese customers because you know... not all Asians speak Chinese (!) And it's way overblown and approaching urban legend status anyway. Plenty of products have "4" in the name in China.

Audi A4 is selling just fine in China (in fact, it outsells all luxury compact cars combined).

Ford has already demonstrated with Lincoln, that it can't work with the lettering game. There's no cohesive explanation why everything in Lincoln is Mark, well MK, S stands for what? T Stands for what? X Stands for what? And whos this Mark fella? And this started with LS6-LS8, who THEN Toyota had a problem with because it was too close to their naming scheme of LS400 (notice how GM didn't balk at it though). And at least THAT ment "Luxury Sport", and CS, and TC and all that somewhat made sense.

C4 ? I'm waiting to hear what THAT stands for.

Granted, it's probably the best time to start a alphanumeric naming scheme since Sable is out, So will Mounty, so will Grand Pa, so I figure Milan will be probably be their largest sedan and then is that changing to MM4? or CD4?

I heard the new Mercury Focus' name was going to be Mhlm5.... :hysterical: :hysterical:

To those replying that C-4 is a code name for the platform, that is most likely correct. The code name for the 2012 Focus is C-346.

the Focus-based Mercury's codename is C557...

since it doesn't start C3 like the Focus, I'm starting to wonder if it could be based on a different tho related model - like the Grand C-Max?

Edited by 2b2

Back to topic. I am sure all the car history fans are losing sleep that it's not called an older name, but in the grand scale who cares? It's just to placate L-M dealers until Mercury is eventaully phased out. Merc will never make a 'comeback'.

Buick is getting a version of the Cruze, but it's really just to use up extra trim parts from the Chinese Buicks.

Back to topic. I am sure all the car history fans are losing sleep that it's not called an older name, but in the grand scale who cares? It's just to placate L-M dealers until Mercury is eventaully phased out. Merc will never make a 'comeback'.

Buick is getting a version of the Cruze, but it's really just to use up extra trim parts from the Chinese Buicks.

^^^ every party has a pooper^^^ anyway this topic is about an upcoming Mercury product which means the brand will around for a bit, there are plenty of other topics on Mercury's demise you can jump on.

To those replying that C-4 is a code name for the platform, that is most likely correct. The code name for the 2012 Focus is C-346.

the Focus-based Mercury's codename is C557...

while doing a periodic google for Mercury & C557,

I came across a "KML Document" whatever that is

that also mentions a C344

anyone know what that is? maybe just the hatch version of the Focus?

i dont think its the chinese only. japanese and koreans dont like it either. the audi a4 sells fine in china because the chinese are nazis, not because hte number 4 is ffine

China is the "grandfather" of Asia. Even though Korea & Japanese have their unique languages, they still incorporate Chinese into their own. In Japan, Chinese characters are called "Kanji," one of the three Japanese alphabets (for lack of a better term).

The number "4" happens to be like the word "Death" {Shin}. So in any Chinese character using culture, there will be negative connotations. But that pretty much applies to the older folks.... the younger generations aren't quite so sensative.

i dont think its the chinese only. japanese and koreans dont like it either. the audi a4 sells fine in china because the chinese are nazis, not because hte number 4 is ffine

4 sounds like death in Mandarin and Cantonese. It has no special meaning or connotation in Korean or Japanese, or for that matter, most of the other languages spoken in China (besides the 2 I mentioned). But even in China, the supposed aversion to the number 4 is something only silly foreigners say to make him or her appears culturally knowledgeable, when in fact making an ass out of him or herself. :hysterical: Contrary to urban myths, buildings do have 4th floor in Asia... as do #4 bus, flight numbers and room numbers ending in 4. And of course if something costs $4, no one in their right mind will pay $5 just for the hell of it.

so if we can get back on topic, will we know by Chicago?

very unlikely

&

with a rumor that the Focus intro might be sped-up LINK ...

...isn't the Miami Autoshow (of VOGA fame) before LA?

maybe they'll do it there

OR could find a summertime event for it

Edited by 2b2

I believe a good name for the Focus-based Mercury could well be Cougar.

There have been 4-door Cougars as well as station wagons, so why not go with a strong brand name with the car?

If Merc is to have only a few models, including Milan and a Mariner replacement, then at least Cougar is a well-known and respected name. Later, if Merc were to get a 2-door coupe, it could use the Capri name.

Miami auto show is not really known for debuts, it s the crap thats left over from all the other shows, i know they showed the VOGA but thats just a trim package anyway. I am guessing that since chicago is this week and we have to seen not one spy shot that it wont happen, that means ill see what NY is about.

also, ALROZZI, a 4 door cougar is an abomination. worst case at least make a 2 door sports coupe.

not that I'm in favor of a Focus-based Cougar, Saintlaz1

but

what would you think of a Cougar with RX-8 style doors? ie Continental-style ?

one reason for asking is that the Grand C-Max has rear sliders so maybe the structure could accept them...

...and Might be the basis for the C557 - but with a sedan or '4-door-coupe' form-factor of course

Edited by 2b2

not that I'm in favor of a Focus-based Cougar, Saintlaz1

but

what would you think of a Cougar with RX-8 style doors? ie Continental-style ?

one reason for asking is that the Grand C-Max has rear sliders so maybe the structure could accept them...

...and Might be the basis for the C557 - but with a sedan or '4-door-coupe' form-factor of course

The last gen Cougar had prototypes with those rx-8 style doors but the cougar was cancelled before they got it out, there are still pics somewhere showing that if i have to try to find them. .

I dont know 2b2 that doesnt give me a good feeling. lol. If we went Cougar i would accept Mustang Based or Milan Based, i think focus is just to small but if they someone worked there majic into a 2 door based real coupe i might be able to deal it with it.