2012+ Escape

mettech

The edge is starting to grow on me, maybe this will too. I'm still pretty anxious to see what the final product will finally look like.

Well, I think Ford's bet (and I think it's a safe one) is that fewer customers will be turned off by its lack of traditional 2-box SUV design cues than customers who were previously uninterested in it because it had traditional 2-box SUV styling. They are out-CRV-ing the CRV.

Well, I think Ford's bet (and I think it's a safe one) is that fewer customers will be turned off by its lack of traditional 2-box SUV design cues than customers who were previously uninterested in it because it had traditional 2-box SUV styling. They are out-CRV-ing the CRV.

But why?

I've seen the edge and it doesn't look much different in size from the escape.... do we really need TWO crossovery looking vehicles?

But why?

I've seen the edge and it doesn't look much different in size from the escape.... do we really need TWO crossovery looking vehicles?

The new Escape will be priced below the Edge. It will still be every bit as capable as the current Escape, perhaps more capable, and get better mileage. And personally I think the new body style is an improvement.

The new Escape will be priced below the Edge. It will still be every bit as capable as the current Escape, perhaps more capable, and get better mileage. And personally I think the new body style is an improvement.

Of course as a new 2011 Escape owner I am probably biased, but I don't really think it is an improvement. Sure the Escape (hopefully they keep the name) is boxy and looks like a little truck, but I really think that is a selling point. All this does is make it look like everything else on the market. I would be surprised if this Vertrek can deliver sales numbers like the Escape does right now. The Escape stands out from the rest of the CUVs even if some think it has an old boxy SUV truck look. A lot of people like that tough outdoor look.

Since this vehicle will probably be 4 cylinder only I doubt it will be more capable when it comes to towing compared to the current Escape V6. Sure nobody buys an Escape to tow a heavy load, but the V6 does well with smaller trailers and pop-up campers. I doubt this one will even have a towing package available. Also if it sits lower and has less ground clearance it won't do as well in snow and won't have any off road ability. Granted the current Escape isn't really an off roader, but it has plenty of ground clearance and is robust enough for some light duty off-roading or semi-improved trail driving. This vehicle looks like a pavement only vehicle to me.

But why?

Have you been inside both? The size difference is readily apparent, as are the powertrain choices and other features. I didn't look at the Escape for more than a glancing moment before moving on to the Edge.

All this does is make it look like everything else on the market. I would be surprised if this Vertrek can deliver sales numbers like the Escape does right now. The Escape stands out from the rest of the CUVs even if some think it has an old boxy SUV truck look. A lot of people like that tough outdoor look.

All of those other small CUVs account for a heck of a lot more sales than the Escape does. The only way the Escape is going to expand its market presence is to do what its competitors do, only better. "Different" only takes you so far sometimes and really limits your appeal to the overall market.

Since this vehicle will probably be 4 cylinder only I doubt it will be more capable when it comes to towing compared to the current Escape V6.

Didn't we hear these same gripes about the Explorer? It's available with a 5000 lb tow rating. I have the feeling the new Escape will be at least as capable as the current one in that department.

Have you been inside both? The size difference is readily apparent, as are the powertrain choices and other features.

The size difference will be less once the Verscape shows up. Features should be on par with the Edge, if not exceed them, given the timing. Powertrains will be different.

I didn't look at the Escape for more than a glancing moment before moving on to the Edge.

You probably didn't consider a Corvette either, that doesn't mean there aren't people who would. I didn't consider the Edge when I got my Flex.

All of those other small CUVs account for a heck of a lot more sales than the Escape does.

Howso? The only CUV which outsold the Escape last year was the CRV, and it barely did so. If you include Mariner sales Escape/Mariner handily outsell them all.

The only way the Escape is going to expand its market presence is to do what its competitors do, only better.

I doubt the Verscape will sell in Escape numbers (likewise for the new Focus). But Ford is not GM. Volume is not the be all end all. One of the reasons the Escape sells well is it's value/price. I highly doubt Ford will have the Verscape selling for the same amount as the current Escape.

The size difference will be less once the Verscape shows up. Features should be on par with the Edge, if not exceed them, given the timing. Powertrains will be different.

It will be marginally larger than the current one, but still considerably smaller than the Edge. And I doubt it will have some of the upscale options found on the Limited and Sport.

You probably didn't consider a Corvette either, that doesn't mean there aren't people who would. I didn't consider the Edge when I got my Flex.

I didn't consider it because it was damn near as cramped inside as a Corvette. It's clearly a compact CUV compared to the Edge.

Howso? The only CUV which outsold the Escape last year was the CRV, and it barely did so. If you include Mariner sales Escape/Mariner handily outsell them all.

I didn't say any of them outsold the Escape. I said their market is larger. Combine just the CRV and RAV4 and you're looking at a larger segment of the market looking for "stylized" CUVs over boxy "trucky" ones. Then add in everything else in the segment and the Escape's market for "truck" CUVs is pretty small by comparison.

I doubt the Verscape will sell in Escape numbers (likewise for the new Focus). But Ford is not GM. Volume is not the be all end all. One of the reasons the Escape sells well is it's value/price. I highly doubt Ford will have the Verscape selling for the same amount as the current Escape.

I predict it becomes the best-selling small CUV on the market, consistently outperforming the CRV and RAV4. But more importantly as you mentioned, Ford will no longer have to be a value leader. If it wasn't a value leader now, the market for so-called "in-demand" truck CUV's would be even smaller yet.

On a related note -- George Pipas said the new Explorer is selling on average at $6000 more than the "trucky" outgoing on. If the new Escape can accomplish anything even close to that, good riddance to the current one.

I predict it becomes the best-selling small CUV on the market, consistently outperforming the CRV and RAV4. But more importantly as you mentioned, Ford will no longer have to be a value leader. If it wasn't a value leader now, the market for so-called "in-demand" truck CUV's would be even smaller yet.

Yep I'm sure it will out CRV the CRV when it comes to selling to 50+ year old women. As far as being certain it will become the number 1 selling CUV with "me too" styling? I guess only time will tell.

The current Escape is getting old, so will Ford bring the Kuga to replace the Escape, or will go right to the Vertrek? I think that they should go right to the Vertrek, even though I also think that the Kuga is nicer than the current Escape.

The discussion about making a Lincoln version of the Escape/Kuga is very interesting, because I believe Mercedes has been successful with the CLK-Class. I think that it is do-able and might actually help the Lincoln label.

The current Escape is getting old, so will Ford bring the Kuga to replace the Escape, or will go right to the Vertrek? I think that they should go right to the Vertrek, even though I also think that the Kuga is nicer than the current Escape.

The discussion about making a Lincoln version of the Escape/Kuga is very interesting, because I believe Mercedes has been successful with the CLK-Class. I think that it is do-able and might actually help the Lincoln label.

Vertrek concept IS the next gen Escape and Kuga. While they will (likely) continue with separate model names, they'll be the same vehicle.

So you know for sure that Ford is going with the Vertrek to replace both the Escape and the Kuga?

It may look like the strange lovechild of the 2012 Ford Focus and the European-spec Kuga crossover, but the Blue Oval's new Vertrek crossover concept is indeed a visual upgrade compared to current small CUV offerings. The Vertrek, which makes its world debut here at the Detroit Auto Show, previews what's in store for Ford's new global small crossover, set to replace both the Escape here in North America as well as the Kuga abroad.

LINK - Autoblog

I'm 100% certain. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer. :beerchug:

For those worried about towing/payload capacity one only needs to look to the F150 EcoBoost to see what Ford can do... I'm expecting a I4 Ecoboost option to come in at 260 hp, 20 hp greater than the 3L V6, and should easily match the 3,500 lb towing that the current Escape. If Ford can get the F150 Ecoboost to tow over 15,000 lb that shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they upgrade the ride an interior on the new Escape. It is the one thing that has kept me from buying them. I sit in there and I feel like I am sitting on concrete lol. I loved my Edge though and have a new Explorer on the way!

Congrats on your new Explorer! What color did you choose? I saw the Kona blue the other day, Beautiful!

I hope that Ford goes forward with the Vertrek, because it is great and has been very well received!

Congrats on your new Explorer! What color did you choose? I saw the Kona blue the other day, Beautiful!

I hope that Ford goes forward with the Vertrek, because it is great and has been very well received!

I do like the Kona Blue as well. I was between that and the Red Candy I chose on my Edge.

As for the Escape, based on the most recent spy shots, it appears that the new Escape will be very similar to the Vertrek concept.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am also interested in the new version of the Escape. Any up to date information on this product would be great.

Nothing in stone yet unfortunately. It will likely get the 2.0 EB to replace the V6 as the top engine choice. Should be available early next year. Unveil will probably be LA auto show...