Ford lays off 900 workers at Mustang/Mazda6 plant

Mazda should move CX-9 production there.

No, wouldn't be a natural fit. Paint shop e-coat dip tanks probably not deep enough? Would have been a good fit in Oakville, but if they didn't do it there, then they're not interested. Plus, they have localized production of the V6 in Japan. Dont' forget that CD3 (M6, Fusion) and CD3s (Edge, CX9) are two different platforms.

Dont see this one happening.

I could see the arrangement at AAI staying the same (one shift) until the next gen Mustang goes into production at which time the Mustang moves to a different plant and Mazda takes complete control of AAI.

Just curious but would it make any sense for Ford to start building Fusions and/or Milans and MKZs at AAI? With sales increasing will the plant in Mexico be able to keep up with demand?

I have wondered all along why Ford would not use AAI as a backup to Hermilsilo. Even if only the Milan and MKZ were moved to AAI, that would be about 50K units a year more- enough to keep the second shift on.

I disagree Blackhorse. My girl best friend, Dave actually, is a garbage man and make about $40k a year. He has 1 kid and is a single dad. After saving for 2 years he made a $9000 down payment and he bought a Mustang. It is not out of reach for most people, just people who are really bad with money. LOL. Don't forget, this is Canada too where he paid $37k for the car.

Buck

Sorry, but I see spending about an entire year's salary on a car (Ford or not), when you're a single dad with a dependent child, as being really bad with money.

Irrespective of his downpayment, it's still about $500/month for a car. (assuming 60 months)

If all goes as planned, AAI will speed up the line even though they are going to one shift. Production will increase for 2010.

Yes, that makes sense. Eliminate down weeks, rebalance. And free up one shift to move across to MAP rather than hiring. Seems like a plan to me.

Still, running on one shift isn't a way to utilize a plant and maximize profits. I'm sure Mazda and Ford are having tough discussions (as they have had from the founding of the plant) in terms of what to do and who owes who what given the volume shortfalls.

Yes, that makes sense. Eliminate down weeks, rebalance. And free up one shift to move across to MAP rather than hiring. Seems like a plan to me.

Still, running on one shift isn't a way to utilize a plant and maximize profits. I'm sure Mazda and Ford are having tough discussions (as they have had from the founding of the plant) in terms of what to do and who owes who what given the volume shortfalls.

Could Mustang be built in a revamped Wayne and Mazda 6 go to Ford's Hermosillo production?

Would shutting AAI be possible or does that put suppliers/people/plants in the wrong places for effective use of resources?

Edited by jpd80

Could Mustang be built in a revamped Wayne and Mazda 6 go to Ford's Hermosillo production?

Would shutting AAI be possible or does that put suppliers/people/plants in the wrong places for effective use of resources?

I'm not in the know, but....

1. I don't think it's necessary to do anything right now. As I mentioned before, picking up a vehicle and moving it is one of those decisons that makes you scream if you have to make it. It's totally money out the door for absolutely no benefit to the customer. And it's not cheap -- think in the range of $100 to $200 million minimum.

2. I don't think shutting AAI is in the cards. It's a Mazda/Ford JV plant and gives Mazda a manufacturing presence in the U.S. Besides that, AAI is a pretty good plant with integrated stamping.

3. I'm not buying any rumors of vehicles moving to Wayne. As I mentioned previously, that plant will be cut off from the flow once MAP is on line. So the body shop on the south side of the RR tracks will be feeding into a system that will transport material over to the new MAP. I'm also going to guess that Ford is preparing the capacity for 3-crew operation. Presently they build bodies and transport them over an overpass to the Wayne plant. I'm not saying you can't do it, but Wayne is integrated stamping and assembly plant. So you would have to bring metal into a plant that was never intended to receive metal. And...you have to think of Wayne as an empty shell. Sure, maybe the paint shop could be reused, but everything else would have to be completely torn out and redone -- think $300-500 million with no customer benefit.

4. No need to do anything until a decison is made on some future programs including next-generation Mustang, and even then it can stay where it is with no problem unless Ford were to want to make enough derivatives to justify a move into a new plant.

5. Hermosillo is full. And don't forget that Ford and Mazda might have 2 different platforms for c/d when the CD4 is introduced and is likely to look more like EUCD than CD3. So I see Ford installing more sedan capacity somewhere -- Oakville is a possibility when the Edge goes CD4.

So really the best part is moving 900 odd workers over to MAP and keeping AAI at one strong day shift. Ford may think that the odd Saturday's production is better than upping line speed and committing to increased pace immediately, overtime and elimination of some planned maintenance days are ways of improving efficiency in a single shift plant - that's the current theory at FoA's Broadmeadows plant...

Edited by jpd80

So really the best part is moving 900 odd workers over to MAP and keeping AAI at one strong day shift. Ford may think that the odd Saturday's production is better than upping line speed and committing to increased pace immediately, overtime and elimination of some planned maintenance days are ways of improving efficiency in a single shift plant - that's the current theory at FoA's Broadmeadows plant...

That's what I'm thinking. But this had to be agreed with Mazda, and I'm sure it was very difficult for them to somewhat throw in the towel on the new Mazda 6 upside potential.

Chicago is the logical choice for CD4 Fusion production since the Taurus will be moving onto the LWB of it.

Taurus will not be shifting off D3 just yet, there is one more MCE due for 2013 MY.

Fusion, Milan and MKZ will stay at Hermosillo and will switch to CD4 about that time.

• Like 1

Taurus will not be shifting off D3 just yet, there is one more MCE due for 2013 MY.

Fusion, Milan and MKZ will stay at Hermosillo and will switch to CD4 about that time.

Taurus's MCE is MY12. Fusion is all new for MY13. If they decide to keep the second half of Taurus to two years fro MY14, it would make since. Chicago has two lines. So while one switches over Taurus and Fusion (entering its second year and hopefully high sales), the other can continue with Explorer and Police Cruiser.

AAI is increasing the line speed.

I do not think Hermilsilo could handle any more production. Besides, moving US work to Mexico and closing plants would not be too politically astute for Mazda.

Taurus's MCE is MY12. Fusion is all new for MY13. If they decide to keep the second half of Taurus to two years fro MY14, it would make since. Chicago has two lines. So while one switches over Taurus and Fusion (entering its second year and hopefully high sales), the other can continue with Explorer and Police Cruiser.

Splitting supply contracts ahead of a full change over doesn't make sense, I think the added complication is unwarranted and Ford will keep Chicago as a D3 plant as long as possible.

Splitting supply contracts ahead of a full change over doesn't make sense, I think the added complication is unwarranted and Ford will keep Chicago as a D3 plant as long as possible.

But you'd think Chicago would be one of the locations where tier 2 assembly wages won't work. Much to high a cost of living.

You'd think that if Ford's goals are to stock it's plants with tier 2 workers then they would need those location to be places where someone could possibly live on tier 2 wages.

Chicago is the logical choice for CD4 Fusion production since the Taurus will be moving onto the LWB of it.

Chicago was designed as a modular plant with a lot of subs coming from outside the plant. What that did was eliminate floor space and limit derivative capability. I don't know enough, but I'm thinking a second platform in that plant could be an issue.

I can think of another plan. Move all D3's to Chicago, and make Oakville a CD4 plant with sedans (including Taurus) and whatever Edge turns into. This would not have to be done as the first step of CD4, but as a second increment. But, as you are aware, these kinds of decisions are extremely complex with lots of cost implications and knock-on effects.

Oakville was originally considered as a second plant of sedans when the original CD3 program was initiated, but uncertainty in volumes and cost kept it from happening. And the original proposal for the Edge was based off of the CD3 sedan platform, not the Mazda MPV (i.e. CD3s).

Edit: If you did this you could leave a vestigial D3 Taurus in Chicago as a cop car.

Edited by Austin

I do not think Hermilsilo could handle any more production. Besides, moving US work to Mexico and closing plants would not be too politically astute for Mazda.

All I know is I`m tired of being a part of a TRANSPLANT ! I think it`s time for MAZDA to build their plant in MEXICO and for FORD to load up the AUTO ALLAINCE plant and make it FLAT ROCK ASSEMBLY with the BLUE OVAL and all ! We deserve it we have the best QUALITY in the AMERICAN plants and a FLEXIBLE work force ! Go home MAZDA !

All I know is I`m tired of being a part of a TRANSPLANT ! I think it`s time for MAZDA to build their plant in MEXICO and for FORD to load up the AUTO ALLAINCE plant and make it FLAT ROCK ASSEMBLY with the BLUE OVAL and all ! We deserve it we have the best QUALITY in the AMERICAN plants and a FLEXIBLE work force ! Go home MAZDA !

And another thing we have the best SKILLEDTRADES dept. in the ford system , We only have around 200 Mechanics and Electricans that is lower then any other plant in the FORD system and now their going to cut it down even more which is not right !

Edited by UAWANDPROUD48134

I think this is really doubtful...keep in mind that the MKS is also going to be most likely be on the LWB CD4 also...and Ford has to figure out how its going to balance out production of the Edge and Flex on top of that...which is also related to the CD4 development and future D3 replacement improvement

Then lets not forget about that GRWD might be coming soon then later if Ford keeps making $$$ and it would be a good fit to put the Mustang in the same plant with it or move the Mustang to that plant.