Ford Interceptor Press Release

The current PI has no Crown Victoria badge on it also, but it is included in CV sales #'s. The newer PI will be lumped in with Taurus #'s.

The Explorer wagon will get a PI version, just as i expected a while ago.

Wrong...my local PD just picked up some new Crown Victoria Police Interceptors and it says "Crown Victoria" right on the car. Ford also pitches it as the "Crown Victoria Police Interceptor"

Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Ford will come out with a non-police interceptor model with the grille and lack of Taurus badging to be the taxi replacement that NYC and other large metro areas need. Think along the lines of the PI grille and lack of trim, argent rims, rubber floor liner, beefed suspension pieces, with the cross-beam at the "B" pillar....a 3.0L hybrid Duratec....man, that would just about put all the other taxis' right on the trailers....just call it "LTD" or something along those lines...but please...leave the "500" name or "Five Hundred" name in the history books. And for god sakes, do not ever sell it to rental agencies....

I think the Transit would work better for Taxi duty.

Tell you what, if Ford can get the taxi companies interested, they might be on a winner especially with a switch to GEN III Focus platforms, maybe 1.6 Ecoboost or even hybrid??

I wonder whether the old panther is being replaced on two fronts.....

Hey, 2.0 EB Paddy wagon.......

Edited by jpd80

Well, to be honest, I wasn't in a good frame of mind last night anyway. I will say this: When you drive home in the middle of the night everyday on a 38 mile one-way commute and you meet oncoming traffic on a divided highway and you find out "oh, yeah, we never caught him", it's not helping the perception. When you read about an excessively intoxicated person who did what I described in my original post and the first time a LEO is involved is when they arrive at the scene of a triple fatality, it's not helping the perception.

I'm not trying to be an asshole on purpose here, but cops responding to domestic abuse cases, robberies in progress, assaults, etc ARE putting their lives on the line for me and they have my respect. The WSP is not out there saving my life---it's raising revenue for the nearly bankrupt State of Wisconsin. And I will stipulate that performing those traffic stops ARE unfortunately, very high-risk for LEOs. They get respect and honesty from me when I am stopped. It doesn't mean I have to like it. It does mean they deserve the best-performing, safest PI they can get. From the looks of it, that's exactly what Ford's done here.

As for cops I know, this is from an actual police officer, repeating an oft-heard phrase on topic of carrying concealed weapons: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." That is NOT a dig on cops---it's reality. No cop is going to stop a criminal determined to kill me: My safety is my responsibility.

I'm still gonna disagree with this statement: "The WSP is not out there saving my life." Again, you have no idea of what you speak.

The two most dangerous things a police officer does are responding to domestic problems and making traffic stops. The vast majority of what state troopers do is enforce traffic laws by affecting traffic stops on violators, which means their job is extremely dangerous just by its nature. This doesn't even take into account the dangers of being struck in the roadway either accidentally or on purpose as has happened. Troopers never know if the violator will be speeding to flee from a violent crime - as is sometimes the case. The thing is, before they stop the car, they don't know if the driver will be a compliant citizen who is moving along too quickly or that fleeing felon. People drive like idiots these days - eating, reading, doing crossword puzzles, talking on the phone, texting, having sex, imbibing, etc. Many just drive selfishly - cutting off cars, driving on the shoulder, speeding, passing on on-ramps, and driving recklessly. Because of all of these unsafe actions that we all see everyday on the highway, I wish there were more troopers out there because apparently there aren't enough to catch all of the violators.

Traffic enforcement does accomplish a few things - it educates drivers (so many who get a ticket will say "I'll never speed there again!"), it punishes violators who are unwilling to follow the law, and it encourages those who observe the enforcement action to drive more safely. It does, in fact, prevent accidents and save lives as troopers and other cops get drunks and unsafe drivers off the roads.

You site one example, a rare type of incident, a wrong way driver who got away in the middle of the night, as the basis for your disdain for the officers. Do you know if the witness provided enough information for a follow up investigation? Do you know that no other police officer ever caught that driver farther down the road? Were the troopers assigned to patrol that area tied up on another call (an accident, an assist of another agency, a DUI?)? Do you really think cops can be everywhere at once? You just don't have enough information to make such judgments, which makes them invalid.

If you do travel the same route every night, then you must know when the troopers are out there, where they sit to monitor traffic, and what laws they enforce. Pay attention, drive the limit, and follow the other traffic laws and you won't get stopped and ticketed. Bring attention to yourself by driving poorly and you'll get stopped. Then the next time you drive through that area, you'll remember being stopped and you'll likely correct your behavior by slowing down, using your signal, or staying in your lane. It's that simple for most people.

Finally, your statement, "No cop is going to stop a criminal determined to kill me: My safety is my responsibility," is very true. Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. Cops can't be everywhere and they can't be held accountable for the commission of crimes - the criminals are accountable for that. But traffic enforcement is the issue here, not assassins. Enforcement of traffic laws can and does correct behaviors, which in fact saves lives.

Drive safely.

Edited by T'Cal

I'll get off my soap box now.

While I'm disappointed that Ford chose the FWD Taurus to be the next PI, I'm intrigued by the idea that the new Explorer will also be pursuit rated. Other than the RWD Tahoe, the SUVs that Ford and Chevy offer are "special service" packages that are heavy duty but not pursuit rated. I'm hoping that AWD is made at least optional on the NA V6 versions of both the sedan and the SUV. I still believe that an AWD Taurus would be a pretty good PI and likely a worthy successor to the CVPI but in FWD only, it is little more than a better Impala, a fair police car at best. As for the twin turbo Ecoboost V6, I'm betting it will be cost prohibitive for most agencies - expensive to buy and to maintain.

I'm still gonna disagree with this statement: "The WSP is not out there saving my life." Again, you have no idea of what you speak.

The two most dangerous things a police officer does are responding to domestic problems and making traffic stops.

Hey, I understand I took a difficult-to-defend position and probably one that wasn't real popular or well-balanced. But, at least read what I write instead of reacting. I said exactly the same thing you just wrote! I acknowledged the danger officers face on traffic stops and unknown risks on domestic cases. Say what you want, but don't go off half-cocked without reading what I write first.

You site one example, a rare type of incident, a wrong way driver who got away in the middle of the night, as the basis for your disdain for the officers. Do you know if the witness provided enough information for a follow up investigation? Do you know that no other police officer ever caught that driver farther down the road? Were the troopers assigned to patrol that area tied up on another call (an accident, an assist of another agency, a DUI?)? Do you really think cops can be everywhere at once? You just don't have enough information to make such judgments, which makes them invalid.

BZZT. Again, CHOOSING to either NOT read what I wrote or completely ignore after reading it. I was the witness! The wrong-way driver met ME on the highway. This isn't a third-hand story. This POS jeopardized MY life. And, I KNOW he wasn't caught "further down the road" because the very next day, I talked to a county dispatcher who was on duty the night before and told me he got away. And, when I called 911 after I met the wrong-way driver, the dispatcher told me "we have lots of officers on the way...people have been calling in." This isn't as rare as it should be---my incident was a first-hand example. The other example I gave, where the highly intoxicated driver killed 3 people is another. A friend who drives the same route at the same time of day I do meeting 3 wrong-way drivers over the last 2 years is another. YOU'RE the one without enough information, apparently.

Drive safely.

I do. Apparently, you (AGAIN!) missed the part where I drive 27k miles a year in all kinds of weather, in all kinds of traffic, in all kinds of cities and in 18 years of driving, have 1 speeding ticket and 1 minor fender-bender (at 18, totally my fault).

Look, my position isn't disrespect for the police or WSP. It may be disdain for the WSP, but it really all started with another post that went along the lines of "Well, they're be there to respond when you need them." All too often, they respond AFTER I "NEED" them. It happens everyday and it's not really their fault...as you noted, they can't be everywhere, all the time. But holding up writing tickets for going 75 in a 65 as some life-saving public service is nonsense.

Hey, I understand I took a difficult-to-defend position and probably one that wasn't real popular or well-balanced. But, at least read what I write instead of reacting. I said exactly the same thing you just wrote! I acknowledged the danger officers face on traffic stops and unknown risks on domestic cases. Say what you want, but don't go off half-cocked without reading what I write first.

BZZT. Again, CHOOSING to either NOT read what I wrote or completely ignore after reading it. I was the witness! The wrong-way driver met ME on the highway. This isn't a third-hand story. This POS jeopardized MY life. And, I KNOW he wasn't caught "further down the road" because the very next day, I talked to a county dispatcher who was on duty the night before and told me he got away. And, when I called 911 after I met the wrong-way driver, the dispatcher told me "we have lots of officers on the way...people have been calling in." This isn't as rare as it should be---my incident was a first-hand example. The other example I gave, where the highly intoxicated driver killed 3 people is another. A friend who drives the same route at the same time of day I do meeting 3 wrong-way drivers over the last 2 years is another. YOU'RE the one without enough information, apparently.

I do. Apparently, you (AGAIN!) missed the part where I drive 27k miles a year in all kinds of weather, in all kinds of traffic, in all kinds of cities and in 18 years of driving, have 1 speeding ticket and 1 minor fender-bender (at 18, totally my fault).

Look, my position isn't disrespect for the police or WSP. It may be disdain for the WSP, but it really all started with another post that went along the lines of "Well, they're be there to respond when you need them." All too often, they respond AFTER I "NEED" them. It happens everyday and it's not really their fault...as you noted, they can't be everywhere, all the time. But holding up writing tickets for going 75 in a 65 as some life-saving public service is nonsense.

We'll agree on some things but not on others. It looks like we're both good with that.

What do you think about the Taurus and Explorer PIs?

Wow... Ford sticking to its AWD/FWD Guns

Nice looking car and great police chase entry behind the CV on the web broadcast this morning!

As i suspected: No "Taurus" badging or even a mention of it.

3.5L EcoBoost is the consolation prize for RWD fans

CASE U MISTED IT , THEY USED THE CROWN VIC TO CRASH THE WALL SO THE TAURUS COULD GET THOUGH HA HA HA THATS WHAT I SEEN ! TAURUS WELL NEVER REPLACE A REAR WHEEL PLATFORM AWD OR FWD NEVER !

Edited by spazzy

Well, actually, it's going to replace it...NEXT YEAR.

well for now it well replace it , but don't think that ford won't anwser back in 2012 when the capris is onveiled with there own rear wheel platform he he he ! anybody see a falcon around hmmmm 2012 going to a good year caw and uaw in contract talks with the company and the games begin he he he he . mAy the race to the bottom win ! worker against worker !

well for now it well replace it , but don't think that ford won't anwser back in 2012 when the capris is onveiled with there own rear wheel platform he he he ! anybody see a falcon around hmmmm 2012 going to a good year caw and uaw in contract talks with the company and the games begin he he he he . mAy the race to the bottom win ! worker against worker !

Goodness. I can see why you chose the screen name you did. :drop:

We'll agree on some things but not on others. It looks like we're both good with that.

What do you think about the Taurus and Explorer PIs?

Well, considering I knew there was no way the Taurus PI was going to get even a new front clip, etc I think Ford did the best they could to hide the fact that the PI is a Taurus. I am not completely sold that if I bought a SHO people AREN'T going to think "cop car"....most of the public is oblivious. Plus, the CV's problem is that there were virtually no retail sales and almost every cop car around here is a CV, so when you see ANY CV, you think "cop car". I have hope that Ford will have so many Taurus retail sales that the fact it's also a cop car will be a second thought.

That said, it will still give me pause when considering whether I want to shell out 40k for a SHO, even if I am the only one that knows it's a cop car, where before I wouldn't have even blinked.

Well, considering I knew there was no way the Taurus PI was going to get even a new front clip, etc I think Ford did the best they could to hide the fact that the PI is a Taurus. I am not completely sold that if I bought a SHO people AREN'T going to think "cop car"....most of the public is oblivious. Plus, the CV's problem is that there were virtually no retail sales and almost every cop car around here is a CV, so when you see ANY CV, you think "cop car". I have hope that Ford will have so many Taurus retail sales that the fact it's also a cop car will be a second thought.

That said, it will still give me pause when considering whether I want to shell out 40k for a SHO, even if I am the only one that knows it's a cop car, where before I wouldn't have even blinked.

This one little line CNN Money got me thinking: "Ford isn't about to give up on that market and all the sales -- and the prestige -- that it brings"

There once was a time when some (I say "some" because there were 6 cylinder police cars for light duty even then) police cars WERE the envy (and fear) of motorheads. When they were something special. The Crown Vic really wasn't special in a performance sense. Like a 1964 Interceptor with a solid lifter 390 V8, the new Boosted Interceptor can capture some of that old magic and prestige. And awe! The old Muscle Cop Cars are very collectible, something the CV probably won't be. The Taurus could be...............

1964Ford041.jpg

CASE U MISTED IT , THEY USED THE CROWN VIC TO CRASH THE WALL SO THE TAURUS COULD GET THOUGH HA HA HA THATS WHAT I SEEN ! TAURUS WELL NEVER REPLACE A REAR WHEEL PLATFORM AWD OR FWD NEVER !

And I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with the fact that it signifies transition from the old to the new... :rolleyes:

I had a discussion last night with a MI Stat Trooper (remember they, and the LA County Sheriffs are both doing testing on this vehicle). Interestingly, he biggest concern was that municipality could buy the V6/FWD version (as a cost savings) which he felt was underpowered.

After spending a month in a V6 Edge that was fully loaded with passengers and

luggage, I've gotta say Ford's FWDs are by no means underpowered...

Sure it's not a Taurus PI but, the extra weight we had on made for a reasonable

comparison and that 6-speed auto does an incredible job of launching the car.

Most magazines are reporting the FWD N/A Taurus' 0-60 times as about 7.1 seconds, whereas the 2010 Michigan State Police test of CVPIs show 8.88 seconds with 3.27 gears and 8.42 with 3.55 gears. The naturally aspirated Taurus WILL be faster and more fuel efficient than the CVPI, no doubt, but handling, roominess, and especially durability are real concerns for it as a PI. Early on, I'm leaning toward Chevy's Caprice in this battle. It'll offer a package more similar to what the vast majority of officers are driving now - CVPIs - but with real improvements in handling, roominess, and performance. That's going to sway a lot of agencies. Still, those that are currently driving the cheaper-to-buy FWD Impalas will likely consider the Taurus PI when it comes out.

Edited by T'Cal

It'll offer a package more similar to what the vast majority of officers are driving now - CVPIs - but with real improvements in handling, roominess, and performance.

The V6 won't offer improvements in handling & performance.

And I don't think either model will be as tough as the Taurus or CVPI.

Unless GM has radically different standards for its RWD Aussie cars----which, judging by the GTO is not the case--the Caprice will not have coachwork as durable as the CVPI or the Taurus.